DeeCee

***SPOILERS***Captain Marvel Spoiler Thread | ***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

A film with a whole lot of flaws due to it being an incomplete product. That film also doesn’t vibe with the “part 1” concept and tropes the other poster was suggesting.

Being an adaptation of another medium isn’t a “get out of jail free” card when it comes to standing on its own. Adaptations live and die on their own merits. I don’t care if this was an adaptation or not. I’m looking at this as it’s own entity, and in that regard it fails to explain its title. Very simple.

A movie doesn't have to complete itself to be good. You're also obsessing way too much over a title that's taken from the comic book.

2 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

This was not a good movie and just had too much pandering, cheap laughs, omg nostalgia, and dumb you have to ignore.  I know it is stupid nitpicky but if the green goblins are made from elements, not on the periodic table humans could not damage them at least that easily without nukes.  They would at their height weigh at least 5,000 pounds.   The entire cat thing came across as internet loves cats lets have them and speaking of the internet only thing missing was an AOL disk because dial up is just so funny on its face.   Honestly, it is probably just me because my theater was eating this up.  They also loved the look Blockbuster and look Radio Shack they are funny because they went out of business and were 90s stores.   Outside of a few of the site

setting.

I also don't get the flashing back to her childhood as they basically did nothing with it.  Even the get up when you are knocked down montage did not really work as the clips had no real context.  I know we are told that she did not get along with her parents but they don't show it really except for like 8 seconds.   Someone also mentioned the little girl being hey mom go to space in a jerryrigged spaceship and probably never come home again or your a bad role model.     

The cat was from the comics, the use of 90s stuff was because it was set in the 90s. The use of her childhood was to show that as a person, Carol wouldn't just give up you don't need to know the context of the events, just what it says about her a person.

• Like 3

Just now, Mulder said:

A movie doesn't have to complete itself to be good. You're also obsessing way too much over a title that's taken from the comic book.

Forgive me, I didn’t realize my standards we’re too high for expecting a complete three act structure with rising stakes, developer character arcs, and closure to the story. Along with an explanation of the title of the film I just watched.

Thanks for pointing out how I’m expecting too much from my cinema experience.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, OncomingStorm93 said:

Forgive me, I didn’t realize my standards we’re too high for expecting a complete three act structure with rising stakes, developer character arcs, and closure to the story. Along with an explanation of the title of the film I just watched.

That's a way too constrictive view on film as a medium. Broaden your film watching maybe watch some foreign stuff. Japan in particular does not follow what you describe here.

• Like 1

I think one of the movie's biggest success is managing to flawlessly insert itself into the continuity of the MCU and not contradict anything that was there.

Even if you dislike how Nick Fury didn't call Carol in Avengers 1, it still doesn't contradict the continuity since, well... Nick Fury didn't need to call her, the Avengers did fine without her. That is, until Infinity War which is why he called her -- they lost! And now they need help.

The rest is 100% on point too and fully respects the continuity set so far.

Impressive. Mighty impressive.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Steve Rogers is Captain America in Captain America: The First Avenger

You missed the whole point.

You seem to be rather very heated about her not once getting named as the title is.

Captain America never gets called nor is he an Avenger during the movie him even describing as such

Either all or nothing, no picking 😉

And yes, there are part 1 stories, no matter if see Harry potter, LotR, ... where people go to come back, or not, as someone else.

Btw, you asked, I tried to give you a possibility. me personally? I do not care for now, probably never. I am aware about the story isn't finished, I'll do my final judgement after her last appearance.

Hint. At the end of CA 1 I know a lot of ppl who thought him bland, 2 dimensional,... didn't like him. Now he is one of their favourites, for some even The Favourite.

The MCU seems to play by some other rules than the usual movies, and I like that 😉

I feel that it gets taken too much apart in the sense of who looks too closely on a few pieces of a mosaic might miss the whole picture's impact others might get.

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

That's a way too constrictive view on film as a medium. Broaden your film watching maybe watch some foreign stuff. Japan in particular does not follow what you describe here.

I love experimental, art house, and foreign cinema.

CM is none of those, nore was it trying to be. I’m saying that it failed at what it was trying to be (in some, not all aspects, but very important ones).

• Thanks 1

Just now, OncomingStorm93 said:

I love experimental, art house, and foreign cinema.

