CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Another “we shot all the gay stuff in a way so it could easily be removed” movie.

Lmao so the whole representation thing is just 2 lines of easily removable dialogue 🤣

56 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Told ya. 💅

We were told repeatedly, by people who had not seen the movie btw, that it is a "major win for representation" and how "historic the representation in this film is in a blockbuster" and "most mature and realistic depiction of gay men in blockbuster history." and it is " the most nuanced and explicit in blockbuster history"

And by people I mean

Spoiler

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, WeThrones said:

Yeah, nothing new here. I guess we will soon know what will happen with the rest of the franchise.

Doing sequel to the original movies is wrong move IMO.

I dunno. Just say that the sequels take place 30 years or after DH2. Harry hasnt been able to stop a new generation of Death Eaters (The Original Order) to start another magic civil war and thus chose to live as a depressed eremite in his old chamber underneath the staircase. Meanwhile, Ron and Hermione broke up after their son joined The Original Order and became the apprentice of Voldemorts successor, Lord Neville.

Sounds good to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I dunno. Just say that the sequels take place 30 years or after DH2. Harry hasnt been able to stop a new generation of Death Eaters (The Original Order) to start another magic civil war and thus chose to live as a depressed eremite in his old chamber underneath the staircase. Meanwhile, Ron and Hermione broke up after their son joined The Original Order and became the apprentice of Voldemorts successor, Lord Neville.

Sounds good to me.

I think @Porthos will be interested in a sequel like that 

9 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Sounds good to me.

Only if we never get a shot of Harry, Ron and Hermione together again. And if the new chosen one is Grindelwald's granddaughter.

7 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Lmao so the whole representation thing is just 2 lines of easily removable dialogue 🤣

We were told repeatedly, by people who had not seen the movie btw, that it is a "major win for representation" and how "historic the representation in this film is in a blockbuster" and "most mature and realistic depiction of gay men in blockbuster history." and it is " the most nuanced and explicit in blockbuster history"

And by people I mean

Hide contents

Reminds of that baffling article from GLAAD where the head of the organisation lied and claimed people at her screening of Eternals clapped and cheered when one of the characters kissed his husband.

”Seeing a powerful gay superhero kiss his husband and feeling the reaction in that theater was a real-life example of why it is important for our stories to be told”

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/gay-superhero-eternals-glaad-1235105082/

GLAAD were championing a quick peck on the lips like it was legalisation of equal marriage… in 2021. 

I would have to assume that WB knows a fourth and fifth movie aren’t happening. They’re probably read to put the whole thing to bed after this. Their next step would be to try and convince Rowling to let them do a Harry Potter sequel with the original trio returning. 

16 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

And by people I mean

Hide contents

Have you even seen the movie yourself? I have and it's a lot more than a couple of lines. Are they gonna edit out the implications from the action scenes too? 

As a digression I heard gasps from a person in my theater when Dumbledore proclaimed he had been in love with Grindelwald. I think that goes to show that we need more queer romance in movies like this to normalize it, so you should encourage more movies to follow lead rather than making fun of this one for "not doing enough". 

However why should they do more? The point is not to... erm make a point out of someone being gay, but to feature a gay romance and not let that be the only defining trait of a character. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, TheBigYawn said:

Have you even seen the movie yourself? I have and it's a lot more than a couple of lines. Are they gonna edit out the implications from the action scenes too? 

As a digression I heard gasps from a person in my theater when Dumbledore proclaimed he had been in love with Grindelwald. I think that goes to show that we need more queer romance in movies like this to normalize it, so you should encourage more movies to follow lead rather than making fun of this one for "not doing enough". 

However why should they do more? The point is not to... erm make a point out of someone being gay, but to feature a gay romance and not let that be the only defining trait of a character. 

Wow IMPLICATIONS!!! Such monumental representation. Looks like I hit a spot :P

I am not even gonna bother about your other points. I don't care how much representation is in this movie nor was I making fun of the movie it self. I WAS making fun of some people who had hyped the gay moments in this movie as if it was some ground breaking, never done before in a big movie thing. 

But I guess it's too much to expect people to read the entire post and understand context. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AJG said:

Reminds of that baffling article from GLAAD where the head of the organisation lied and claimed people at her screening of Eternals clapped and cheered when one of the characters kissed his husband.

GLAAD were championing a quick peck on the lips like it was legalisation of equal marriage… in 2021. 

GLAAD pretty much has to champion any kind of visibility for high profile gay characters seeing how there's politicians who are looking to overturn gay marriage right now. It's one of those things where making it normal and not a big deal is important to the organization and literally anything that goes through uncut is a win.

It's about ensuring progress isn't rolled back on a societal scale.

• Like 2

I've seen the movie and I think it is the best Fantastic Beasts movie and far better than the last one, which was absolutely horrible. Sadly, the gay romantic scenes between Dumbledore and Grindelwald can be easily removed and for the audience's eyes it would just be a fight between two guys who used to be friends (sad, but it is how straight people view LGTB historic figures sometimes). However, this is the closest we have been to have a gay romance between protagonists in a big budget blockbuster (correct me if I'm wrong), which is also sad...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

But I guess it's too much to expect people to read the entire post and understand context.

I can't bother keeping up with your history with another user. I addressed a few points about the movie which were not entirely correct. That's nothing personal, it's just stating facts. 

2 hours ago, AJG said:

Another “we shot all the gay stuff in a way so it could easily be removed” movie.

But this was supposed to be the most organic gay story ever put in a blockbuster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, YourMother said:

But this was supposed to be the most organic gay story ever put in a blockbuster.

If you want that and can live without the blockbuster label, watch The Handmaiden (2016).

Also, in general.

Everyone should watch The Handmaiden.

• Like 1

I wonder if WB and David Heyman might decide to do an open pitch for writers and directors for ideas for new Wizarding World films much like they do with DC. Rowling would be involved in some capacity but not as a writer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rewatching the first 2 beasts films for the first time since theaters in prep for this weekend. Honestly, the first was pretty enjoyable. I remember the second being pretty bad, but I’m only 20 minutes in so far and it hasn’t gotten bad quite yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Marston said:

the main problem with this series is the last movie being horrible. Nothing more complicated than that

And the first one was only OK.

Yeah, two dissapointing films in a row is what has probably doomed the franchise.

THree strikes and you are out.

I just don't see WOM saving it. TO begin with, let's see what the WOM is from those who are not hardcore fans of the movies.

Let's not forget most of the dedicated fans liked the second one........

Edited by dudalb