Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

Film: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug IMAX 3D

Time: 12:00pm

Crowd: 15%

Trailers - 

Godzilla - Really liked it. Looks like a proper monster movie.

Amazing Spiderman 2 - Still looks like a cartoon in parts

300 2 - meh. Not buying Eva Green as a warrior.

WTF no intersteller?

The Film:

Good, like the previous Hobbit movie but nowhere near the standard of the LOTR films. It's overlong as usual and there are some scenes that just drag on and on but the action is pretty good, if not anything mindblowing. Legolass and Tauriel are great additions. I'd recommend if you like the first film.

hobbit

8pm

sold out, big ass crowd

trailers:

lego movie - what

47 ronin - the

walking with dinosaurs - fuck?

godzilla - awesome!!!!!!!!

film's cool. Was getting good vibes from the audience until that ending...

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

CARIBBEAN CINEMAS MEGAPLEX 7

THE HOBBIT : DESOLATION OF SMAUG  5.25PM 70% Full  crowd was pretty mix old young not so young no kids though 

trailers (missed most of them )

saw the end of some movie trailer with vince vaughn 

47 RONIN

crowd def enjoyed the movie  , everyone laughed at the barrel scene and everyone reacted at the cliffhanger ending with whaaaat  no way the movie is over , even i !! def anxious to see the next one 

i love seeing that reaction from everyone because that means to me they too was also into it 

i was so into the movie i didnt feel the time pass so didnt realize the end was near ...

• Like 1

Posted Image

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

9:00PM Tuesday, December 17th

Regal Fenway 13 & RPX

Theater Capacity: 225 (50% full; overwhelming majority of audience were guys in the 20's)

Ticket Price: $9.50

Concessions: small popcorn and hot chocolate, $4.50

TRAILERS:

Land of the Dinosaurs - lots of talking, mediocre trailer

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - looks bad, got lots of talking from crowd

Welcome to Yesterday - a Michael Bay-produced found footage time travel movie? I'm in! Rest of the crowd had mixed reactions

Mr. Peapody & Sherman - mood went from disinterest to very good as the trailer progressed; looks pretty funny

22 Jump Street - very funny trailer, lots of laughing and talking, good reaction

Blended - some laughs and lots of talking, although not the relationship dynamic I think people want/expect between Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler

Neighbors - best reaction of all the trailers, looks fantastic

I, Frankenstein - boring trailer and no reaction

That Awkward Moment - awkward trailer, but good reaction

THE FILM:

Ehh, what's there to say? While Anchorman remains one of the most quoted movies of my adolescence, it was also one of those movies that drive you absolutely crazy for how absolutely stupid it is, and Anchorman 2 is exactly the same. I guess the glaring difference between these two films is that Anchorman 2 has a story with a purpose (or so it seems), and the discussion it raises is as timely as ever.

The four core actors fell right back into their roles and were great, although I'd have loved to see a little more Brian Fantana (Paul Rudd) and Jack Lime (James Marsden) in the film. Steve Carrell's Brick Tamland got the loudest laughs in the room (especially from me), but the idiot love story they wrote in for him seemed a little too ridiculous at points. While the advertising for this movie has reached a fever pitch as of late, I have to admit how impressed I was at the cavalcade of star cameo performances featured throughout this movie that weren't leaked to the public. The movie ends up in some strange, silly places that could've very well ruined the whole thing, but the amount of comic star power from every corner saves the day.

The 70's music and jabs at the era were really fun, and--again--the story about 24/7 news networks strangely captivated me at parts. You go into the movie expecting Anchorman: The Sequel, which you receive; but you also get Anchorman: The Tongue-In-Cheek Satire. The direction is very much by the book, and the editing & effects they employ are awful almost obviously intended to enhance comic effect. At this they succeed, and overall Anchorman 2 is the laugh fest everyone wanted it to be. I know anyone that is planning to see Anchorman 2 had their minds made up before taking a gander at my crowd report. :-)

Experience - 24/30

Story/Writing - 15/20

Acting - 11/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 7/15

Directing - 6/10

Music - 10/10

THE VERDICT: 73/100, B

Comments, Likes, and feedback are always appreciated. Thank you.