CM is none of those, nore was it trying to be. I’m saying that it failed at what it was trying to be (in some, not all aspects, but very important ones).

I don't really see how not explaining a title is a failure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I feel that it gets taken too much apart in the sense of who looks too closely on a few pieces of a mosaic might miss the whole picture's impact others might get.

9 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Hah, that was part of what I meant with see above.

I feel too many ppl go to 'scientific' at the experience of a film and chop it up in a way to a degree they see not a movie any-more.

Edited by terrestrial

2 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

If ya’ll are fine with the title of a movie not making even 1% sense within the context of the film, fine. I’m happy for you.

I expect more. And with that I’m going to bed.

I'm honestly confused as hell why this even matters so much to you.

• Like 3

It doesn't hold as well on rewatch. I thought it was an 8 and now kind of just under a 7.

I do see now how exposition heavy and some pacing issues. Also is it me or does editing feels a bit off? Like they were trying to insert as many charismatic shots as possible? I don't wanna say reactionary because I might be looking too much into it. 

The cast and VFX are still great and the fights are still underwhelming. I'd say JLaw looks more like a secondary villain and not a main one (similar to Baron Mordo in DS).

I thought this was a very solid (if not spectacular) film. To me, it almost literally feels like a film they made during Phase 1 that they just didn't release until now (in that it's kind of clunky, but has a lot of heart, and even has the Tesseract as the MacGuffin).

I really did love the story and the way it was constructed (though I thought it could have been executed maybe a tad better). The Skrulls not being the villains was I thought kind of brilliant, and makes the inevitable story they're setting up where they *will* be the antagonists mean they're going to have a lot more depth than just conquering bad guys.

I didn't watch the trailers, so I had no idea that the Nick Fury who was in this film was going to be so... *adorable*. Like, it's Nick without any angst, and Samuel L. Jackson is just having so much fun.

Brie Larson was good, IMO, but the nature of the story means she's not really playing a whole person until the very end. That moment where she does take hold of her own power was pretty awesome. Really curious to see how the Russo brothers and especially the scriptwriters handle her in Endgame (since they've proven very adept at elevating characters once they get ahold of them -- Black Widow, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, etc.).

Boy, we've had a big run of films really preaching against toxic masculinity, haven't we? I mean, Jude Law is pretty much the embodiment of it, constantly telling Carol she's too emotional (even though she's actually very calm and measured most of the time) and essentially screaming "Debate meeee!" at her in their final confrontation.

I really want to see how my two teenage nieces react to it.

• Like 2

There is no faster-than-light speed in the real sense. Even the least adherance of "sci-fi" fantasies movies try to avoid this trope nowsaday. But it does not mean an object can not get to a place thousands or millions of lightyears away earlier than what the light will take. Essentially you use "shortcuts", so that the distanced travel is less than say, thousands of km.

In many movies (MCU included) this shortcuts is called "jump points". And the laymen term in popular science is "wormhole".

A wormhole is a theoretical passage through space-time that could create shortcuts for long journeys across the universe. Wormholes are predicted by the theory of general relativity. But be wary: wormholes bring with them the dangers of sudden collapse, high radiation and dangerous contact with exotic matter. (From space.com)

And the scientific term is Einstein-Rosen Bridge, mentioned by Jane Foster the astrophysicist in the movie Thor, when Thor told her about Bifrost.

My understanding is that Bifrost is not a wormhole per se. It is a device to gain entrance to multiple wormholes that lead to Nine Realms. The secret pathways that Loki knew of to connect Asgard to outside worlds were wormholes.

The jump points in GotG and CM are wormholes. A wormhole may only let you jump from one location to another location a few dozens/thousands lightyears away. Thus to travel intragalatically or even intergalactically involving millions of lightyears, you need dozens and hundreds of "jump points" (wormholes).

Enter the device that Mar-Vell made from Tesseract, which contains Space Stone. Space Stone is like Bifrost x 1000000000000. So even if the device only capture 0.01% Space Stone capabililty, it will enable travel through thousands and thousands of wormholes combined in a split second, without being exposed to "the dangers of sudden collapse, high radiation and dangerous contact with exotic matter" (see the quote above).

That is why this "Light Speed Device" is so valuable to the Kree.

Edited by justvision
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

It doesn't hold as well on rewatch. I thought it was an 8 and now kind of just under a 7.

