Ms Lady Hawk

Monday numbers - Us 6M

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

really now ? so that cant happen eh ? if a movie is going to underperform it will no matter the release date stop spinning this and then why most superhero movie has 2.6-2.7 mutli eh ? bc captain marvel legs wont meet your expectations 2.8+ that doesnt mean that its not doing well 

you are claiming that cm would have done better in summer with full confidence. i am trying to figure out why

• Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, a2k said:

you are claiming that cm would have done better in summer with full confidence. i am trying to figure out why

bc i believe that in summer you have kids out of school etc more time for people to watch your movie and that will help your movies legs if of course the movie is good if not well you know ,and in spiderman homecoming case and of course some times that can happen in summer you are the only big blockbuster like the first guardians etc no i am not saying that if you release in summer that automatically help your movie no,your movie must be good must have a good release and people like it and want to come back and again good release not like far from home 2 weeks before lion king and i saID THAT it would helped the legs i dont believe for one sec that it would have 3 legs more like 2.8+  and again not every  release date affect your movie in the same way for example had endgame relesead in february i think at least that this would have its legs as oppose to now that it must compete with dp etc

Edited by john2000

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I thought it was pretty non-controversial that summer helped legs, just like Christmas? I think @MagnarTheGreat has a great little chart of legs by month that bears this out.

question shouldnt they announce the os numbers for monday too ? or we are at the point which this happen on thursday when they will give the weekdays numbers together ?

5 minutes ago, john2000 said:

question shouldnt they announce the os numbers for monday too ? or we are at the point which this happen on thursday when they will give the weekdays numbers together ?

They usually do this only if the big numbers roll in, for newer releases.

Later for bigger ones or if something is unusual or... if it reaches milestones,... beside that only weekly and weekend results, if its a long time since release, those numbers get updated as time is there, means sometimes it needs 'ages' later in the run.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, john2000 said:

We’re late enough in the Os run that I don’t expect to get official updates except on Thursday, and Sundays for the most part.

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

We’re late enough in the Os run that I don’t expect to get official updates except on Thursday, and Sundays for the most part.

yeah i understood that hope it doest well this week i personally predict around 640-650 by the end of this sunday fingers crossed hope dumbo dont hurt it that much

Edited by john2000

Out of all the merchandise for CM I like the design (T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, hoodies) the best, that says:

My Superpower is being Me

As I understand it like:

my inner strength, reactions, ... is based (solely) on myself, I (re-)act ~ true to myself.

Why they do not make zips sweatshirts without a hoodie anymore? Falling asleep with a hoodie or driving a car, sitting on a chair with a high back,...makes my neck cramp up, headaches will follow

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

Well said. I never felt Wonder Woman was overly feminine at all. I love Chris Pine, he was awesome in it but the love story and the fact that he saved so many with his sacrifice didn't scream feminism to me.

Of course there was a lot of female empowerment in the film, it's almost impossible to not include it for a film about female Amazon warriors with a female goddess as the heroine and a male God as the villian.

I don't mean the movie was overly feminist, I Wonder Woman herself.

I believe that for every (OS) woman that went to see WW because of female empowerment reasons, two went to see Aquaman because of a buff Jason Momoa.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, AndyK said:

I believe that for every (OS) woman that went to see WW because of female empowerment reasons, two went to see Aquaman because of a buff Jason Momoa.

Out of my POV 😉

(a little over the top)

Edited by terrestrial

2 hours ago, a2k said:

Lower opening and same total. Better multiplier same end value. Hence why legs don't matter much at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

I don't mean the movie was overly feminist, I Wonder Woman herself.

Hmm.....this may be accurate. My wife basically drooled over that. Can't say I blame her.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Lower opening and same total. Better multiplier same end value. Hence why legs don't matter much at all.

100% agree

I think we will see in the future more and more front-loaded OWs for however established/can't wait to see movies / movie series

Legs are in my POV also carried by repeat watchers, as in a lot.

But see e.g. Civil War, there are stories not inviting as much audience into a repeat watch as others, some will not full-fill certain pre-release expectations story-wise, some might get average WoM for a franchise not used to that, some will only get certain parts of the audience to re-watch for varying reasons

Also for a situation like the MCU: e.g. to avoid spoilers a rush into OW by parts of the audience who usually prefer to go after the big rush.

In a decade or so we might have Chinese typical viewing habits/patterns.

