MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

Call me easy to please but I liked Aquaman 2, and Thor: Love and Thunder, and The Flash. They were fun. Yes, I wish they'd done more with Jane Foster before they unceremoniously sent her to Valhalla but I'm not going to judge what I didn't get. What I got was nice.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Now imagine fox had stuck to the December 2018 release of Alita Battle Angel. It would have easily done 150+m domestic and 400+M overseas and $550+ million worldwide. Idiots. 

No it wouldn’t have lol

On 12/31/2023 at 5:07 PM, HummingLemon496 said:

We're not getting an Aquaman 3

People are acting like a film barely breaking even is some great triumph.

Yes it is better then losing money, but studios do not spend the kind of money on a  movie for it to break even. They will not get a good profit for investment ratio for Aqua 2. And it is all about the profits, baby.

On 1/1/2024 at 6:48 AM, Human said:

I still hear this will be a bigger bomb than The Marvels.  It has now passed TM both domestically and worldwide.  

It is not a bigger bomb then the Marvels but it is still a failure for DC/Warners. Breaking even or making a small profit on a big investment is not a sucess.

12 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It is not a bigger bomb then the Marvels but it is still a failure for DC/Warners. Breaking even or making a small profit on a big investment is not a sucess.

I (mostly) agree with your main point but the thing is that not even gonna break even :hahaha:

$380-390M on a very OS heavy gross on a $205-215M budget is a flop. And that's with holiday legs, swap it with Dune II and it goes sub-$100M domestic and sub-Flash worldwide 

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I did not say it is not a failure.  I said it is not the biggest failure of the year, and youtube analysts and reddit commenters should quit saying it will finish as the biggest failure of the year.  

I work at Walmart.  Its toys are selling better than Wish, but not very good.  That means its only chance at success is to leg out to around 450M worldwide and be a home media juggernaut.  All that just to hopefully break even.

It is like that Basketball game where my team was clobbered, but I made some nice highlights in garbage time.  We all knew they crushed us, but it was at least a happy 4th period where we beat their scrubs.

23 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Monday is 89.17% of Pitch Perfect 3 adjusted which went on to add $39,131,300 for the rest of its run. Still looking like a ~$120M domestic total. Deadline was just being Deadline when they said it could finish at $150M domestically.

Update: Tuesday is 84.08% of Pitch Perfect 3 adjusted, which went on to add $36,472,158 for the rest of its run. Applying the Tuesday/Tuesday ratio to the rest of its run would give Aquaman 2 a $118.18M final. 

Edited by HummingLemon496

3 minutes ago, Human said:

I did not say it is not a failure.  I said it is not the biggest failure of the year, and youtube analysts and reddit commenters should quit saying it will finish as the biggest failure of the year.  

I work at Walmart.  Its toys are selling better than Wish, but not very good.  That means its only chance at success is to leg out to around 450M worldwide and be a home media juggernaut.  All that just to hopefully break even.

It is like that Basketball game where my team was clobbered, but I made some nice highlights in garbage time.  We all knew they crushed us, but it was at least a happy 4th period where we beat their scrubs.

Based on comps the domestic ceiling is ~$120M so it won't make it to $450M worldwide. 

19 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I (mostly) agree with your main point but the thing is that not even gonna break even :hahaha:

$380-390M on a very OS heavy gross on a $205-215M budget is a flop. And that's with holiday legs, swap it with Dune II and it goes sub-$100M domestic and sub-Flash worldwide 

I agree it's breaking even is far from a done deal. my point is  it's just breaking even is not some great victory Studios spend this kind of money expecting big profits. Aqu2 will not be a good return on investment.

people are having a hard time accepting that the days of the CBM as a dominant box office genre is over. Yes, the occasional CBM will still be a hit,but the days when you could spend 175 to 225 million on almost any CBM and be pretty sure of making a good profit are over. 

2023  will be the year that CBM's lost, for the foreseeable future, their dominance of the box office. CBM's will still be made and some will still make money, bu tthe almost total dominance is over. And I don't see any single genre taking it place in terms of total dominance at the box office.We won't have a reallyt dominant genre for a while.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

I agree it's breaking even is far from a done deal. my point is  it's just breaking even is not some great victory Studios spend this kind of money expecting big profits. Aqu2 will not be a good return on investment.

people are having a hard time accepting that the days of the CBM as a dominant box office genre is over. Yes, the occasional CBM will still be a hit,but the days when you could spend 175 to 225 million on almost any CBM and be pretty sure of making a good profit are over. 

Yes, that is true. I am a little confused that some people are trying to stretch this movie not losing as much money as The Flash into "this is a success and WB should make an else worlds Aquaman 3"

at Least the Aqua vs Wonka contest is over. Wonka is nearing 450 Milliion and since Warners kept the cost down to 125 million for Wonka, they will end up making lot of money with Wonka. A very good return for Investment. Not going to happen with Aqua 2.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1