• Like 3

Posted Image

American Hustle

8:30PM Thursday, December 19th

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 215 (65% full; mostly adult and college student crowd, even split men and women)

Ticket Price: $2.50

Concessions: small Icee & nachos, $12.50

TRAILERS:

Lone Survivor - this was a closer look featurette, but pretty uninteresting; no reaction

Sabotage - great action cast, but weak reaction and mediocre trailer

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - boring trailer, whispers from crowd

Million Dollar Arm - Don Draper does a Disney movie? This should be interesting... nice trailer, lots of talking, and looks good

Endless Love - a lot of ooooooohs and aahhhhhs from my crowd, lots of talking

Robocop - good reaction

The Other Woman - clever plot for a female-skewed romantic comedy, lots of talking

The Monuments Men - no reaction

THE FILM:

American Hustle is really good, but to be 100% completely honest I am the tiniest bit bummed that the film merely met my expectations rather than exceeded them. With David O'Russell's The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook, I was impressed and even had my expectations exceeded. American Hustle is right there with those pictures quality-wise, so I don't know what more I was hoping for. The movie is definitely a funny one, it's just a completely different kind of funny from other comedies out there right now (Anchorman 2, et al).

The starring cast members in this are sensational, once again demonstrating their range and abilities. Christian Bale: I love you! I LOVE YOU! Hahahahaha. There is nothing the man cannot do, and his performances make me believe that anything is possible ("If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything."-Marty McFly... sorry, had to). Amy Adams: I WANT YOU! Between the innocent nun in Doubt to the hustling seductress in this picture, Amy Adams is perhaps the most underrated, under-talked-about actresses of this generation. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper are brilliant here, too, but--again--we wouldn't expect anything less from either of them. 

While the humor is variant, it is dispersed excellently. The costume and set designs really do put you in the 1970's (THAT HAIR!!!). The most memorable thing about this picture, though, is the music. I don't know who selected the soundtrack for this picture, but they deserve gold stars on their resumé. David O'Russell directs flawlessly, probably because he's assembled the best teams of people in front of and behind the camera making the genre of movies his work falls under. The crowd really dug the movie, too, with a few people clapping afterwards and everyone laughing throughout. I recommend American Hustle very highly, especially if you liked O'Russell's other films or Ocean's 11 (has kind of an Ocean's vibe).

Experience - 28/30

Story/Writing - 18/20

Acting - 15/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 13/15

Directing - 10/10

Music - 10/10

THE VERDICT: 94/100, A

Comments, Likes, and Feedback are always welcome. Thank you.

Edited by Andy Stitzer 2
  • Like 3

American Hustle

7:10 showing

Audience Size: The theater was packed, nearly 100% full.

Trailers -

The Monument's Men - Crowd was fairly quiet, but a lot of people were still coming into the theater.

Some Movie with Nicki Minaj, the trailer was so forgettable I forgot what it was even called and the audience seemed bored with it too.

Her - Got polarizing reactions, some people scoffed at it, others were intrigued, but the only trailer to actually get a reaction.

Crowd Reaction to the Film - They were laughing throughout, and many of them seemed fairly engaged in the whole thing, and it got good chatter on the way out.  It was very crowd pleasing.

I personally really liked the film, i'm not sure if I like it better than Silver Linings Playbook yet, I need to let it sink in.

• Like 1

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

December 20, 7:15 PM, 60%

of the time, it's full every time

full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers

Mr. Peabody and Sherman - no reaction

Welcome to Yesterday  - some murmurs

Ride Along - laughs

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - no reaction

Movie was hilarious, and the audience loved it too. This is may have been the most I've heard an audience laughed at a movie. I did indeed miss several laughs. Great time!

• Like 1

caribbean cinemas megaplex 7

THE HOBBIT 2  ( second viewing ) 3D   2pm 50% full 

trailers:

delivery man (boring)

the marked ones (hummed the entire time i don't watch horror films)

jack ryan shadow recruit (had no idea cpt kirk was in this guess i'll be watching still prefer ben affleck's)

47 ronin

the secret life of walter mitty (looks dumb but maybe it might surprise me )

seventh son (????)

movie is just as good as the first time i saw it , and this trip no anticipation meant i had time to soak in the scenes better and focus on characters i didnt know very well like the people from laketown and the elves , i didn't remember seeing gandalf in a cage so yeah i guess seeing it a 2nd time in 3D i wasnt bothered as much by the 3D by which i mean aware of it and fidgeting with keeping the 3D glasses on my prescription ones 

the ending never fails to get a reaction !

i have to say the more i hear the song by ed sheeran the more its growing on me i like it !

