Eric Prime

Megalopolis l September 27, 2024 | Lionsgate | Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, AJG said:

Why? 

Why would one of the majors want this movie? Coppola's last 2 films went straight to DVD and they came out back in 2009 and 2011. The film has a horrible reception and Coppola's name seems to be doing a lot of heavy lifting when it comes to appeal.

All I'll say is, when nearly every other major theatrical market in the world buys the film except for the US, it makes U.S. studios/distributors look silly.  (But of course, maybe Coppola is also not compromising on certain elements of potential U.S. offers...)  Whatever reason they have for rejecting it, I'd prefer a distributor who at least saw the prestige in having what could very well be Coppola's last film.  ...and it's not even like the filmmaker is some scandal, himself...only a scandal of ambition...which he's always had.  They were afraid in the 1970s, too, but it didn't stop them distributing his films...  

Edited by Macleod

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Macleod said:

and it's not even like the filmmaker is some scandal, himself

HAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh God you're serious.

Let me tell you a bit about a movie called Hearts of Darkness

Edited by SpiderByte

On 5/23/2024 at 1:44 AM, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Some of these old directors need to quit while they are ahead because they clearly don't have it in them anymore.

I really,really, dislike that amount of ageism I see in this forum.

I hope you are happy when Horror, Comdey and varous Action genre films are the only movies shown in theaters.

• Like 1

Also weird that the IMAX of it all was so stressed when The Wild Robot is also getting IMAX that week so they'll have to share? Lionsgate already bungled this.

Though honestly it's going to gross like $5mil total so whatever

Edited by CoolioD1

They don't specify how wide the release is, and I suspect FFC must've really had to compromise in order to get Lionsgate on board with this. Imagine it's gonna be semi-wide at best with only evening IMAX showtimes while Wild Robot gets the rest, sorta like that Blue Angels documentary. 

Edited by AniNate

9 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Genuinely don't know if lionsgate can afford this to miss 

I only think they got in it because they can afford to miss. No Way otherwise.

Coppola had to come lower 100%.

Dude. Lionsgate is dumping this 🤣🤣

They another movie "Never Let Go" that is much more commercial on this same weekend.

3 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

Dude. Lionsgate is dumping this 🤣🤣

They another movie "Never Let Go" that is much more commercial on this same weekend.

I had to google this "much more commercial" movie and I'm pretty sure their audiences don't overlap, it's big budget arthouse flick vs generic haunted house horror flick, there's no chance they have the same audience.