baumer

US Spoiler Thread (SPOILERS ARE ALLOWED)

You know the drill by now!  This is the discussion thread.  If you don't want to be spoiled, don't come in here.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED....SPOILERS ARE FAIR GAME!

THANK YOU!

Ok, so lets talk about the main twist of the movie - Jason. he is a doppleganger like his mother. I see 2 theories floating. One that he was swapped (which doesn't make sense) and other that he is born like that cause he's a mix between 2 words. That makes sense to me. Sister is like dad, and brother is like mom hence mom's crazy love for him. So here are my evidence that Jason is like Redelaide (aka fake Adelaide/Real Red):

he can control the other boy. Adelaide told Redelaide that dopplegangers were created so that real people could be controlled like puppets. We see Jason so that to the other boy, first when he learned that the boy would repeat his actions and then when he led him into fire. His father and sister were not able to do that to their dopplegangers. Conclusion: Jason is doppleganger like Redelaide, while Adelaide's son is real like her. 

Jason is noticeably off (so is Redelaide but less noticeable which is why Lupita's performance is sensational). One twin comments that he is weird. We were told that he was traumatized by his grandmother's death. Remember who else was "traumatized" into weirdness? Redeliade when she rejoined Adelaide's parents. IMO, he wasn't traumatized, he's just a little off because he's like his mom.

Jason doesn't talk about traumatic stuff but expresses them through paintings. remember that the therapist told Adelaide's parents that they should try to make their daughter open up through dancing, PAINTING, etc. Redelaide learned to dance and that apparently helped her learn to speak and be like humans. So it seems that painting does the trick for Jason.

when Adelaide tells the story about 2 girls, she points put the cause an effect aka how dopplegangers influence real people: when happy girl gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, unhappy one gave birth to a monster. when happy girl gave birth to a son, so did unhappy girl and the son loved fire. Notice that she does not say her son is a monster but guess whose son wears a monster mask? Redelaide's. Jason has his monster mask with him at all times, whether on top of his head or on his face cause he is a "monster". also, implies that Jason's fire tricks resulted in Adelaide's son burn scars that most likely impede his speech. they are cleverly on his face around his mouth aren't they?

Redalaide LOVES Jason. she cares for all her family but she is crazy about Jason. that hints at some kind of kinship that goes beyond just mother and son.

Jason knows what he and his mom are at the end of the movie and accepts it (hence monster mask on). remember that he's heard Adelaide's monologue cause he was hiding in the locker? also, since he seems to be a genius it should be easy for him to figure it out, which he already started when he saw his mom go feral on that remaining twin. 

I'm sure there's more. 

@TMP down the rabbit hole I guess. Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (mirrors). 

Edited by Valonqar
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

so can we agree that this movie is an allegory to Trump's America/MAGA.  the red clothing representing the MAGA hat, the hand crossing at the end>> The Wall and pretty sure one of the characters said they should escape to Mexico :ph34r:

I don’t agree with that at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

so can we agree that this movie is an allegory to Trump's America/MAGA.  the red clothing representing the MAGA hat, the hand crossing at the end>> The Wall and pretty sure one of the characters said they should escape to Mexico :ph34r:

Us isn't about Trump at all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I'm not remembering the hand crossing.

When Red is dropping that exposition leading into the "twist" I was thinking: "He's doing it! He's going there! THE SPIRIT OF NIGHT LIVES!"

That said, I enjoyed it on a goofy surface level. Realized early on I needed to just sit back and relax. I'm listening to the Filmspotting review and they're talking about an indictment of American capitalism and consumerism.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

Every moment with Tim Heidecker was glorious because he's a treasure. Wanted more of he and Moss bickering.

i couldn't take the clone version of him seriously. i couldn't tell if he was overdoing it or if it was just because it's tim heidecker. Moss crushed it though. so creepy.

• Like 2

Just now, RealLyre said:

yeah it was more of a joke cus the first two similarities are a stretch but what does the hand crossing at the end supposed to mean?

The hand crossing doesn’t really mean anything, it’s just their plan because it’s the only thing the Tethered really came into contact with from the outside world.  I feel like it’s meant to be deliberately goofy, I doubt he was trying to get you to derive any significant meaning from it

• Sad 1