DeeCee

***SPOILERS***Captain Marvel Spoiler Thread | ***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***

1 minute ago, SirPetras said:

What exactaly are the plot holes people are talking about? Don't think I've caught anything particularly important

I wouldn't call it a plot hole, but I found really weird how aliens that could clearly travel across the entire galaxy in hours would need and/or desire some FTL tech. 

I assumed it would be even faster than the one they got, but still... 

10 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I thought they were fine. I felt like they peaked in the first act.

Welp, in SH movies if the action/fight scenes go downhill from act one to act two to act three, the disappointment will be magnified due to recency affect. The climatic fights in space and earth are literally anticlimactic. Blasting all the way through is the poorest action scenes you can have and it happens in this movie.

Just now, SofNascimento said:

I wouldn't call it a plot hole, but I found really weird how aliens that could clearly travel across the entire galaxy in hours would need and/or desire some FTL tech. 

If you could get to let's say England in 10 hours and there was tech that could get you there in 2 minutes, wouldn't that be valuable for war? Also the Skrulls needed to get far enough away from the Kree so that they could stop being hunted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, justvision said:

Welp, in SH movies if the action/fight scenes go downhill from act one to act two to act three, the disappointment will be magnified due to recency affect. The climatic fights in space and earth are literally anticlimactic. Blasting all the way through is the poorest action scenes you can have and it happens in this movie.

I thought they were alright for what they were. The one thing with Captain Marvel is it definitely felt like a 'Part One' to me of a bigger saga they have planned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

If you could get to let's say England in 10 hours and there was tech that could get you there in 2 minutes, wouldn't that be valuable for war? Also the Skrulls needed to get far enough away from the Kree so that they could stop being hunted.

It would, but I probably would call it, say, faster than sound travel. 

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

You're getting this upset over a character's name come on man. If there's other 'plot holes' actually say them.

I'm expressing disappointment that the film did not justify it's namesake.

Here are some of my other issues, which I stated earlier:

"I have a lot of issues with this film the more I think about it, a lot of things that don't make sense but just happened. This particular issue is emblematic of this film's flaws. What was the point of Ronan? He's dead by the time Carol's in Endgame, is a CM2 going to be pre-Guardians? Why did Starforce just idly stand by and watch as Carol became all powerful at the end? What enabled her to overpower Annette Bening's giant green laser arm hologram thingy? Why did the other pilot's daughter, listed on IMDB as an 11 year old character, know about the entire life story of Carol, who disappeared when the girl would have been 5 years old? How did Carol learn Agent Fury's name and rank instantly, given he never mentioned either of those (I thought that was going to lead into the subplot about her memories, nope)? Did we really need a shoehorned Avengers Initiative tie-in? Too many things in this film happen for the sake of happening, and the MCU tie-ins are very unnatural."

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

There's a reason the Avengers Initiative exists. Fury assembled them exactly so that he didn't need to count on Carol who obviously takes a bit to arrive and is obviously busy. He only called on her at the end of IW because the Avengers had obviously failed.

Didn’t she say emergencies only? Loki’s invasion sure as hell seemed like one, she should’ve been there and she would’ve arrived before the battle of NYC. Seems like they’re just keeping her to be the ultimate hero(ine) and in doing so makes all the previous developed characters that we grew to love useless and weak.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SofNascimento said:

I'll just say I agree with @Mulder reasoning then

• Like 2

It would, but I probably would call it, say, faster than sound travel. 

Except light is faster then sound. They probably didn't have FTL tech just tech fast enough to get them to planets close to Hala in a matter of hours ((Keep in mind it took them almost an entire day to get to Earth from where Carol was kidnapped))

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I'm expressing disappointment that the film did not justify it's namesake.

Here are some of my other issues, which I stated earlier:

"I have a lot of issues with this film the more I think about it, a lot of things that don't make sense but just happened. This particular issue is emblematic of this film's flaws. What was the point of Ronan? He's dead by the time Carol's in Endgame, is a CM2 going to be pre-Guardians? Why did Starforce just idly stand by and watch as Carol became all powerful at the end? What enabled her to overpower Annette Bening's giant green laser arm hologram thingy? Why did the other pilot's daughter, listed on IMDB as an 11 year old character, know about the entire life story of Carol, who disappeared when the girl would have been 5 years old? How did Carol learn Agent Fury's name and rank instantly, given he never mentioned either of those (I thought that was going to lead into the subplot about her memories, nope)? Did we really need a shoehorned Avengers Initiative tie-in? Too many things in this film happen for the sake of happening, and the MCU tie-ins are very unnatural."

