charlie Jatinder

The Admission Count Thread.

Ok thank you, btw do you know how much the NWH re-release earned internationally ? I know it was $9.3M in DOM but I have no idea about the rest of the world.

And I know it's hard to determine but how much money do you think the Avatar re-release would have made on top of what it did if it had been in theaters for more than 2 weeks in DOM and INT ?

Avatar 2 looks like 250M admissions for now. Could overperform to something like 260M. Will be 4th highest in 21st century behind Endgame 390M, Avatar ~315M and Infinity War 300M.

NWH 245M without China. Could have been closer to 310M with missing mkts. Ofcourse with Russia and normal China Avatar 2 be around ~310M.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Avatar 2 looks like 250M admissions for now. Could overperform to something like 260M. Will be 4th highest in 21st century behind Endgame 390M, Avatar ~315M and Infinity War 300M.

NWH 245M without China. Could have been closer to 310M with missing mkts.

China plus 55-60m admits for A2 with no Covid,and Russia probably 10m for A2

4 hours ago, Agafin said:

So you people actually expect Hollywood to be back in Russia this decade?

Who knows, Saudi Arabia has done comparabile things to Yemen and they are still showing all the movies they want without problems, those kind of things aren't really predictable... 

23 minutes ago, MG10 said:

Who knows, Saudi Arabia has done comparabile things to Yemen and they are still showing all the movies they want without problems, those kind of things aren't really predictable... 

Maybe when the war ends

Titanic remains the only film in the last 30 years with over 400M global admissions. I wonder if that number will ever be hit again? Endgame challenged it but couldn't quite get there. Better yet, I wonder if something can catch the zeitgeist and blow through to 500M :worthy:

4 hours ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

Better yet, I wonder if something can catch the zeitgeist and blow through to 500M :worthy:

think it'll have to come out of china, maxing out china and other asian countries,  but I dont know if china is capable of making movies that appeal to non-chinese in a massive scale

if not then maybe in 2 - 3 decades when african countries start expanding then a powerful enough western blockbuster might be able to do t

6 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

think it'll have to come out of china, maxing out china and other asian countries,  but I dont know if china is capable of making movies that appeal to non-chinese in a massive scale

if not then maybe in 2 - 3 decades when african countries start expanding then a powerful enough western blockbuster might be able to do t

I think your first scenario is a non-starter. I can't see a Chinese blockbuster playing very strong anywhere except China. I assume the best admissions for a Chinese film outside of the mainland is "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" but even that is only like 40-50M. 

For your 2nd scenario, I would think in many Western markets the theater experience may only be half the size it is now. I'm also not sure how far theaters will go in Africa, even in 2-3 decades. 

4 hours ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

Titanic remains the only film in the last 30 years with over 400M global admissions. I wonder if that number will ever be hit again? Endgame challenged it but couldn't quite get there. Better yet, I wonder if something can catch the zeitgeist and blow through to 500M :worthy:

I think it wont ever happen. Not because there wont be any movie in the future which could have an even wider mass appeal than Titanic, but because across the Western World moviegoing is in decline and especially the younger generation doesnt go to the movies that often anymore. The late 90s to early 2000s in hindsight seemed to be the peak of moviegoing across the Western World, which is besides China the most important market for movies in the world for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

I think your first scenario is a non-starter. I can't see a Chinese blockbuster playing very strong anywhere except China. I assume the best admissions for a Chinese film outside of the mainland is "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" but even that is only like 40-50M. 

For your 2nd scenario, I would think in many Western markets the theater experience may only be half the size it is now. I'm also not sure how far theaters will go in Africa, even in 2-3 decades. 

then the dangal way? ie, something from india 

15 minutes ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

Bunch of Chinese film break 500m admits last century if you willing to count that

Edited by Bruce

4 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Bunch of Chinese film break 500m admits last century if you willing to count that

free screenings dont count

9 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Naaahh gotta be something topping the worldwide box office. I know there are films in China and India with hundreds of millions of admits but those are an entirely different dynamic than today. 

15 hours ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

I think if China recovers from all this restrictions, in a short future a movie from Hollywood that succed in general worldwide and is a big hit in China, will easily beat 500 million admits. 

if movies like NWH or A2 are doing almost 300 M, it only needs 200 M from China, so if the market continues developing will be easy for a popultaion over 1,4 B, just a 25 % is 350 million people, so i see it very easy in a short future if the market develops.

15 hours ago, setna said:

I think if China recovers from all this restrictions, in a short future a movie from Hollywood that succed in general worldwide and is a big hit in China, will easily beat 500 million admits. 

if movies like NWH or A2 are doing almost 300 M, it only needs 200 M from China, so if the market continues developing will be easy for a popultaion over 1,4 B, just a 25 % is 350 million people, so i see it very easy in a short future if the market develops.

If we take best of Endgame i.e. LATAM, ASIA, US, CHINA and best of Avatar 2 i.e. Europe, that would be 430M+.