Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

got back from a 730 pm showing in Philly....Sold out- Discount ThursdayTrailers: Man of Steel (mumbling, silence when the trailer started; good sign. I hate superman but for DC films sake the film needs to be good)The Campaign (lots of laughs)Total Recall (no response)Movie - A+Saw it a second time...after actually taking more of the movie in....I have changed my mind. The negative critics have got it wrong on this one. This movie could be the best of the franchise. The pacing was fine, the characters were developed JUST enough and the movie ties the trilogy together VERY VERY well. I actually think the movie NEEDS to have a second viewing because there's just so much to take in. I still can't believe i read a Spiderman 3 comparison; absolutely CRAZY IMO. Absolutely in-sane statement, and 100 percent wrong.The crowd clapped for every moment, they cheered during the right parts, and there was roaring applause at the end of the movie; i'm not even exaggerating. 1 friend (female) said it was the best one and she's seeing it again; and she doesn't go to comic book movies much. Another female friend said it was amazing. 2 guy friends said it was badass and they're seeing it again, 1 dude even said 2 more times, and he's a MARVEL fan. So on my end of the spectrum (if ya'll wanna take a sample) the WOM has been amazing outside of 1 person i know who was disappointed. Either this movie is the most polarizing blockbuster in a long time, which is affecting its audience views, the shooting has handicapped a big portion, or simply a combination of other factors including people not being able to let go of the Joker/Heath Ledger and refusing to let the film stand on it's own legs.. The film is truly about Bruce and it defines why Batman is such a long lasting character and will continue to be one. The ending...man what an ending. Also, hands down, the best score of the 3 movies, easily. If "Why do we fall" doesn't give people chills when it plays i don't know what to say. Zimmer did a great job. Best Batman score since Elfman on Batman 89, Batman Returns, and Mask of the Phantasm with Shirley (forget her last name, sadly i think she passed).All the performances were sick. Tate could have possibly been developed a LITTLE more, but not drastic enough to moan about it. Hathaway was awesome and will earn respect from all who doubted her. JGL's character is essential. Oldman, Freeman were awesome. Tom Hardy OWNED, I repeat OWNED as Bane; a complete symbol of no remorse and utter destruction.Bale did his best job out of the 3 movies... Michael Caine?? Wow. Not as much screen time as before but man, he is able to NAIL the time he has. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him an Oscar nom for this movie. Same for Hathaway, she was damn good and her character in terms of the story has a lot of underlying themes (morality, rich vs poor, the edge between good and bad; she played a GREAT Selina Kyle/Catwoman)Yes, there's issues, but i told my one bud (a Supes fan who hated to admit the movie was good) I could nit pick all day about 3 movies.No matter the finish of it's gross, the 3 movies will be looked back as classics and game changers for the comic book film genre, period. Imma call it and say either this movie has VERY late legs in August or it makes a killing on Home Video. The responses and WOM i've seen on my end has been too positive.At the very least, as Batman fan, there is basically nothing to complain about in the grand scheme of things. Nolan delivered 3 solid movies/classics, with 1 being a true cultural phenomenon and chose NOT to hold back and be a total crowd pleaser; Batman is not that type of character. He's deeper than that, he forces people to literally rise above the darkness; unfortunately not everyone can get that about the character, including that ******* who massacred innocent people in Aurora, Colorado.PS I'm also happy this wasn't in 3D.

Edited by jaybox
  • Like 2

The Dark Knight Rises

July 27, 1:15 PM, 25% full

Cinemark at Macedonia, Macedonia, OH

Trailers

The Bourne Legacy - I don't know, I was in the bathroom.

Total Recall - See above

Django Unchained - No reaction

ParaNorman - Scoffs of "Why is this being shown with Batman?"

The Campaign - Some laughs

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - People were confused at "Next December." Someone asked if it was Tom Sawyer. XD

Man of Steel - interested murmurs at Nolan's name and the title.

My opinion remains the same. There was some applause during the movie when Batman first shows up and

when Bruce climbs out of the pit.