I do see now how exposition heavy and some pacing issues. Also is it me or does editing feels a bit off? Like they were trying to insert as many charismatic shots as possible? I don't wanna say reactionary because I might be looking too much into it. 

The cast and VFX are still great and the fights are still underwhelming. I'd say JLaw looks more like a secondary villain and not a main one (similar to Baron Mordo in DS).

Yeah, the more I think of it the more I lower my rating. I have another ticket to watch it on coming Sunday...

In my earlier post I called Yon-Rogg "lieutenant type of villains". Basically he just followed and carried out orders. He is not involving in decision making, planning and strategy. He does not demonstrate a mind of his own. And I was invested in him as a major character, and I had hoped till near the end that the twist was he being in the same "rebel" group as Mar-Vell or a sympathizer to help Carol. But omg he is so lame.

No, he is not similar to Baron Mordo. Mordo has a mind of his own. As a lieutenant type of villian RonYogg is similar to Rumlow (Crossbones), but Crossbones is much more badass than him. Damn!

Edited by justvision

36 minutes ago, justvision said:

He does not demonstrate a mind of his own

That's not correct in my POV.

He decides supportive and against the others of the team to let CM do her thing in a way early on, including to suggest her in the eyes of the team too early for the 'test', decides pro her vs team during their extraction preparation...

He cuts the team mate whilst conferring with Ronan and even lies to Ronan.

Within the limits of his harsh culture he tries it for seemingly longer than usual to let her do her thing beside cutting her down a lot too.

Only as the situation gets outside of the limits of his culture in a big way he gives up in a way and calls Ronan.

The details of the assignment he seems to control whom to place where and so on.

I see him as kind of a team leader, a Sargent, a Lieutenant. You'll get your order, you do it as it happens, but a order is usually predefining details too.

The main 'villainy' about him is not in the actions during the assignment, its the 6years of holding her down.

That is something she  has to deal with in a big way, only bcs she now remembers are the 6 years of a complete other way of thinking and living not away.

The movie has some details that have in my POV nothing to do with the usual kind of evil, not all is about a certain action, not the one single crime, this and that bad action

The last 'fight' I think was his last try not to loose, I think he knew he had no chance and tried it with a ~ duel version that would give some chances

forgot: he knows the consequences he will suffer in Hela, she seems not.

There is still potential for him getting in some nasty situations, or having to proof himself or,...

Edited by terrestrial

1 hour ago, justvision said:

There is no faster-than-light speed in the real sense. Even the least adherance of "sci-fi" fantasies movies try to avoid this trope nowsaday. But it does not mean an object can not get to a place thousands or millions of lightyears away earlier than what the light will take. Essentially you use "shortcuts", so that the distanced travel is less than say, thousands of km.

In many movies (MCU included) this shortcuts is called "jump points". And the laymen term in popular science is "wormhole".

And the scientific term is Einstein-Rosen Bridge, mentioned by Jane Foster the astrophysicist in the movie Thor, when Thor told her about Bifrost.

My understanding is that Bifrost is not a wormhole per se. It is a device to gain entrance to multiple wormholes that lead to Nine Realms. The secret pathways that Loki knew of to connect Asgard to outside worlds were wormholes.

The jump points in GotG and CM are wormholes. A wormhole may only let you jump from one location to another location a few dozens/thousands lightyears away. Thus to travel intragalatically or even intergalactically involving millions of lightyears, you need dozens and hundreds of "jump points" (wormholes).

Enter the device that Mar-Vell made from Tesseract, which contains Space Stone. Space Stone is like Bifrost x 1000000000000. So even if the device only capture 0.01% Space Stone capabililty, it will enable travel through thousands and thousands of wormholes combined in a split second, without being exposed to "the dangers of sudden collapse, high radiation and dangerous contact with exotic matter" (see the quote above).

That is why this "Light Speed Device" is so valuable to the Kree.

There is no such thing as faster than light because the light exists everywhere along its path at the same time.

Travelling at the speed of light means you can travel anywhere in the universe instantly, of course, relativity causes everything not travelling at your speed to age, that's just time dilation.

A rocket accelerating at 1G (9.8m/s) can cross our galaxy in 12 years and give the same gravity to the occupants as standing on the ground on Earth. Its all possible, it just needs an infinite power source for the rocket.

/science

2 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

"Wonder Woman" was never referenced in her movie.