Ms Lady Hawk

Monday numbers - Us 6M

42 minutes ago, Emerald kikyou said:

Yet Wonder Woman’s audience skewed more female than male while CM skewed more male than female.I have personally seen as much females not liking or feeling meh about CM as males. Also I have seen males say they really enjoyed and liked CM  just like I’ve seen women say that. 

I think I noted in the CM OW thread that the percentage difference may have come down to how many men saw CM. WW had a bigger skew, but when you account for the OW difference, the number of women is probably about the same. 

And to contrast with what many others are saying, I have many women friends who enjoyed it greatly. It's well beyond meh. 

(and the Emerald City Comic Con crowd would support that women are very invested in it.) 

Personally I still like WW more, but CM is a top 5 MCU film for me. 

• Like 3

So many people saw this thing that you’ll obviously have many, many, women who didn’t like it, and many, many men who absolutely loved it. But the data is quite clear that there is a gap in average reception.

• Like 2

Yep one can't hide from the numbers. It's easy for me to say that because I have little to no bias when it comes to DC vs Marvel. I could care less who makes if it's good. Loved WW, really liked Aquaman and liked CM.

CM as a non-sequel is gonna have "just" a 2.64x+ multi (405+ dom) so obviously one can question the reception. SMH did 2.85x+, BP did 3.5x+, WONDR did 4x.

AIW did 2.63x despite being a tri-quel and beating TFA's ow. GOTG2 did 2.66x after a similar ow to CM.

After the massive ow stage was still set for CM to target 2.75x if not SMH's 2.85x. 2.65x is underhwhelming but numbers both dom and especially os are superb irrespective of legs.

40 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

No question in my mind that Wonder Woman was better than Captain Marvel. CM is easier to watch, not near as slow but not as emotional for me. 

WW was a true 4 Quadrant movie, people were taking their grandparents to see it. But it's OS performance was stunted by it being overly feminine and more character driven for sure.

• Disbelief 1

Thing is CM is a good movie that had an amazing opening so meh legs makes sense. Wonder woman was a great movie that had a good opening so great legs makes sense. Regardless, internationally there is more interest in CM than there was in Worder Woman.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyK said:

WW was a true 4 Quadrant movie, people were taking their grandparents to see it. But it's OS performance was stunted by it being overly feminine and more character driven for sure.

I think it's OS gross was more stunted by being relatively early in the franchise so there's a lack of familiarity. Early MCU films also had pretty low OS grosses. See if the sequel also has a relatively low OS gross. I kinda doubt it will. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ElsaRoc said:

I think it's OS gross was more stunted by being relatively early in the franchise so there's a lack of familiarity. Early MCU films also had pretty low OS grosses. See if the sequel also has a relatively low OS gross. I kinda doubt it will. 

Agreed. I think WW 1984 will do 600+ OS at least maybe like 700.

3 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

You mean the second, right?

- snip -

Me woman... no. I like WW, but big no.

I see nothing in that character I'd feel represented by, no struggle for acceptance, no upbringing in a male-focused world,... and some other major reasons.

40 minutes ago, Emerald kikyou said:

Yet Wonder Woman’s audience skewed more female than male while CM skewed more male than female.I have personally seen as much females not liking or feeling meh about CM as males. Also I have seen males say they really enjoyed and liked CM  just like I’ve seen women say that. 

I agree to the reactions. There is a part of the female audience that seems to see it in a complete other way than reading here might let some to belief.

6 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

I have not heard a single woman personally say anything about CM mirroring their lives or being an awesome moviegoing experience. IN fact, I have heard many a lady call it "ok" or "meh. It was alright," while I heard nothing but raves for WW from my female acquaintances, friends, and associates (also some of them actually cried in the theater while watching the film. Those media reports about lots of femalse crying during screenings of Wonder Woman was no joke. WW was a pop culture moment and an important cinematic event (sociologically speaking); it makes sense that it became that.

CM, on the other hand,  is just a competently made box office hit from the MCU machine (and there's nothing wrong with that).

I am one of the women you did not encounter in RL it seems. I think you might have missed some posts I did here already. I am sure I've read some other women here too, and as you write there too, I am a bit surprised about your first sentence.

I had goose-bumps for certain scenes, ... A lot of finally! moments. In CM, but not one in WW (I did enjoy that one too, but for entirely other reasons).

I am aware also women didn't click. For certain details in both films. I think that is based on different reasons:

expectations, experiences, cultural background, personal experiences vs majority experiences, personal preferences about what/how we live as a woman (like: how to approach oneself to feel 'full woman') and some more

feminism... vs equality.

