DeeCee

***SPOILERS***Captain Marvel Spoiler Thread | ***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***

I'm pretty sure she is never actually referred to as Captain Marvel or called Captain Marvel in the film.

The Kree call her Vers because because they only found part of her dogtag.  The "Carol Dan...." part stayed on Earth and the "...VERS" part went with her to Hala.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

'm pretty sure she is never actually referred to as Captain Marvel or called Captain Marvel in the film

She wasn't - that was what I explicit paid attention too

What is one reason why I think she has not reached her full potential yet.

Edited by terrestrial

5 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I'm pretty sure she is never actually referred to as Captain Marvel or called Captain Marvel in the film.

The Kree call her Vers because because they only found part of her dogtag.  The "Carol Dan...." part stayed on Earth and the "...VERS" part went with her to Hala.  

It goes beyond no one calling her Captain Marvel. I'm fine with that, I don't need it to be that explicit. But there is 0% of an explanation as to why this film is called Captain Marvel.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

It goes beyond no one calling her Captain Marvel. I'm fine with that, I don't need it to be that explicit. But there is 0% of an explanation as to why this film is called Captain Marvel.

now I understand you - I think. I find it funny.

Mar-Vell caused the marvel of Major Captain 'Avenger' Danvers Marvel

Edited by terrestrial

15 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

You know that Wonder Woman is always just called “Diana” during that movie, right?

• Like 2

I liked this a lot, solid 8.5/10 imo. I do have to wonder how much non-comic fans will enjoy it though because it's very comic book-y and a lot of the twists are based on having an idea of Carol's origins.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:40 PM, Gamora said:

Oh my god Carol's on earth with them all! I nearly screamed lol. Waiting for the end credits but omg she was there I wasn't sure if they'd show her there and they did. 😃

And everyone clapped at the end so I guess they liked it haha. We don't exactly clap here for movies so...

Not to be cynical but did anybody really think Captain Marvel would not be in "Endgame"?

I was expecting the post credits scene to show her in space receiving Fury's message so was pleasantly surprised when BEARDED Cap showed up.

He did have a beard right, did I imagine that?

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 3

Just now, dudalb said:

Not to be cynical but did anybody really think Captain Marvel would not be in "Endgame"?

For my comment I was happily surprised they actually showed us her being right there with the team and not just like, seeing her flying towards earth or something that didn't involve direct interaction.

• Like 1

I agree with the assessment of it being mid-tier MCU. Nowhere near as good as the really strong ones (IM, GotG) but much better than the weak ones (Hulk, IM2, Thor: DW). Very comparable to the CA:FA, Spider-Man tier.

We can quibble on where exactly the quality lines should be drawn, but I’d be surprised if the consensus puts it anywhere else.

2 minutes ago, SofNascimento said:

What you guys thought of the action scenes? I didn't care for any single one and I'm afraid I'm being too cynic and demanding. 

My problem also. It's not that I didn't care for them, it's that when I was starting to get excited, they were done.

40 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Mar-Vell caused the marvel of Captain 'Avenger' Danvers Marvel

Now you're just making connections that aren't there. Yes, they established there is a character called Mar-Vell. Yes, Fury joked at the end how 'Marvel' sounds better.

At no point did anyone in the film connect the word "Marvel" with the character of Carol Danvers. At no point did she decide to take up Fury''s bastardization of her mentor's name as a moniker. At no point did the film attempt to explain it's namesake. That bothers me.

I have a lot of issues with this film the more I think about it, a lot of things that don't make sense but just happened. This particular issue is emblematic of this film's flaws. What was the point of Ronan? He's dead by the time Carol's in Endgame, is a CM2 going to be pre-Guardians? Why did Starforce just idly stand by and watch as Carol became all powerful at the end? What enabled her to overpower Annette Bening's giant green laser arm hologram thingy? Why did the other pilot's daughter, listed on IMDB as an 11 year old character, know about the entire life story of Carol, who disappeared when the girl would have been 5 years old? How did Carol learn Agent Fury's name and rank instantly, given he never mentioned either of those (I thought that was going to lead into the subplot about her memories, nope)? Did we really need a shoehorned Avengers Initiative tie-in? Too many things in this film happen for the sake of happening, and the MCU tie-ins are very unnatural.

I know I'm nitpicking, but I wouldn't have to if the film had better pacing, unique action, cinematography, or better use of film tropes. I also felt like (outside the Avengers films) this was the most sequel-baity MCU film, with Jude Law's final interactions with Danvers spelling out for the audience what CM2's general premise would be. There's just more to nitpick about this film than I would have liked, I'm not explicitly looking for flaws.

The performances all around were good-to-great, and the electronic music was interesting at times. The brass heavy portions not so much. But the pacing was awful. Film started fast, settles down on Earth, and then grinds to a halt the same way AoU did on the farm, and it felt similar to Ant-Man/Wasp's "Laurence Fishburn explains everything" scene in the middle. Pacing never recovered, because at that point the film had already extinguished the stakes. At this point it was just blowing up pointless space ships, and avoiding a true resolution with Jude Law.

I saw in the credits this film had five writers. It absolutely feels that way.

EDIT: To provide context, I still think this is better than about half a dozen other Marvel films (at least). It's by no means awful. Just disappointing in it's lack of cohesion.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SirPetras said:

My problem also. It's not that I didn't care for them, it's that when I was starting to get excited, they were done.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I began to get excited in any moment in the film (except the credit scenes), but the final battle, that is, the moment from the missiles are launched until when the ships flee, I felt that there was something there. It wasn't the scene that I was seeing, but maybe something cool could have happened. 

22 minutes ago, Wrath said:

You know that Wonder Woman is always just called “Diana” during that movie, right?

And I have no issue with that. WW was a better film than CM. A character name like that, very self explanatory. She's a woman. She accomplishes wondrous feats. 

Maybe Captain Marvel (the character) is supposed to marvel at things? As in respond with amazement and wonder? Because she didn't do that...

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 3