sfran43

Weekend Thread: weekend #s (Actuals) Dumbo $45.99M, Us $33.23M, CM $20.66M

10 minutes ago, Alli said:

Everything after Interstallar flopped. And it's not like the movies were high rated by critics. He flopped at the BO and critically. The guy ritchie movie is bound to flop too. He needs a new agent. 

Oscar curse activated! 

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Tbh if audiences didn't come out to see The Beach Bum it's their problem not McConaughey's

There were about ten people at my show and only two of us audibly enjoyed it. Favorite was the older couple up front were clearly "WTF is this?"

I'm actually impressed The Beach Bum did as well (even though it still fared quite poorly) as it did honestly. Although it probably isn't crossing $4M total. It'll become a cult favorite someday I guess.

Gloria Bell deserves to be doing better.

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

There were about ten people at my show and only two of us audibly enjoyed it. Favorite was the older couple up front were clearly "WTF is this?"

WTF did they think it would be when they saw the title and bought tickets?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

over 60% PTA drop. man i like A24 but they still don't really know how to properly expand their movies. 

Yeah, it's an issue. Shame cause I thought it was great. Turturro is up there with McCarthy as Lee Israel in recent performances where I FELT THAT SHIT.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm actually impressed The Beach Bum did as well (even though it still fared quite poorly) as it did honestly. Although it probably isn't crossing $4M total. It'll become a cult favorite someday I guess.

Gloria Bell deserves to be doing better.

the way these cycles work nowadays it'll probably be a cult favorite before the end of the year.

Matthew McCaughey did wonders for the Lincoln Car brand with those commercials though.

Likely are some of the most well known car commericals done lately.

Just him saying random stuff and looking high lol 

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

over 60% PTA drop. man i like A24 but they still don't really know how to properly expand their movies. 

I'm sure I'll be proven wrong, but I think A24 has done relatively fine with some of their movies. Obviously this panned out badly, and I feel Eighth Grade shoulda done better, but I can't think of any other times A24 screwed the pooch in their expansion plans.

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

WTF did they think it would be when they saw the title and bought tickets?

Never underestimate old people showing up to the movies looking for something, anything to see without doing their research (and probably thought it was worth their while just because of McConaughey and the other notable actors in it on the poster). I heard a group of old people yesterday in the lobby before seeing Dumbo coming out of Us saying "oh my god why did we see this trash?"

Edited by filmlover

Just now, filmlover said:

Never underestimate old people showing up to the movies looking for something, anything to see without doing their research (and probably thought it was worth their while just because of McConaughey and the other notable actors in it on the poster). I heard a group of old people yesterday in the lobby while seeing Dumbo coming out of Us saying "oh my god why did we see this trash?"

I saw The Favourite at the local arthouse, and it was clear the majority of the old people there did not expect the movie they watched lol

• Haha 1

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

I saw The Favourite at the local arthouse, and it was clear the majority of the old people there did not expect the movie they watched lol

Yeah I watched that movie and I was expecting a well made peroid piece and got some boring ass film. lol 

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 2
  • Knock It Off 9

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Matthew McCaughey did wonders for the Lincoln Car brand with those commercials though.

Likely are some of the most well known car commericals done lately.

Just him saying random stuff and looking high lol 

I didn't know he is doing car commercials in the US. I thought all the big actors go OS to make some extra money with commercials.