Eric Prime

Megalopolis l September 27, 2024 | Lionsgate | Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

Kubrick would've been cancelled if he was still alive today for his The Shining shoot alone, this is mid compared to what Kubrick did to Shelly Duvall or what Hitchock did to some actresses like Tippi Hedren, people have very selective moral compass. Most old time directors are creeps by today's standards or have skelletons in a closet, even Spielberg has some rumors that could or could not be true.

Edited by Firepower

It doesn't make it right, and hopefully that kind of behavior does go away completely. But I also know that people are more than just their worst moments caught on video so I don't care for the whole moral posturing angle. People are free to not see this if this news turns them away, and personally I wasn't going to go out of my way for it as well, but unless he crossed legal boundaries I don't think there are any more non-repetitive emotion-driven things people can say about it at this point. It's between him and the extras he allegedly exploited.

24 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Kubrick would've been cancelled if he was still alive today for his The Shining shoot alone, this is mid compared to what Kubrick did to Shelly Duvall or what Hitchock did to some actresses like Tippi Hedren, people have very selective moral compass. Most old time directors are creeps by today's standards or have skelletons in a closet, even Spielberg has some rumors that could or could not be true.

To be clear, the idea that Stanley Kubrick tormented Shelly Duvall was debunked pretty extensively, including by Duvall herself. Kubrick was indeed a control freak who had some shady things about him, but this notion that he put Duvall through hell on that set isn’t actually true. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

Hitchcock was terrible for sure. There were many things you could get away back then that is no go  now. But I have not heard anything bad about Spielberg for sure. His has his share of controversies but I have not heard about him sexually harassing any actor. 

7 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Hitchcock was terrible for sure. There were many things you could get away back then that is no go  now. But I have not heard anything bad about Spielberg for sure. His has his share of controversies but I have not heard about him sexually harassing any actor. 

There was a story about how Spielberg essentially waterboarded Susan Backlinie to get her to scream convincingly for the opening of Jaws. 

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Yeah, and at one time people thought owning slaves was OK.

That does not m ake it right or excuse them.

This is a terrible, terrible, argument.

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

The initial Variety article mentioned that this happened numerous times. 

I can only speak for myself but I can’t support this movie with everything that’s out about it’s making. 

You have to seperate the art from the artist. A lot of very great artists have been disgraceful human beings.

I don't know why people have problems understanding this.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

There was a story about how Spielberg essentially waterboarded Susan Backlinie to get her to scream convincingly for the opening of Jaws. 

That is the big problem with kubrick as well. Back then there was not CGI and so they had to go crazy in making it dramatic. Still not acceptable physically abusing actors for realism. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That is the big problem with kubrick as well. Back then there was not CGI and so they had to go crazy in making it dramatic. Still not acceptable physically abusing actors for realism. 

Agreed. BTW there are some really horrible stories about Cameron doing that kind of crap when filming 'The Abyss",

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Yeah, and at one time people thought owning slaves was OK.

That does not m ake it right or excuse them.

This is a terrible, terrible, argument.

I'm not justifying it, my point was about selective moral outrage where far worse things are ignored or forgotten by public.

Edited by Firepower

10 hours ago, dudalb said:

You have to seperate the art from the artist. A lot of very great artists have been disgraceful human beings.

I don't know why people have problems understanding this.

but if the very talented baker of my neighborhood is accused to violence against a woman or a child or whatever no one talks to him anymore. When it's "an artist" we have to separate the art from the artist (at least is not my baker making paints no one buys, in that case fuck him anyways). This elitist and classist bull.shit around billionaire artists is not...fu.ck them. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

https://theplaylist.net/william-friedkin-talks-slapping-an-exorcist-priest-making-gene-hackman-constantly-angry-on-the-french-connection-flashback-20230714/

“I asked him if he loved me and if he trusted me and he said, ‘You know I do, Bill,’” he remembered. “And I told the cameras to get ready and I hit him as hard as I could across the face, I [called action], and he went right into this scene, the shock of it brought forth the tears and afterward he embraced me and thanked me.”

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Haha 1

On 8/3/2024 at 12:17 AM, vale9001 said:

but if the very talented baker of my neighborhood is accused to violence against a woman or a child or whatever no one talks to him anymore. When it's "an artist" we have to separate the art from the artist (at least is not my baker making paints no one buys, in that case fuck him anyways). This elitist and classist bull.shit around billionaire artists is not...fu.ck them. 

I am not saying let the artist off the hook...I have blasted a lot of Polanski fans for baiscally wanting to give Polanski a get out of jail free card....I am saying we have to understand someone can be complete creek and still produce great art.