CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

I thought DH2 kinda fumbled the book ending anyway, though still a decent film.

Really? The epilogue is almost verbatim from the book, isn't it? Meaning decent book chapter = decent film scene. Somewhat cringe, but in a suitably emotional way. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheBigYawn said:

Really? The epilogue is almost verbatim from the book, isn't it? Meaning decent book chapter = decent film scene. Somewhat cringe, but in a suitably emotional way. 

Not the epilogue but the ending battle itself, I usually count all of that stuff together as ending. 

8 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Not the epilogue but the ending battle itself, I usually count all of that stuff together as ending. 

I think the point of the discussion was that the FB series should have a conclusive ending much like DH 2 had in contrast to the earlier Potter movies. 

Whether they screwed up the climax or not in DH is not relevant to that point, but on that matter very few people seem to praise the climax of neither the book nor the movie because it was just a suitably decent climax to a good story. 

Edited by TheBigYawn

5 minutes ago, TheBigYawn said:

I think the point of the discussion was that the FB series should have a conclusive ending much like DH 2 had in contrast to the earlier Potter movies. 

Whether they screwed up the climax or not in DH is not relevant to that point, but on that matter very few people seem to praise the climax of neither the book nor the movie because it was just a suitably decent climax to a good story. 

I was more responding to the claim that DH2 was the perfect ending to leave the series on. Because I was kinda dissatisfied with the climax, I wouldn't necessarily mind a nostalgia sequel, while if I was more satisfied with it, I would've been more opposed. That it was a conclusive ending, I don't dispute.

14 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I was more responding to the claim that DH2 was the perfect ending to leave the series on. Because I was kinda dissatisfied with the climax

I agree it was not as climactic as expected. It was a simple and decent climax, but I felt the exact same thing when I read it in the book; it was just about destroying Voldemort at that point and we knew more or less how it would go down. Nothing in that monologue was of any importance that hadn't been covered earlier. Still the prior events leading up to the climax were so satisfying that both the movie and book are close to classics to me. 

Edited by TheBigYawn

I preferred the book ending compared to the Film. In the book, Harry just talks to Voldemort in the end why he is the real master of the elder wand and while everyone else just listens, the wand kills Voldemort very apruptly and his corpse is ignored by everyone.

In the film Thanos snaps and Voldemort disintegrates. I found that to be a bit confusing since Thanos wasnt in the book.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

In the film Thanos snaps and Voldemort disintegrates. I found that to be a bit confusing since Thanos wasnt in the book.

I think we should have had Thor come in and chop off some heads instead. 

Which also is a good reminder how lucky we were that the later Potter movies were not ruined by comic relief. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

In the book, Harry just talks to Voldemort in the end why he is the real master of the elder wand and while everyone else just listens

Not to mention Rowling thought it would be so clever to describe how Harry and Voldemort circled one another like in a western showdown. Ironically, even though Yates changed the climax, he also had the clever idea to have Voldemort and Harry crawl for their weapons on the ground like a western showdown.

They were both... wrong.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

Wasn't that the point though, for all his power Voldemort ended up dying like a little bitch

I liked that aspect of it as well, but try explaing to a movie studio why you gave your villain that you spent 7 movies building up to be a true menace such a bitchy, kind of hilarious death while the final fight will be a talk battle instead of an EPIC SLOW MOTION showdown.

• Like 2

61% with 84 reviews, all last 3 of which are rotten. It's kinda obvious that some critics jump on the hate bandwagon as it becomes clearer that the narrative of this movie spells doom, regardless if the movie in fact deserves such a treatment. Ugh awful

Edit: In the case of one of the above 3 reviews (Observer), the reviewer gave the movie 3/5 stars and still submitted the review as "rotten"...

Edited by Xavier

2 hours ago, Xavier said:

61% with 84 reviews, all last 3 of which are rotten. It's kinda obvious that some critics jump on the hate bandwagon as it becomes clearer that the narrative of this movie smells doom, regardless if the movie in fact deserves such a treatment. Ugh awful

Edit: In the case of one of the above 3 reviews (Observer), the reviewer gave the movie 3/5 stars and still submitted the review as "rotten"...

This is my issue with RottenTomatoes, and that it removes nuance. The Observer didn't hate the film clearly or think of it as a bad film, but doesn't want to give it a fresh.

The Looper review, while clearly criticizing some aspects of the film, seemed to enjoy it mostly so I'm surprised it was given a rotten.

Also, at this point, I think if they made an 8-10 episode HBO Max series of Dumbledore/Grindelwald...that would be hugely successful. They could cover their entire lives from when they were 17 up until their final duel. 

It could definitely work.

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

Also, at this point, I think if they made an 8-10 episode HBO Max series of Dumbledore/Grindelwald...that would be hugely successful. They could cover their entire lives from when they were 17 up until their final duel. 

The optics of a Wizarding World entry "demoted" to streaming would be awful. It will not be the same as the Marvel or Star Wars streaming shows which were planned this way from the get go.

Edited by Xavier

1 hour ago, Xavier said:

The optics of a Wizarding World entry "demoted" to streaming would be awful. It will not be the same as the Marvel or Star Wars streaming shows which were planned this way from the get go.

Well optics of completely cancelled Fantastic Beasts franchise are even worse.

Honestly, a new HBO Max series for Dumbledore/Grindelwald could prove great and a way for a new creative team to leave their mark. 

Hire the best creative team and if done properly, could end up being a gem in the WW. 

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Honestly, a new HBO Max series for Dumbledore/Grindelwald could prove great and a way for a new creative team to leave their mark. 

Hire the best creative team and if done properly, could end up being a gem in the WW. 

But this story is already being told. Without having seen FB3, we know it stops short of showing the big duel which has been promised to us. It seems that there is some sort of duel between the two in this film, just in case it is the last one in the series..

4 hours ago, Noctis said:

Again, how would you fit in the story already told? Would you recast and retell it?

Honestly, it was very premature and too ambitious to announce a 5-film series back then. They completely discarded the most important rule of storytelling, which is the existence of a good story, as the Star Wars sequel trilogy found out the hard way.

Edited by Xavier