baumer

US Spoiler Thread (SPOILERS ARE ALLOWED)

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

The hand crossing doesn’t really mean anything, it’s just their plan because it’s the only thing the Tethered really came into contact with from the outside world.  I feel like it’s meant to be deliberately goofy, I doubt he was trying to get you to derive any significant meaning from it

I disagree, I feel like there's meaning to it. Protest comes up a lot in regards to the Tethered and in some way I feel like they're almost meant to symbolize minorities of all types.

The movie was like Lupita Nyongo was tethered to Lena Headey in The Broken while Winston Duke was tethered to a lame Key & Peele skit parodying slasher tropes from a suburban black family POV. ("Rule number 3: White neighbors die first!" *giggles*).

Edited by dashrendar44

From what I gathered by googling Hands Across America, that was an event meant to raise awareness about poverty and raise money for charity. since that was the shirt that Addy had on her and heard about the event on TV, she organized her own HAA to raise awareness of the existence of the Tethered. of course she spiced it up by having the Tethered kill as many humans as possible but still the point is that the Tethered were forgotten and people didn't know about her, and now she made sure they know. It's really no more than that. 

You could argue that Addy probably had Stockholm syndrome since she didn't want to leave on her own but led all tethered out. so she sympathized with them after so many years spent with them.

Re: Tethered Gabe aka Abraham. Ahem, he was played for laughs just like Tethered Josh. Not all of them were meant to be scary.

Edited by Valonqar

Also Us does have at least one theme by Jordan Peele's admission which is we are our own worst enemy...it's just a theme that imo isn't the most present in the movie honestly? I wish the movie focused more on that concept personally.

• Like 2

So i understand that the scissors were there because of the ‘rock,papier,scissors’ game that duo played on the fair before young adelaide was switchen , but How did the tethered Get all those scissors and suits?

btw i expect So Many people wearing this costume for Halloween

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Also Us does have at least one theme by Jordan Peele's admission which is we are our own worst enemy...it's just a theme that imo isn't the most present in the movie honestly? I wish the movie focused more on that concept personally.

Same.

Spoiler

Unless it was intended to be we knock ourselves out and drag ourselves down

Also, what was the significance, if any, of the doppelganger's names?  Besides Pluto (smallest, acts like a dog).

I really enjoyed this movie, and I think Lupita deserves on Oscar for this performance. The only thing which slightly disappointed me was the ending/twist. I had the twist figured out from essentially the opening scene, and then they hinted it so much throughout the film, that I felt like I was being reminded of it, so it completely lost the impact at the reveal. I thought the ending was slightly messy, but the whole film was just so engrossing. I don't think I'll ever forget Lupita's performance. 

Lupita gave an award worthy performance in Us that will probably be ignored come awards season, just like how Toni Collette (Hereditary) was snubbed last year. Same for Emily Blunt in AQP but at least she got a SAG :ph34r:

in any case Horror movies continue to bring out the best acting from people every year :bravo:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lupita deserves to win. 

The movie does try many things and some don't quite work (is it God's will or human science make up your mind, Jordan!) but it's never not entertaining and it has characters that you genuinely root for and want to be OK. 

I think that Real Red is a proof that a tethered can be un-tethered with care and attention. Adelaide's family consulted the therapist who suggested that they try to get their "daughter" to express herself through art and ballet clearly helped her become a normal human. Real Addy only brought the Tethered out but didn't really un-tether them as they remained feral. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

The movie was like Lupita Nyongo was tethered to Lena Headey in The Broken while Winston Duke was tethered to a lame Key & Peele skit parodying slasher tropes from a suburban black family POV. ("Rule number 3: White neighbors die first!" *giggles*).

this might be true. i like Duke and he's very charismatic here, but at no point did it feel like his character was actually scared to me. i wouldn't have hated it if he died the movie could've used an extra death from the goodies beyond their douchey friends and he wasn't adding much in the back half.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Lupita gave an award worthy performance in Us that will probably be ignored come awards season, just like how Toni Collette (Hereditary) was snubbed last year. Same for Emily Blunt in AQP but at least she got a SAG :ph34r:

in any case Horror movies continue to bring out the best acting from people every year :bravo:

I think that these performances had other obstacles that Lupita won't have:

Colette movie wasn't big enough. Lupita's movie is blowing up

Blunt's movie was big enough but she was campaigning for MPR and AQP so possible vote splitting. Lupita doesn't have another contender performance to split her votes.

Baring some super strong competition in Actress from the same studio, Lupita should be Universal's priority in that category. 

• Like 2

I was genuinely surprised by how funny the movie was. Even the scariest moments have just the right amount of comedy that makes it humorous but not light-hearted or distracting from the fear. Winston Duke needs to be in more comedies

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I was genuinely surprised by how funny the movie was. Even the scariest moments have just the right amount of comedy that makes it humorous but not light-hearted or distracting from the fear. Winston Duke needs to be in more comedies

"What are they doing?"

"I don't know, but that requires incredible coordination."

Anyone a fan of the body count argument? Love that scene so funny. And speaking of it's a tie:

Gabe killed "himself" and Tethered Josh

Real Red killed "herself"and Tethered Twin

Zora killed "herself" and the other Tethered Twin

Jason killed "himself" and Kitty

Also, Josh and Kitty right before the house massacre were amazing and their house was a mini MVP for playing Fuck the Police when Josh gave order to call the fuckin police

:bravo:

"dad, nobody wants your boat" :worthy: Zora. 

Edited by Valonqar