• Like 1

Posted Image

Saving Mr. Banks
(*Can everyone just pause and admire this poster for a moment? I know it's not the first time a poster has played with shadow like this, but it's really done to great affect here)

7:15PM Monday, December 23rd

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 214 (40% full; mainly families, couples, and teenagers)

Ticket Price: $12.50

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS:

(put my phone away at someone's request, so didn't write down the trailers/reactions)

THE FILM:

I've been trying to watch this for a couple weeks now; I try to watch everything Tom Hanks comes out with these days. With its plot revisiting the making of a Hollywood classic, Saving Mr. Banks is very similar to last year's Hitchcock. The main difference is this picture is more sentimental and less funny than that picture. But the movie is rescued by some very likable performances.

Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson get top billing for good reason, and they both act quite well in the picture. However, I think the standout performance comes from Colin Farrell. I was just thinking I'd write this is his best dramatic work since In Bruges, but that's a disservice to his performance in Seven Psychopaths (yes... technically a comedy, but so was In Bruges... and Saving Mr. Banks). If this wasn't such a competitive year for supporting actors, I'd think Colin Farrell would have a shot at awards glory. I liked the set designs and the choice to shoot at Disneyland for a couple scenes; this definitely captured its era.

The music seemed a bit lazy, relying too heavily on Mary Poppins and the motifs from that film--could've been more. And again, the film aims very much for sentimentality. Unfortunately, there's not enough depth in this story for the common cinema goer to get all gooey and sad, which is a little surprising considering sentimental Disney films can usually go for that. A few people walked out during the movie (an old man, and a couple in their 30's), and the laughs in this were pretty light. There are a couple other movies out right now I'd put higher on my list if you're looking for something family friendly (Frozen, The Hobbit: DOS), but this isn't a bad choice (especially if you're interested in film history).

Experience - 21/30

Story/Writing - 12/20

Acting - 14/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 12/15

Directing - 5/10

Music - 4/10

THE VERDICT: 68/100, C

Comments, likes, and feedback are always appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by Andy Stitzer 2
  • Like 1

THE HARRY HILL MOVIE3:25pm, Sunday 22 DecemberVue HarrowTheatre Capacity: about 20-30 people at the start. I'd guess 10 at the endTrailers:The muppets most wanted- great reaction from the crowdThe Lego movie- some kid behind me was saying every single line from the trailer as it appeared. N/r from rest of audienceMr Peabody and Sherman- no reactionJustin Bieber Believe- Load and loads of groans, a bit of booingNow onto the film itselfWhat a bunch of tripe, absolutely terrible from the first minute. Nearly an hour in (including trailers), I pretended I needed the toilet to just get out for 5 minutes, when I got back we decided to leave 2 minutes later. That is the first ever time I have left the cinema without the film finishing. Harry hill was disappointing and the villians were some of the worst I have ever seen. DEFINITELY AVOID THISExperience- 3/30Story/Writing- 0/20Acting- 0/15Tech specs- 0/15Directing 1/10Music- 0/104/100- F

Edited by Frozen2013
  • Like 1

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

December 25, 7:15 PM, 80% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers

Son of God - confused reactions at the trailer being in Spanish without subtitles

Noah - no reaction

The LEGO Movie - lots of laughs

Rio 2 - no reaction

Mr. Peabody and Sherman - no reaction

Movie was enjoyable, if a bit long. Audience laughed at appropriate points, but overall it was just an average crowd. Good way to spend Christmas evening.

Posted Image

The Wolf of Wall Street

8:00PM Wednesday, December 25th

The Coolidge Theater

Theater Capacity: ~500 (60% full; adult audience of all ages, and mostly Jewish... big surprise [sarcasm])

Ticket Price: $10.25

Concessions: regular coffee, $3.00

TRAILERS:

Inside Llewyn Davis - some talking during trailer, then whispers

Her - great trailer, no reaction

THE FILM:

So. Much. Cocaine.

Eat your heart out, Tony Montana.

As expected, Scorsese directs another film for the history books. His adaptation of Jordan Belfort's memoirs of the same name is dark, lewd, offensive, objectionable, perverse, despicable, but above all... delightful! I cannot remember the last time I watched so many people joyfully relish in the reprehensibly sinful content of a film at the theater like audience members did tonight watching this saga.