Some crying at the end, and a lot of applause at the end. People were guessing along the movie. When I left for the bathroom in the middle of the movie, I saw a five-year-old in there crying with his dad, who went back into the theater with me.

This was right after Bane "broke" Batman, so I think it was too intense for him.

Edited by Blankments

July 29th, 7pm Henry Ford IMAX (Real 15/70 film) - 428 seats sold outSome laughter during movie

Catwoman stealing pearls and Bruce having to ride with Alfred after Catwoman takes his car.

Moderate applause at end of the movie.Enjoyed the movie and give it a 9 in IMAX and 8.5 in regular theaters if I can do that B)

Edited by Punishment

Watched TDKR a 3rd time tonight, first time on a non-IMAX/LieMAX screen. With regards to Bane's voice: I think it sounds much less like a megaphone/crummy dub job in a regular 2D-screen theater than it does with a high-quality sound system.

Other things I noticed:

- So much of the detail from the cinematography is lost on a regular big-screen presentation. Of course you're still watching the same movie, but those jaw-dropping visuals of Gotham don't have the same impact on a smaller screen as they do on IMAX.

- Crowd was still strong. 252-seat theater was about 80% to 90% full for a 9PM screening tonight (at AMC Boston Common, where they had plenty of other showings). That impressed me.

- A guy sitting next to me said "That's What She Said" during the Star Spangled Banner scene at something JGL's character says and about 20 of us sitting closely around him laughed uncontrollably through the rest of the national anthem (obviously to the displeasure of everyone else in the theater). That definitely lightened up the mood.

- The movie still holds up well on a 3rd viewing, although I'm starting to identify discrepancies in the storyline... but those could be up for debate.

• Like 1

late the report, but yoloThe Dark Knight Rises7/21/12 Regal Town Center Mt Pleasant 16$7.50 12:35pmThe Campaign- shorter trailer, still funnyOz: Great and Powerful- felt like Alice in Wonderland 2, not much reactionArgo- not much reaction, i dont think the audience really understood the storyThe Bourne Legacy- ok reaction, my friend said Jeremy Renner was "ugly" hahaThe Watch- we all know that storyJack Reacher- stupid, no reaction and it didnt give off any kind of M:I vibe that some people said this wouldMan of Steel- you could feel the "ooohhs" in the air when the S emblem appeared, but the teaser is still forgettable after this long movieI know i am late, but my condolences still go out to the victims of the horrible shooting that occured. I live in South Carolina, but i have a friend in Denver who actually goes to that theater. Yes this shooting may or may not be affecting BO, but the important thing is helping these families, bringing this horrible man to justice, and preventing a tragedy like this again. I hope no country has to endure another tragedy like this.The movie was like a departing plane. It started off sitting and slow, "engines reving", but it gets ready to "taxi" when Batman emerges. The movie soon "taxis" after the Batman and Bane fight, and "takes off" once Bane seels up the city. The final 30 minutes wasnt as epic as the Avengers, but it was still a far epic scope. Props to this movie over Avengers for the final 30 minutes having more realism. What Bane did to Gotham, really could actually happen, so as i was sitting in my seat, i felt emphathy for the Gotham characters. A certain scene really got everyone in the theater. People actually started to cry and go "did that just happen?". Even though many families turned away after the shooting, there were still a couple in my showing. Just as a note, this movie was darker than i originally thought. The final scene of the movie got mad applause and the end scenes with JGL raised many questions marks. Everyone in the theater was an average moviegoer, but the reception was very good. Bane and Catwoman were great add ons and the cast did a great job. Avengers is still my favorite, but Nolan did what he promised in this when he said "epic conclusion to the Batman trilogy." I was blown away.Check out my superhero write up here! http://jaysonb593.blogspot.com/2012/07/so-many-superheroes.html