What is even 'feminism' for which age and with which kind of background.

Not all women want to be hand-crafts in a male mostly field. Those who don't wont have the same experiences than women who actually want to work in such a profession for whatever reason.

And even in which profession the situation can be different in a big way. There are some with more acceptance than others. Some that are famous for ~ narrow minded males (see Silicon Valley stories)

Not all understand it as ~ fight for equality in all details, I've heard / read... women using the term also like being / presenting themselves in an explicit - in their POV - female way.

Some think its about the 'female' touch, up to do not want to show any behaviour, that can be misunderstood as male too.

Some are simply too young to have experienced the many many many frustrating moments that will add up.

A lot are so used to the reality in their live, they do not even see the difference or react a bit uncomfortable to it. Some are afraid to anger / loose / their partners, if showing opposition to certain themes, even if in other themes they do feel comfortable to show opposition.

Some dream about the White Knight, some do not want to wait for a White Knight, want to do themselves.

Some are so used about 'princesses' they click faster to a princess than to someone, who under no circumstances wants to be one.

Comfort... some women react even aggressive, as if they 'should' do something in another way, and feel like it somehow, but do not want to change it out of do not want to leave their ~ comfortable live / mindset. Some do feel like they have to account for it if their vary openly from what their partner, family... thinks and do not like that.

And then there are some, who have learned not to tell what they think to a male at all.

= all that is not meant especially about Captain Marvel, that's out of observations and tons of discussions (one on one always other answers as when others, especially males, are also around), after having worked in voluntary support (in addition to my paid profession) since school time up to today.

But all that plays into expectations, what plays into what someone wants to see to get addressed in a 'feminist' supporting movie.

After having to fight for literally decades to:

even get allowed into a technical school in the '70 beside to have the legal right at that time already, to not get my dream professional training at the end of the '70, bcs a heavyweight paper pusher said I wouldn't be able to lift the heavy materials (his weight was at least 4 times as much I could then lift him too, I could lift more than the most of the male applicants...), than having worked as the sole woman on building constructing sites, in workshops for custom made professionals' equipment (all for sound/light connecting and steerage equipment like in a TV-station sound studio, on the road equipment of bands, stadiums, ...) or one of the few.

After and during having build my own house, incl having companies refusing to take a order to work at the house for certain areas for me as a woman being there working too (if a women let company would refuse to do so it would probably end in the news)

Working now at a school, where parents still try to hold back the girls to a way too high % from male professions and hobbies. Where still the girls are usually the ones who have to look after their younger siblings, help at home, while the boys can play sport....

And I am working at a 'more modern' school than usual.

= I get 'finally' moments in CM.

To give you an impression, where I might full-fill some clichés and where not:

No one who knows me would call me a 'man-woman', means I like to cook, gardening,... too, but also to do (as an ex-metal worker) work with wood... straight mother,... yadda yadda, but like no make-up... nothing artificial for myself (no problem at all with ppl of all genders that do like e.g. that). Long hairs, wearing some jewellery,... but prefer clothes with which I can climb a tree over 'female' looking clothes. Practical is king.

To be clear, this is no critic at women who have another POV as I, as they had other experiences, goals, dreams,... cultural surrounding than myself. I think no one should judge ppl who had a different upbringing.... have other dreams, as no one having not lived through certain times / situations can really understand.

Oh, and not all women like to go to the cinemas alone, I know at least 2 who didn't watch CM yet, as their partner didn't want to watch it for 'reasons' (see anti- this and that or 'heard' things). Sadly they live not near to each other or to me, or they/we could go together. 

= I think that is only a small % out of the potential female audience.

One said she will buy the disc, one is not sure where to hide the disc.

Yeah, we all are old, we still buy discs.

As men differ the same broad spectrum, see e.g. what is 'male', what makes them .... differs strongly too I did expect to learn about pro and contra reactions beforehand too, so no surprise about that by me.

My pupils, former pupils, son,... they all liked the movie.

I hear them talking also when they are not aware (school has at some areas a ~ funny acoustic). What sometimes can be rather interesting. And sometimes ... awkward.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well said. I never felt Wonder Woman was overly feminine at all. I love Chris Pine, he was awesome in it but the love story and the fact that he saved so many with his sacrifice didn't scream feminism to me.