Leonardo DiCaprio once again gives a spot on performance that transcends the efforts of his Hollywood peers as the criminally devious, incredibly likable Jordan Belfort. The supporting cast--Jonah Hill, Cristin 'The Mother' Milioti, Margot Robbie, Joanna Lumley, Jean Dujardin, and P.J. Byrne (among several others)--act the sh!t out of their roles and effectively make you love everything you're watching on screen. I have seen some very f*ck*ed up events on screen in movies this year (Movie 43 and 12 Years A Slave come to mind), but now the illicit content of The Wolf of Wall Street effortlessly tops that list. (Quaaludes + cocaine + crack cocaine + morphine + more quaaludes = ... use your imagination, or watch this movie to find out)

The music selection was great... almost as good as American Hustle. At 73 years old, Thelma Schoonmaker continues to outdo her previous best works at film editing. The film may run for a very disheartening 3 hours, but by the time it ends you're just grateful film legends like Martin Scorsese continue to grace audiences with skillfully crafted and infectiously entertaining movies like this one. The whole audience ate it right up--laughing through the majority of it, gasping when appropriate, sitting on the edge of their seats during some surprisingly action-packed moments, and clapping when the credits began rolling. Anyone who loves a dark comedy or can appreciate good filmmaking when it's served to them on a silver platter needs to watch The Wolf of Wall Street.

Experience - 29/30 (loses 1 point because I got two phone calls for work during the movie... BOO!)

Story/Writing - 20/20

Acting - 15/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 14/15

Directing - 10/10

Music - 9/10

THE VERDICT: 97/100, A+

• Like 1

Posted Image

The Wolf of Wall Street

8:00PM Wednesday, December 25th

The Coolidge Theater

Theater Capacity: ~500 (60% full; adult audience of all ages, and mostly Jewish... big surprise [sarcasm])

Ticket Price: $10.25

Concessions: regular coffee, $3.00

TRAILERS:

Inside Llewyn Davis - some talking during trailer, then whispers

Her - great trailer, no reaction

THE FILM:

So. Much. Cocaine.

Eat your heart out, Tony Montana.

As expected, Scorsese directs another film for the history books. His adaptation of Jordan Belfort's memoirs of the same name is dark, lewd, offensive, objectionable, perverse, despicable, but above all... delightful! I cannot remember the last time I watched so many people joyfully relish in the reprehensibly sinful content of a film at the theater like audience members did tonight watching this saga.

Leonardo DiCaprio once again gives a spot on performance that transcends the efforts of his Hollywood peers as the criminally devious, incredibly likable Jordan Belfort. The supporting cast--Jonah Hill, Cristin 'The Mother' Milioti, Margot Robbie, Joanna Lumley, Jean Dujardin, and P.J. Byrne (among several others)--act the sh!t out of their roles and effectively make you love everything you're watching on screen. I have seen some very f*ck*ed up events on screen in movies this year (Movie 43 and 12 Years A Slave come to mind), but now the illicit content of The Wolf of Wall Street effortlessly tops that list. (Quaaludes + cocaine + crack cocaine + morphine + more quaaludes = ... use your imagination, or watch this movie to find out)

The music selection was great... almost as good as American Hustle. At 73 years old, Thelma Schoonmaker continues to outdo her previous best works at film editing. The film may run for a very disheartening 3 hours, but by the time it ends you're just grateful film legends like Martin Scorsese continue to grace audiences with skillfully crafted and infectiously entertaining movies like this one. The whole audience ate it right up--laughing through the majority of it, gasping when appropriate, sitting on the edge of their seats during some surprisingly action-packed moments, and clapping when the credits began rolling. Anyone who loves a dark comedy or can appreciate good filmmaking when it's served to them on a silver platter needs to watch The Wolf of Wall Street.

Experience - 29/30 (loses 1 point because I got two phone calls for work during the movie... BOO!)

Story/Writing - 20/20

Acting - 15/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 14/15

Directing - 10/10

Music - 9/10

THE VERDICT: 97/100, A+

What was your audiences reaction to it?

• Like 1

What was your audiences reaction to it?

" I cannot remember the last time I watched so many people joyfully relish in the reprehensibly sinful content of a film at the theater like audience members did tonight watching this saga."

"The whole audience ate it right up--laughing through the majority of it, gasping when appropriate, sitting on the edge of their seats during some surprisingly action-packed moments, and clapping when the credits began rolling."

Maybe read it next time.

• Like 1

" I cannot remember the last time I watched so many people joyfully relish in the reprehensibly sinful content of a film at the theater like audience members did tonight watching this saga."

"The whole audience ate it right up--laughing through the majority of it, gasping when appropriate, sitting on the edge of their seats during some surprisingly action-packed moments, and clapping when the credits began rolling."

Maybe read it next time.

Sorry, I read through it I just didn't catch that.