MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

23 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Update: Tuesday is 84.08% of Pitch Perfect 3 adjusted, which went on to add $36,472,158 for the rest of its run. Applying the Tuesday/Tuesday ratio to the rest of its run would give Aquaman 2 a $118.18M final. 

Huh that's weird, I think I mean to say Wednesday instead of Tuesday

Anyways, the Thursday gross is 83.952% of Pitch Perfect 3 adjusted, which went on to add $34,208,343 for the rest of its run. Applying the same Thursday/Thursday ratio for the rest of its run would give Aquaman 2 a total of $118.13M. Furthermore, the Thursday gross is 30.635% of Aquaman 1, which went on to add $106,040,927 for the rest of its run. Applying the same Thursday/Thursday ratio would give Aquaman 2 a total of $121.90M. The midpoints point to a $120M (ish) domestic total so using a 36/64 split and then $60M from China would give it a $393.33M total, right above Black Adam which did not have China or the holidays to help

Let's be honest, loud and clear : Aquaman 2 is still a flop.

I loved it, but it'll still lose money. The only difference is that the movie is putting up a better fight than most of the previous cbm movies that really flopped badly. 

So, it's like getting shot 10 times instead of 30 times. This movie is like the fighter that everyone was expecting to lose in the first round, only to survive until round 10 and then lose. 

So yeah, the performance has been much better than expected and it might make twice the numbers The Marvels did. It's still a failure, but it's less damaging than others. WB isn't sad about it, the studio barely promoted it. Thanks to James Wan's action scenes and direction and Momoa's charismatic persona, this movie is finding some audiences.

I had a ton of fun with it. So, I'm glad it's performing better than expected. I watched it twice! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Huh that's weird, I think I mean to say Wednesday instead of Tuesday

Anyways, the Thursday gross is 83.952% of Pitch Perfect 3 adjusted, which went on to add $34,208,343 for the rest of its run. Applying the same Thursday/Thursday ratio for the rest of its run would give Aquaman 2 a total of $118.13M. Furthermore, the Thursday gross is 30.635% of Aquaman 1, which went on to add $106,040,927 for the rest of its run. Applying the same Thursday/Thursday ratio would give Aquaman 2 a total of $121.90M. The midpoints point to a $120M (ish) domestic total so using a 36/64 split and then $60M from China would give it a $393.33M total, right above Black Adam which did not have China or the holidays to help

If Black Adam had released it in China it would have cracked 500M WW. It seemed like the type of movie that in normal conditions would have done very well in China. 

Hell if it had released in December then easy 600+ WW. 

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

Did it get dumber and dumber as the movie progressed? Yep to the 10000000%. Was it an entertaining action blockbuster? Meh. I found myself rooting more and more for Ornn to assume the role of the King of Atlantis because AquaBro's douche schtick was very unfunny and getting on my nerves. There were some exhilarating action scenes at least and had some entertainment value. Certainly marginally better than the previous superhero movie. Can't believe people thought this would do better than Avatar at the boxoffice. 

My Score: Rental

My top 3 CBMs of 2010s are

1. The Dark Knight Returns Part II

2. The Dark Knight Returns Part I

3. Justice League vs Fatal Five.

For just theatrical releases I put Shazam 1 at 5.

Really stupid of WB to have put James Wan through the ringer lol. Even after fucking up his film and dumping it, it still managed to do much better than expected. He was pretty much the biggest filmmaker they had a close relationship with after Nolan. Now he's moved to Universal (just like Nolan).

• Like 4

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Really stupid of WB to have put James Wan through the ringer lol. Even after fucking up his film and dumping it, it still managed to do much better than expected. He was pretty much the biggest filmmaker they had a close relationship with after Nolan. Now he's moved to Universal (just like Nolan).

Villeneuve is better than Nolan ann Wan.

I don’t know if Wan should be credited for this “success” anymore than the fact that they picked an ideal release date. I imagine this would’ve done much worse if it came out over the Summer or even in November. 

Edited by WittyUsername

(⁠╯⁠°⁠□⁠°⁠)⁠╯⁠︵⁠ ⁠┻⁠━⁠┻

Opened here with 3.6 Filmarks, 3.5 映画.com, 4.0 MW, 3.9 Y!映画 — 15 pts (75.0%)

Barely above "Shazam 2" while below "The Flash"

The Flash - 4.0 Filmarks, 3.9 映画.com, 4.3 MW, 4.1 Y!映画 — 16.3 pts (81.5%)

Shazam 2 - 3.7 Filmarks, 3.5 映画.com, 3.9 MW, 3.7 Y!映画 — 14.8 pts (74.0%)

Blue Beetle - 3.7 Filmarks, 3.2 映画.com, 3.1 MW, 2.8 T!映画 — 12.8 pts (64.0%)

Blue Beetle was dropped to Streaming (instead of Theatrical Release)

• Like 1

This movie is not a "success". Although I'd argue Wan still has value as a director, boring tentpoles like this won't boost him. 

It technically outperformed this board's worst expectation but is NOT "high performing for a 2023 CBM" nor is it not going to lose money.

5 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

This movie is not a "success". Although I'd argue Wan still has value as a director, boring tentpoles like this won't boost him. 

It technically outperformed this board's worst expectation but is NOT "high performing for a 2023 CBM" nor is it not going to lose money.

It will lose money

9 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

It will lose money

Very true. It's just that some on here like to claim this movie somehow "overperformed" because it did better than Flash/Marvels (which were both the absolute worst a mainstream superhero film could do)

6 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Very true. It's just that some on here like to claim this movie somehow "overperformed" because it did better than Flash/Marvels (which were both the absolute worst a mainstream superhero film could do)

I mean, it’ll more than double The Marvels, so it’s not just “oh it did better” than that lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

So if it does not lose quite ad much as the low end expectations it is a sucess???

At times Fanboys are just plain stupid.

Fact is, they are in denial bout the collapse of the CBM genre.

As for Wan, I found him more interesting making modest budget horror movies then big budget blockbusters.

24 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I mean, it’ll more than double The Marvels, so it’s not just “oh it did better” than that lol

It willl still freaking lose money for the studio. That is not a sucess, and it is still a flop.

Edited by dudalb