MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

1 minute ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I doubt competition affects internal weekend drops like this. It's definitely word of mouth.

But even Migration didn't increase from its Friday and Wonka decreased from projections as well, despite both having great WOM. 

• Like 2

Anecdotal as all hell, but traffic was nuts around town today.  You have normal weekend shopping plus "SHIT, Xmas Eve is on a Sunday.  I don't want to do last minute shopping on a Sunday, I'm gonna do it all today!" 

That is to say, I think some of the normal-ish weekend shopping/activities that would be done on a Sunday were shifted into Saturday and then on top of that you had last minute Xmas preparations.

Not too surprising to me if Sat grosses were down a smidge across the board from some earlier hopes.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Anecdotal as all hell, but traffic was nuts around town today.  You have normal weekend shopping plus "SHIT, Xmas Eve is on a Sunday.  I don't want to do last minute shopping on a Sunday, I'm gonna do it all today!" 

That is to say, I think some of the normal-ish weekend shopping/activities that would be done on a Sunday were shifted into Saturday and then on top of that you had last minute Xmas preparations.

Not too surprising to me if Sat grosses were down a smidge across the board from some earlier hopes.

Yep. Saturday grosses were meh across the board today. This isn't just an Aquaman problem. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean yes this is true, but on the flipside I think a movie being received as 'fine' at best for most in a genre that's having a lot of trouble this year having its saturday underperform expectations is also probably a sign of WOM not being the best. We'll definitely get a clearer perspective next weekend but still.

• Like 1

This wasn't good. It was messy, sloppy, hacked to bits in post. There's about 5 action sequences in the first better than anything in this.

The CG in this had ant man 3 syndrome where it all just looked like messy sludge that blended together.

I don't know why but I got the feeling Momoa was drunk during filming this. His face was puffy and he was obnoxious. He wasn't aquaman in this, he was Momoa on a bender. Reminded me of Shazam 2 where the worst thing about the film is the lead.

A big character gets an offscreen death from some some seemingly big event happening that gets referenced by a single line and then its never followed up on again. Just vanishes from the film, likely cut out in post.

Mera is in scenes but has almost no dialogue very evident she was cut around in post.

The best parts of the films are Patrick Wilson who does his best with an awful script, and the cool 50s sci fi aesthetic.

The film it most reminded me of was JL2017. A film ripped apart and stitched back together.

4/10

• Like 5