MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

It willl still freaking lose money for the studio. That is not a sucess, and it is still a flop.

But who said it’s a huge success? I feel the people with the bomb allegations are way more pressed about it than anyone else at this point, everytime someone said it’s doing quite fine all this considered, someone will freak out and say it’s still losing money for the 100th time as if it’s a groundbreaking notice.

See how no one was saying anything here until the post saying once again that it’s not a success?

No one is saying it’s a hit anywhere, just that it isn’t a bomb anymore and it’s a over performance, which well it is.

Overperformances is always measured based on prior expectations, that was in the same range of Marvels and Flash, it passed them very easily by a good margin and it’s not a bomb anymore, this shouldn’t be worthy of discussions at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

But who said it’s a huge success? I feel the people with the bomb allegations are way more pressed about it than anyone else at this point, everytime someone said it’s doing quite fine all this considered, someone will freak out and say it’s still losing money for the 100th time as if it’s a groundbreaking notice.

See how no one was saying anything here until the post saying once again that it’s not a success?

No one is saying it’s a hit anywhere, just that it isn’t a bomb anymore and it’s a over performance, which well it is.

Overperformances is always measured based on prior expectations, that was in the same range of Marvels and Flash, it passed them very easily by a good margin and it’s not a bomb anymore, this shouldn’t be worthy of discussions at this point. 

Depends on your defintion of bomb, I guess. 

Is a bomb a movie that loses a lot of money, or any movie that loses money? Maybe a flop is a movie that loses money, but not enough to be a bomb. 

I think it’s weird to call it an overperformance simply because it didn’t do as poorly as other CBM, especially when it had things some of them didn’t have (holiday legs, low competition, cast promo, China) and everyone changing their tune when the trailer finally dropped. At the end of the day it’s the sequel to DC’s highest grossing movie ever and it’ll make about a third of what Aquaman did. It’s a poor way to end things.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Is a bomb a movie that loses a lot of money, or any movie that loses money? Maybe a flop is a movie that loses money, but not enough to be a bomb. 

I think that’s typically how people define it.

5 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I think it’s weird to call it an overperformance simply because it didn’t do as poorly as other CBM, especially when it had things some of them didn’t have (holiday legs, low competition, cast promo, China) and everyone changing their tune when the trailer finally dropped. At the end of the day it’s the sequel to DC’s highest grossing movie ever and it’ll make about a third of what Aquaman did. It’s a poor way to end things.

I repeat, you have a lot of denial about  CBM's movie having a major box office collpase around here.

5 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I think that’s typically how people define it.

problem is there is no dictionary definition.

Anyway, not good news for WB stockholders, and just more  proof that CBM

shave lost theri box office magic. We have had a lot of CBM flops/bombs this year, and very few sucesses. I don't see that chinging. The occasional SpideyNWH, Batman, and GOTG 3 will be hits,  but the days when any CBM was almost guaranteed a good gross at the boxc office are over.

Just now, Speedorito said:

Do you mean me specifically or this site? Cause I’m not in denial.

This site and other sites. A lot of the CBM fans just don't want to admit the genre has lost a lot of it;s appeal tor the GA.

38 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

With how absolutely rock bottom the predictions here were, it would’ve been very difficult for this movie to be seen as anything but an overperformer. Some people were apparently expecting this to struggle to beat The Marvels. 

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well, Christmas definitely helped A LOT. This is a $250M-$300M WW film if it releases in any other season. Cinemascore was a B so clearly it didn't have good WOM compared to Aquaman 1 which had an A-

Edited by TheFlatLannister

24 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Well, Christmas definitely helped A LOT. This is a $250M-$300M WW film if it releases in any other season. Cinemascore was a B so clearly it didn't have good WOM compared to Aquaman 1 which had an A-

Then it's time to put Beyond the Spider-Verse in December so we get $1B+ worldwide. 

And also while that is true, most people expected this to do Marvels/Flash numbers even with Christmas so it is still an overperformance

Also wouldn't $250-300M worldwide mean like $75-90M domestic with the current split? 

Edited by HummingLemon496

This movie's day 1 presales were "on par with Elemental/Blue Beetle", it got a 35% Rotten Tomatoes, B CinemaScore, no premier, so a lot of people (including me) expected this to be a Flash/Marvels level bomb so $425M+ worldwide is unironically a relative overperformance, kinda like Elemental and maybe GOTG 3.

Though I find this much impressive because those two needed great reception (A) to overperform. This movie managed to overperform despite really bad reception. 

Edited by HummingLemon496

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

That depends which expectations you're talking about here because for the longest time, from 2019 until right before The Flash imploded, no one was predicting Aquaman to flop as hard as it's doing right now. It's certainly not an overperformance when WB greenlit it.

2 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Then it's time to put Beyond the Spider-Verse in December so we get $1B+ worldwide. 

And also while that is true, most people expected this to do Marvels/Flash numbers even with Christmas so it is still an overperformance

Also wouldn't $250-300M worldwide mean like $75-90M domestic with the current split? 

Yeah, I would bet on BTSV making $1B with a Christmas spot. ATSV probably does well over $450M DOM in a December slot 

14 hours ago, dudalb said:

Yes, to me Aquaman is a flop. 

It’s definitely losing money, but likely not enough that can’t be compensated quite quickly with other revenues (PVOD etc). 

Bomb to me is when it’s flopping astronomically, like Flash.

I suppose most people follow this thinking, since most people on the forum agreed that it’s an overperformance: from expected bomb to just a normal flop now. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Not sure if i agreed tbh, unless it’s a WOM monster (which this certainly isn’t), Christmas season to me doesn’t change much the final numbers, just the trajectory of them.

This is having an average run for Christmas season, put it on Memorial Day and i bet it would do the same thing, just with way higher OW and then way worse legs. 

This is especially true OS, where this doesn’t have bad audience reception overall.

• Like 3

Aquaman 2 got a B cinemascore but I think in terms of how audience rating metrics reflect actual WoM, stuff like the Fast and Furious movies and Meg 2 are better comps than your typical superhero film.

Edited by lorddemaxus