MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

And honestly only WW84 gets a legit pandemic asterisk. It would've been a certified box office hit in normal times

If it was released in normal 2020, yes. If it was released in 2023, it would've been the 5th DCEU flop of the year.

4 minutes ago, Veclozy said:

If it was released in normal 2020, yes. If it was released in 2023, it would've been the 5th DCEU flop of the year.

Yes, 2020 was before the comic book collapse. Even Black Adam was before the comic book collapse which is why it made a (relatively) huge $393M.

Edited by HummingLemon496

19 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

3 years later and people are still using the same way to cope. It would have flopped whenever it released given its quality.

WW84? There was a lot of excitement for it, Wonder Woman was basically the crown jewel of the DCEU. I feel like it would have opened bigger than the first, then fell off hard due to reception, but not enough to be a bomb. It was still really big on streaming.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Mad Max007 said:

3 years later and people are still using the same way to cope. It would have flopped whenever it released given its quality.

It would have opened to ~120M Domestic (so floor is probably around 220-250 DOM) which actually makes it somewhat hard to flop even assuming same reception. Basically, it would have been Ant-Man 3 but domestic skewing.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

It would have opened to ~120M Domestic (so floor is probably around 220-250 DOM) which actually makes it somewhat hard to flop even assuming same reception. Basically, it would have been Ant-Man 3 but domestic skewing.

Honestly people would've liked it more in theaters. People are much harsher on movies at home. But we'll never actually know unfortunately.

• Like 1

If WW84 was released in theaters it would have an amazing opening weekend.  Bad word of mouth would come, but I think it would take a week or 2 for that to sink in with how much hype there was for it.  I was a Scout master then, and many high school aged boys were very excited for it.  I think it would have made more than 300M domestic partly as the bad is so ridiculous it would not actually hurt the box office much.  People would be going to see this crazy stuff or dismissing it as nonsense.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Wonder Woman 1984 would've been the second coming of Batman v Superman. It would've opened huge in a normal world thanks to the goodwill of the first movie, but then it'd drop so hard it'd make the aforementioned Zaddy piece look like The Greatest Showman.

WW1984 is far better than BvS.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

65 million first week domestic. Looks as though the "Holiday Legs" did not kick in.

I mean, they did though. You can't expect it to go much higher on the small opening it had. If it's gets to $120M like it's projected to, that will be well over 4.0x legs which is some of the best legs ever for a CBM sequel.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dallas said:

I mean, they did though. You can't expect it to go much higher on the small opening it had. If it's gets to $120M like it's projected to, that will be well over 4.0x legs which is some of the best legs ever for a CBM sequel.

Yes, but some people were acting like the Holiday Legs would somehow make the film a box office sucess.

Now breaking even is the best case scenario for the film a IMHO not that likely to happen.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Yes, but some people were acting like the Holiday Legs would somehow make the film a box office sucess.

Now breaking even is the best case scenario for the film a IMHO not that likely to happen.

I don't think anyone was arguing that holiday legs were going to somehow magically make this movie profit. Breaking even was always the ceiling. TBH I think this movie doing better than expected is what has people so optimistic. It will already surpass The Marvels this weekend and will soon overtake The Flash as the highest grossing 2023 DCEU flick. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dallas said:

I don't think anyone was arguing that holiday legs were going to somehow magically make this movie profit. Breaking even was always the ceiling. TBH I think this movie doing better than expected is what has people so optimistic. It will already surpass The Marvels this weekend and will soon overtake The Flash as the highest grossing 2023 DCEU flick. 

season 6 gullible pants GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

65 million first week domestic. Looks as though the "Holiday Legs" did not kick in.

Um that’s already a 2.35x multiplier from opening 3 day in the space of a week. Those are holiday legs. 

Unless you’d expect it to do that kind of multiplier in the summer? 

• Like 1