1. Ronan's obviously being set up for CM2. He's a big Kree character in the comics as well, it wouldn't make sense for him to sit this out, also to explain who Carol was fighting for the 20+ years since this film.

2. By the time she had overcome the Supreme Intelligence, she was pretty much too strong to be stopped by whatever weapons they had

3. Her own personal strength...it's a pretty common thing. She mentally overcame the Supreme Intelligence ((Which wasn't even the actual full Supreme Intelligence on Hala, just a sliver of it))

4. Carol was obviously very close to her and her mom and told her about her pictures, not to mention her own mom filling her in.

5. From his badge he showed her as identification.

6. To show what inspired it in the first place, we never found out before why Fury felt the need to form it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Didn’t she say emergencies only? Loki’s invasion sure as hell seemed like one, she should’ve been there and she would’ve arrived before the battle of NYC. Seems like they’re just keeping her to be the ultimate hero(ine) and in doing so makes all the previous developed characters that we grew to love useless and weak.

I don't agree with that. Characters missing from action is something inherent to the superhero genre. It's like asking why Wonder Woman wasn't in Metropolis during Man of Steel. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Loki's invasion didn't become an emergency until the final act of the Avengers, keep in mind how long it obviously took for her to show up after Infinity War, by that time Loki would've succeeded and Nick was busy and also had faith in the Avengers. How does it make the other heroes look weak?

• Like 1

Just now, Mulder said:

Except light is faster then sound. They probably didn't have FTL tech just tech fast enough to get them to planets close to Hala in a matter of hours ((Keep in mind it took them almost an entire day to get to Earth from where Carol was kidnapped))

They definitely had FTL tech. 

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

is the false heroine that Krees tried to model her after. The false Mar-vell. It's a classic fairtyale dynamic the Maiden and the Mother. Heroine has to defeat the Mother so that she wouldn't become like her. It's very simple and it's all in the movie.

ahm, one little detail is not matching: the intelligence / Krees are not the ones that create the 'connection' as her old mentor, that is her brain. I think its possible the Krees do not even know, it doesn't sound like she ever described the contact during her 'stay'. She tells about it in the 'phone-call' to him, I do not think out of the reaction,... he knew that beforehand

Edited by terrestrial

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

ahm, one little detail is not matching: the intelligence / Krees are not the ones that create the 'connection' as her old mentor, that is her brain. I think its possible the Krees do not even know, it doesn't sound like she ever described the contact during her 'stay'. She tells about it in the 'phone-call' to him, I do not think out of the reaction,... he knew that beforehand

well even better. whatever her brain created is exactly the emotionless war mongering person they trained her to be. so she stands up to that future self so to speak. 

Just now, Mulder said:

Maybe something close to it, but not exactly FTL. That's why Mar-Vell's invention was such a big deal.

FTL in sci-fi in any mode of travel that allows you to travel, well, faster than light. All the alien ships in the film could do that. I mean, if we assume they didn't, then they travelled 24 hours in sub-light speed. Which would put you barely out of the solar system. 

As I mentioned, it's not exactly a flaw, but it's a very weird way to word things, particulary if you're familiar with the concept. I dare say I'm not the first nor will be the last to bring this up, but when we think about the GA I wonder how many would know what FTL stands for or, more importanly, would care for waht I'm talking here. Just go with it. 

FTL in sci-fi in any mode of travel that allows you to travel, well, faster than light. All the alien ships in the film could do that. I mean, if we assume they didn't, then they travelled 24 hours in sub-light speed. Which would put you barely out of the solar system. 

As I mentioned, it's not exactly a flaw, but it's a very weird way to word things, particulary if you're familiar with the concept. I dare say I'm not the first nor will be the last to bring this up, but when we think about the GA I wonder how many would know what FTL stands for or, more importanly, would care for waht I'm talking here. Just go with it. 

It's Sci-Fi tech it's not realistic as it is. Whatever the Kree have is not Faster Then Light.