Of course there was a lot of female empowerment in the film, it's almost impossible to not include it for a film about female Amazon warriors with a female goddess as the heroine and a male God as the villian.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

Thing is CM is a good movie that had an amazing opening so meh legs makes sense. Wonder woman was a great movie that had a good opening so great legs makes sense. Regardless, internationally there is more interest in CM than there was in Worder Woman.

the legs are fine stop this thing not every movie need to have 2.7-2.8 multi 

1 hour ago, a2k said:

CM as a non-sequel is gonna have "just" a 2.64x+ multi (405+ dom) so obviously one can question the reception. SMH did 2.85x+, BP did 3.5x+, WONDR did 4x.

AIW did 2.63x despite being a tri-quel and beating TFA's ow. GOTG2 did 2.66x after a similar ow to CM.

After the massive ow stage was still set for CM to target 2.75x if not SMH's 2.85x. 2.65x is underhwhelming but numbers both dom and especially os are superb irrespective of legs.

i dont thinks its underwhelming t all most mcu movies have this kind of legs and cour comparison with the other 3 movies that you listed its not right and was rare to have this kind of lgs tell me how many movie have black panther ow wonder woman legs FEW so according to that evey superhero movie that dont have as good legs as those too that means that the response was  mixed ? hell no

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

the legs are fine stop this thing not every movie need to have 2.7-2.8 multi 

That's fine the distinction between meh and fine is almost non-existent to me. Average or decent works as well.

Good to great movies that have weak or average OW have good legs. Shocking....

Edited by cdsacken

6 minutes ago, john2000 said:

i dont thinks its underwhelming t all most mcu movies have this kind of legs and cour comparison with the other 3 movies that you listed its not right and was rare to have this kind of lgs tell me how many movie have black panther ow wonder woman legs FEW so according to that evey superhero movie that dont have as good legs as those too that means that the response was  mixed ? hell no

how about smh's 2.86x?

6 minutes ago, a2k said:

how about smh's 2.86x?

was summer and again not many superhero movie have 2.8 multi and you also  forget that like ww it was released in summer that helped its legs and its opening was way smaller than captain marvel and it didnt have competition then as war for the planet of the apes underperformed there you go and 2.8 multi its not the bar of success and not a fair comparion is it possible for big openeers to have very good legs legs ? yes it is ,is it common ? no and again 2.6-2.7 its a great multi it is ,people need to understand that every movie is its own thing and that most of the times the release of one movie is different than the other under different ow ,periods,competition etc there is no need for comparison i can tell you 10+ mcu movie that had this kind of legs like captain marvel so this must mean that the reception wast good ? no

Edited by john2000

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Well said. I never felt Wonder Woman was overly feminine at all. I love Chris Pine, he was awesome in it but the love story and the fact that he saved so many with his sacrifice didn't scream feminism to me.

Of course there was a lot of female empowerment in the film, it's almost impossible to not include it for a film about female Amazon warriors with a female goddess as the heroine and a male God as the villian.

Agree to the first part.

I can imagine the 2nd part (female empowerment).

But it does not count for me.

Too princess, too 'destined' (I am soooo sick of those kind of stories), too less based solely on normal circumstances  struggle till reaching a goal, that is actually possible to reach for someone

= gods, aliens, destined... not what an average person is.

Powers inherited or destined to get, the woman not a woman but either a very young woman/teen, or a virgin or....... too cliché. Too special for reasons not based on her own accomplishments.

I click with CM for where she comes from up to the moment she gets the powers.

All her reactions are based on those experiences, goals, dreams in addition to her experiences / knowledge out of her Kree training.

She is and acts like I can imagine what/how an over average driven stand-up grown up human woman or man actually can reach and might react, if a change like that would be possible/happen.

After the change no one questions her for being female, only for being a human, that I like a lot too.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, john2000 said:

was summer and again not many superhero movie have 2.8 multi and you also  forget that like ww it was released in summer that helped its legs and its opening was way smaller than captain marvel and it didnt have competition then as war for the planet of the apes underperformed there you go

if summer by default gives good legs why did war of apes underperform? why didn't it overperform like smh if you are attributing smh's legs to that same summer period 1 week apart?

Edited by a2k

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

if summer by default gives good legs why did war of apes underperform?

really now ? so that cant happen eh ? if a movie is going to underperform it will no matter the release date stop spinning this and then why most superhero movie has 2.6-2.7 mutli eh ? bc captain marvel legs wont meet your expectations 2.8+ that doesnt mean that its not doing well  and also you sping my words i said that summer HELPED spiderman homecoming legs not that it had bad legs in the first place you really spin everything dont you

Edited by john2000