charlie Jatinder

Weekend Thread (3/1/2019 - 3/3/2019) - Weekend Estimates - Page 19.

5 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

This is a weird year at the box office 

It looks likely that Captain Marvel will become the biggest movie of the year after its opening weekend.

Trivia for y'all: what is the latest in a year a film has become the biggest after its OW? And what was that film?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ElsaRoc said:

It looks likely that Captain Marvel will become the biggest movie of the year after its opening weekend.

Trivia for y'all: what is the latest in a year a film has become the biggest after its OW? And what was that film?

Force Awakens?

Edited by Guancous

10 minutes ago, Guancous said:

Black Panther?

17 minutes ago, ElsaRoc said:

Was it Iron Man 3 the may 5 ? Nop Oz was at 228m

Passion of the Christ ?

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2004-02-29&track=passionofthechrist.htm

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Premium George said:

Force awakens had AoU and JW in it's year. So, no.  

BP became in feb. There mist be a summer release that did it.

BP was technically a couple of million behind Jumanji at the end of the 3-day. Did do it in the 4-day period, though.

This is a good question. I'm still going through the past few years and I'm not finding anything as late as March.

Just now, Barnack said:

Was it Iron Man 3 the may 5 ?

Oz the Great and Powerful wrecks that one.

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

BP was technically a couple of million behind Jumanji at the end of the 3-day. Did do it in the 4-day period, though.

This is a good question. I'm still going through the past few years and I'm not finding anything as late as March.

I thought Jumanji would be 2017 release.

16 minutes ago, ElsaRoc said:

Hmm. BP did it, but mid-Feb isn’t that late in the year. Beauty and the Beast was close, with 10M behind Logan. Hunger Games foiled by the Lorax, 25M margin.      

Aha, Alice and Wonderland got there with a March 5th opening, 20M above 2nd place at the time Shutter Island. That will be my guess, and if so CM will set the new record.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

Very neat trivia query, since it’s comparing different statistics to each other and caring about time of year and mid-run totals it’s a bit more complicated than just running through a single list on BOM.

3 minutes ago, Premium George said:

I thought Jumanji would be 2017 release.

I assumed we were including holdovers. That'd knock out Alice as well given that Avatar is a movie that existed and made some money.

Just now, Barnack said:

The fact mojo crash almost all the time everytime you ask it something remotely complicated make it challening.

If you change the dates in the URL it works okay, rather than using the date changer on the actual page which... does not work.

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I assumed we were including holdovers. That'd knock out Alice as well given that Avatar is a movie that existed and made some money.

I was grouping by year of release, but by calendar gross Alice certainly doesn’t work.     

Relevant difference for CM in theory, since HTTYD will be the 2019 leader but Aquaman the calendar gross leader with some 136M.

Edited by Thanos Legion

Just now, Premium George said:

Avengers missed lorax by just a million.

The Hunger Games was at 380m at that point, though.

Alice in Wonderland is one of the correct answers for films that did it later than February.

There is, however, one other film that I'm looking for.

• Like 2

Ice Age: The Meltdown with an incredibly late March 31st debut misses by only 5M thanks to Failure to Launch. Maybe the latest to get within single digits of #1, but clearly not what ElsaRoc is looking for.

• Like 1

I'm clearly not answering the right question anymore but from what I can see, the highest grossing film of the calendar year (i.e including holdovers from the prior year) has never come from a single opening weekend as late as March. Extremely niche record but hey.

This is assuming Captain Marvel passes Aquaman's current 2019 calendar gross (which is ~134m as of today) in it's opening weekend, which isn't necessarily guaranteed. Really puts into perspective how absolutely shite the box office has been for the last couple of months.

• Like 5

For  some extra carnage, there’s a very real chance that CM takes the #1 spot (non-calendar gross) off just its 2-day total. That’s got to blow the next latest out of the water if it happens.

Edit: Well, okay, BP did it. But that was on Feb 17, 48 days into the year, and this would be March 9, 68 into the year.  That’s a solid 40% farther in.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1