sfran43

Weekend Thread: weekend #s (Actuals) Dumbo $45.99M, Us $33.23M, CM $20.66M

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I'm sure I'll be proven wrong, but I think A24 has done relatively fine with some of their movies. Obviously this panned out badly, and I feel Eighth Grade shoulda done better, but I can't think of any other times A24 screwed the pooch in their expansion plans.

The Spectacular Now, A Most Violent Year, 20th Century Women, Green Room, End of the Tour, Good Time, Locke, Lean on Pete all could have stood to make more I think. They have this thing where they'll rapidly expand a movie from under 100 theaters to over 600 and the PTA predictably collapses and there's no time for awareness to appear (beyond movie buffs) or WOM to catch on and two weeks later the movie's gone. Searchlight, Miramax/TWC, Focus in their prime all seemed like they really cared about maximizing their limited releases' potential, all these new hip distributors often give the sense that they put a movie in semi-wide release and sorta just assume people will show up based on... internet critical hype? I dunno. Looking at the list of their releases Lady Bird, Hereditary, The Witch, The Lobster, maybe Ex Machina and Spring Breakers are the only times I was genuinely impressed with how an A24 movie performed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Anyways, I think what McConaughey is experiencing here is also a bout of bad luck. On the surface, these choices make sense to me.

Sea of Trees - Movie from Gus Van Sant who's had a lot of critical success, ends up being a total dud

Free State of Jones - Gary Ross has had a steady career, probably didn't seem like much of a huge risk

Gold - Stephen Gaghan previously directed Syriana which got Clooney an Oscar

White Boy Rick - Yann Demange is an up and comer who had directed 71, which was highly acclaimed

Serenity - Steven Knight has his hands in a lot of things these days, but his previous directed film in Locke was a critical hit

Beach Bum - OK, McConaughey knew what he was getting into here. But he got to smoke weed with Snoop Dogg.

Only The Bech Bum makes sense. lol

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

I was just rummaging through McConaughey's filmography, and I just noticed White Boy Rick. I completely forgot that movie existed until just now. And I paid money in theaters to see it!

He was the best thing about it at least. Movie should've been told from his perspective and not the piece of cardboard that played the title character.

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

I was just rummaging through McConaughey's filmography, and I just noticed White Boy Rick. I completely forgot that movie existed until just now. And I paid money in theaters to see it!

To be fair I don't think many people even knew that movie existed let alone are able to forget that it existed so at least you've got a one up on most folks. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I think my entire audience for the Favourite stayed seated for the credits expecting a MCU post credits scene because they were clearly not ready for the film to end the way it did.

Well they got to hear a great Elton John song

Edited by Jake Gittes

It's not like the movies that Matthew mcconahey has been doing are really films that scream giant box office. They are all smaller films with smaller releases and I don't really think anybody could have gotten those films to do quite a bit more. It's not like he's starring in a lot of films that have Blockbuster potential.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anyways. I would have no problem if Matthew M did romantic comedies. Some of my favorite films have been romantic comedies. I also have no problem with Matthew M's career trajectory. I would rather an actor/actress try/do different types of projects than do the same type of projects over and over and over again. The best thing about Mcconaughey is that he isn't really type cast into a specific role. He can do serious films, comedy films, action films etc and to me that's the best thing you could want from an actor/actress. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The Spectacular Now, A Most Violent Year, 20th Century Women, Green Room, End of the Tour, Good Time, Locke, Lean on Pete all could have stood to make more I think. They have this thing where they'll rapidly expand a movie from under 100 theaters to over 600 and the PTA predictably collapses and there's no time for awareness to appear (beyond movie buffs) or WOM to catch on and two weeks later the movie's gone. Searchlight, Miramax/TWC, Focus in their prime all seemed like they really cared about maximizing their limited releases' potential, all these new hip distributors often give the sense that they put a movie in semi-wide release and sorta just assume people will show up based on... internet critical hype? I dunno. Looking at the list of their releases Lady Bird, Hereditary, The Witch, The Lobster, maybe Ex Machina and Spring Breakers are the only times I was genuinely impressed with how an A24 movie performed. 

I'd blame 20th Century Women's performance more on the fact it was surrounded by movies with larger Oscar buzz than any expansion (yes, I know it was nominated for two Globes, but...c'mon). A couple of the movies you listed also didn't even reach 600 theaters either, so I don't really know what you're going at here. I do at least agree with you on Spectacular Now and especially A Most Violent Year.

I know nothing about unplanned. haven't watched  a trailer...all i know is that it's anti abortion. i have no problem with presenting a different point of view. i am just surprised people disagree with abortion in the us

Edited by Alli