I think also the amount of movies to be released (way more than in the past) pushes movies faster out of the smaller rooms in cinemas... Also nowadays more possibilities early on for more audience to even find a cinema nearby than then.

If I compare e.g. Titanic's run, how long it needed to reach certain heights beside being a loooong time in the top 10.... How much the viewing patterns already have changed I guess some here wont be aware, as they might not have followed BO then already too.

es, adjusted it would be far more, but its clearly to see what a big difference it is on the pattern.

Today digital / HV release is, depending on distributor, usually after 2 - 3 month.

After 2 months Titanic had ~ $378m, after 3 months ~ $480m.

It made roughly additional 75% of what it got after 2 months.

Not a pattern we will see with a high earner anytime soon I guess

uilder.

Titanic Avengers:
Infinity
War
Domestic Title Titanic in
3D

Domestic Release Date Dec 19, 1997 Apr 27, 2018
Production Budget $200,000,000 $300,000,000
Opening Weekend Theaters 2,674 4,474
Maximum Theaters 3,265 4,474
Theatrical Engagements 87,364 34,406
Domestic Opening Weekend $28,638,131 $257,698,183
Domestic Box Office $659,363,944 $678,815,482
Inflation Adjusted
Domestic Box Office
$1,221,536,331 $678,815,482
International Box Office $1,548,844,451 $1,369,982,200
Worldwide Box Office $2,208,208,395 $2,048,797,682
  Remove Remove

Note: A theatrical engagement is defined as the movie playing in a single theater for one week. So, for example, a film that plays in 3,000 theaters in its first week and 2,000 theaters in its second week will have had 5,000 theatrical engagement.

4 hours ago, a2k said:

Are you flipping kidding me with this nonsense?? Of course it would’ve done better in summer. That’s not even up for debate.

• Disbelief 2

There’s no evidence that CM would have done better in the summer. The movie isn’t even finished its run and some of you are making excuses. Excuses aren’t needed, as the movie did just fine. While it is true that summer blockbusters often benefit due to legs, there are plenty of blockbusters that have benefited outside of summer. An argument could be made that CM wouldn’t have held up as well against summer competition and thus not opened as big and possibly not grossing as much as it will gross with its actual release date. There are pros and cons in each direction. BP Is the highest grossing SH film of all time and when was it released? Yeah, February. So no excuses. Let’s see how it goes. 

• Like 6

Why would Captain Marvel do better in the summer when this summer is literally jam packed with movies almost every weekend? Captain Marvel has had the luxury of not facing any real competition until it’s third weekend and even some could argue that Us and CM have two different audiences so Captain Marvel won’t actually face any competition until its 4th weekend. Which weekend of the summer would provide Captain Marvel 3-4 weeks of no competition after it being released? :thinking: 

• Like 3

Why are we arguing that CM "could" have done better with a different release date? Even ignoring the fact that it had to come out before April because of Endgame, there is no logical way to determine whether or not films do better or worse if they had a different release date. Its a nonsensical debate.

Also, CM still has a chance at 400M DOM. Personally, i find it hard to believe that this number should be considered any less than amazing for such an unknown character and (ALERT! SUBJECTIVE OPINION!) fairly mediocre film.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

Why would Captain Marvel do better in the summer when this summer is literally jam packed with movies almost every weekend? Captain Marvel has had the luxury of not facing any real competition until it’s third weekend and even some could argue that Us and CM have two different audiences so Captain Marvel won’t actually face any competition until its 4th weekend. Which weekend of the summer would provide Captain Marvel 3-4 weeks of no competition after it being released? :thinking: 

This, too. Us and Dumbo arent hard-hitting competition and Shazam will be the first film in the same genre, coming out on CM's 5th weekend. Thats the advantage of an early March release: If youre a big blockbuster, you have a good chance of beeing the only big blockbuster in town for some time. In the summer, ofc, its a completely different game.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

This, too. Us and Dumbo arent hard-hitting competition and Shazam will be the first film in the same genre, coming out on CM's 5th weekend. Thats the advantage of an early March release: If youre a big blockbuster, you have a good chance of beeing the only big blockbuster in town for some time. In the summer, ofc, its a completely different game.

There are pros and cons to getting a summer vs non summer release. I feel like for your traditional film having a summer release could be an advantage but imo the last several years have shown us that you can release a film almost anytime during the calendar year and it’s gonna do well if people are interested in it. 

But when it comes to CBM, I don’t think it matters anymore as we’ve seen CBM do gangbusters regardless of their release date. 

• Like 3