charlie Jatinder

Weekend Thread (3/1/2019 - 3/3/2019) - Weekend Estimates - Page 19.

1 hour ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Ok so i feel like a dummy, but what is Gone With The Wind? It is showing up in 3rd place on Thursday according to boxofficemojo. Seems like some random old movie i would see in high school.

Film adaptation of the book Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gone_with_the_Wind_(novel)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gone_with_the_Wind_(film)

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

1. You have Google

2. It's not your fault, but asking "what's Gone with the Wind" in a forum full of movie buffs and box office nerds is basically the equivalent of going into a rock and roll music forum and asking "who's this Elvis guy?" You're gonna get hit with a lot of confusion

or like going to an avid book reader's forum full of voracious readers and asking "what's Gone with the Wind"

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, a2k said:

or like going to an avid book reader's forum full of voracious readers and asking "what's Gone with the Wind"

To be fair at this point most people know it more from the movie then the book like Jaws

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Are we really reaching a point in history where certain people don't even know what Gone With the Wind is??

The Giant Bombcast this week had an email from someone who said their roommate walked in and saw him playing Tetris. He stopped and watched for a minute or two then asked him, "are you trying to match colors?"

🤣

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 2
  • Disbelief 2

3 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

The Giant Bombcast this week had an email from someone who said their roommate walked in and saw him playing Tetris. He stopped and watched for a minute or two then asked him, "are you trying to match colors?"

🤣

LOL! That's hilarious....but also sort of surreal. I feel like I'm transcending an age here.

3 hours ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

ah thank you for the answer. don't know why the others below are making snarky gifs and acting like it isn't impossible for some to not know every old classic movie that comes out.

Well it isn't exactly any movie, and especially not on the box office forum:

DOMESTIC GROSSES
Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation*

Note: This chart only shows the top 300 movies, regardless of sorting.

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Adjusted Gross Unadjusted Gross Year^
1 Gone with the Wind MGM $1,825,054,900 $199,268,428 1939^
2 Star Wars Fox $1,608,419,900 $460,998,007 1977^
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Ok so i feel like a dummy, but what is Gone With The Wind? It is showing up in 3rd place on Thursday according to boxofficemojo. Seems like some random old movie i would see in high school.

Image result for disapproving gif

4 hours ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

I don't blame you,

Simply put, GWTG is the Titanic of 1940s, these two films,, Titanic and Gone with the Wind are interchangeable term for all time epic.

Both feature some of the most iconic couple in the movie history.

I think HTTYD3 fell into the Planet of the Apes Reboot trap; from a marketing perspective the 2nd (Dawn) and 3rd film (War) had not key differences...

HTTYD3 markets a hidden world of dragons which seems like a rehash of the 2nd film... 

Third film of both series were really good but there was just no uniqueness about each of the 3rd film. For HTTYD3, there was really nothing at stake here compared to the 2nd one, and it felt (after watching it) much lighter and catered for kids than the 2nd entry.

It can't be surprising that Dragon 3 was frontloaded when it is a second sequel and is likely playing to an older crowd than usual for an animated film (given that the original came out almost a decade ago). Even last weekend's multiplier was on the low side for this kind of movie.

Edited by filmlover

7 hours ago, John Marston said:

That would be an absolute horrendous drop for Dragon 3 especially since this isn’t summer and business should be focused on the weekends. That drop shows Bad Wom. Which is confusing 

It has an overwhelming positive word of mouth and an A cinema score

Even with all that, it's not appealing to certain people, 6-8% of the audience who went to see it opening weekend were African American, That's not good at all & it's a shame because it's a damn good movie, maybe we don't deserve good movies

What a big drop means? all the people who are already fans of the franchise went to see it last week, some will return this week but it's not attracting other people's interest ....

So disappointing, Del Toro has a deal with DreamWorks and i was hoping they would assign him to develop a new HTTYD in a different era because the world of HTTYD is already there and there could be other characters in other parts of the world but .... :sadno:

Friday Estimates

1. Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral: $9.1mn
  2. How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World: $6.3mn
  3. Alita: Battle Angel: $1.7mn
  4. Greta: $1.6mn
  5. Isn't it Romantic: $1.3mn
  6. LEGO 2: $1.25mn
  7. Green Book: $1.2mn
  8. FWMF: $1.15mn
  9. WMW: $0.8mn
  10. HDD2U: $0.7mn

A Star is Born: $0.5mn