Eric Lasagna

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

9 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Is it necessary/important that it does finish above WW domestic? It has already passed it  worldwide. Why does it matter if it doesn't do the same here?

It doesn’t really “matter,” but this is a haven for box office nerdery. When the second female led superhero movie of the modern SH era looks on track to finish pretty close to the first, naturally under/over will become one of the narratives that people are tracking.

Edited by Thanos Legion

5 minutes ago, VENOM said:

They cut that line out from the trailer?

tenor.gif

I don't think the trailers did the film justice. I went in with fairly low expectations because I didn't like the trailers but was pleasantly surprised.

• Thanks 1

Shazam is pretty freaking great, definitely my #2 of the year behind Dragon. Audience ate it up too, lots of cheering, laughs, gasps etc. Great movie to see with a crowd, I was more than pleased. 

Also definitely think it's going to beat tracking. Theatre was PACKED tonight, there's definitely interest. I can see this opening near Us numbers

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Shazam is pretty freaking great, definitely my #2 of the year behind Dragon. Audience ate it up too, lots of cheering, laughs, gasps etc. Great movie to see with a crowd, I was more than pleased. 

Also definitely think it's going to beat tracking. Theatre was PACKED tonight, there's definitely interest. I can see this opening near Us numbers

I wonder how much these advanced screenings will eat into Shazam's OW box office. Aquaman earned $2.9m, and also had 1200 theaters, but only had a single showing versus three for Shazam. 

1 minute ago, Djsoke said:

I don't think the trailers did the film justice. I went in with fairly low expectations because I didn't like the trailers but was pleasantly surprised.

What surprised you? The deleted scenes or something else?

Just now, VENOM said:

What surprised you? The deleted scenes or something else?

Just the atmosphere of the movie. It was a lot more fun than I expected from the trailers. Brie Larson actually had some charisma and personality that was not conveyed at all through the trailers. I had worried going into it was going to be lifeless or even hard to watch. And while there were definitely some script moments that had me going:wintf: It ended up being enjoyable for me.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Djsoke said:

I wonder how much these advanced screenings will eat into Shazam's OW box office. Aquaman earned $2.9m, and also had 1200 theaters, but only had a single showing versus three for Shazam. 

Either way, what ever it takes from OW is going to be added to overall box office anyway so I don't think it's really that big of a deal. 

5 hours ago, IceFire9yt said:

35-36 is a decent number for CM.  GOTG2's 2nd weekend drop was 46.7% against weaker competition, so this would be as good or a hair worse.

2nd weekend vs 3rd weekend are not equal comparisons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Of course it's going to beat tracking of 50 million just like US beat tracking of 40 million. Tracking for both have been so bad.

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Really? All the theaters I checked in L.A. were 3/4 full at most, which is way down on AQUAMAN or HTTYD3. My Arclight showing wasn’t even have full.

4 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It's okay. I didn't like it much either and I certainly didn't love Us. But, more than happy to see the box office blowing up.

Nothing they can't fix in Endgame and the sequel for Cap Marv. Ton riding on it. Played it pretty safe. 

That's fair. They did play it safe. However what I find interesting is the people who didn't like it often somehow liked infinitely worse comic book films. I like almost all of them, love basically none of them.

10 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

They were referring to the 3rd weekday, just a typo.

Ah that makes more sense. Individual weekends aside, it will be way ahead of GOTG 2 after it's 3rd weekend and honestly I expect decent drops for weekends 4 through 8.