• Like 1

CARIBBEAN CINEMASMEGAPLEX7 / 8.50pm 100%full(only 2 showings weekday the other at 7.20pm,oh and it only came out last weekend)i went to see it wednesday night and as it happens its ladies night so women only pay 5$ (use to be 4 before the summer) instead of 7.50$the movie left me pensive as always , i have to say one thing about nolan , his batman movies are by far the most mature and dark superhero films i've ever seen ,i'm always left with an uneasy feeling afterwards at how he depicts evil intentions and psyche deeply grounded in realism ,characters motivationsi need to watch this again clearly,that said i feel that DK was a better realized movie ,more tightly woven this one has very slight dips in quality level, i did not really care for the twist at the end regarding the villain even though i did not see it coming...and also i was very surprise at batman's appearance in this one guess i was expecting super-buff as usual but this c.bale reminded me of his character in the fighter slightly beefed upas for the experience itself, i have to admit i was a little on edge going to see it even if really the nerves were unfounded after all its a small cinema but so close to a tragic event its not easy to shake off the feeling that the unexpected could happen now that it actually has happen in a cinema ! but still audience was really good ,we missed the trailers but were able to find seats in the middle of the stadium like theatre(phew i hate been stuck all the way in front),2 ushers never left the room,they kept going up and down the stairs every 30mn or so then a security guy came in ,also went up and down the stairs then stop next to the row in front of me to talk to a guy who kept fishing out his blackberry every other minute to scroll(i swear i'm curse by blackberrys at the movies now)and might have thought he was acting fishy ,then about 40mn before the end the guy behind me kicked my seat really hard it startled me "he did say sorry" but wtf you know probably had his feet up on it and slipped and i hadnt realized! So as you see i wasnt over-exxagerating in my nervousness or to be more accurate the over-exxageration wasnt only displayed by me .ah-HA but to cap off the weird vibe of the evening as we left the theatre there's an escalator that go down toward a double door entrance one side of the door was locked so everyone was squeezing through the other side but not fast enough or not as fast as the escalator was bringing people down so at one point many people bumped into me then others bumped into them i tripped me and many others commented with a wth/wtf stupid why did they do that so yeah another reason i need to see this film again but next time i'll go in the afternoon if i can so as to miss the crowdsps1: imagine my surprise during the football stadium scene, i actually sat up in my seat and pointed at the screen and did O with my mouth as i recognize the signature gif of one of our members here, i think i even liked it when they first use it! the thing is i never watched a trailer for this latest batman so i had no clue i thought this was a random gif he found somewhere online which wwas pretty cool, i vaguely followed casting but that was about that...also not sure how i feel about catwoman but i guess it has to do with preferring the other female lead for the better part of the movie until ...all in all its a very good movie i give it a solid 8/10

• Like 1

I heard from a neighbor of mine when she saw Diary of a Wimpy Kid 3 today (very crowded), she liked it. Then as she and her children were getting out of the theater, she heard Total Recall was fun and her children wanted to see it next with some friends.

TDKR 2nd viewing MexicoThe room was 100% sold in a about 80 seater but outside for bigger showings was a super big line as big as toy story, so we can expect great hold on mexico.The film was much better the second time not problems with pacing anymore and the crowd (in mexico they never respond) was super engage and lag thing at the right time and everyone seem to like it :D great reactionA++

The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX

August 6, 6:00 PM, 10% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers - No responses at all

Oz: The Great and Powerful

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Skyfall

Man of Steel

Great time, my last one seeing it in theaters. So happy I was able to catch in IMAX, it's just gorgeous. The audience was pretty quiet, but I think there were probably a few people gasping and crying at the appropiate points. There was the usual applause at the end of the movie.

Edited by Blankments

NEW

The Bourne Legacy (3 screens, 14 showings)

The Campaign (2 screens, 14 showings)

Hope Springs (1 screen, 6 showings)

Ruby Sparks (1 screen, 6 showings)

Nitro Circus 3D (1 screen, 7 showings)

HOLDOVERS

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Dog Days (1 screen, 7 showings)

Total Recall (1 screen, 6 showings)

The Watch (1 screen, 7 showings)

The Dark Knight Rises (2 screens, 9 showings)

The Dark Knight Rises: The IMAX Experience (1 screen, 4 showings)

Ted (1 screen, 7 showings)

SHARED SCREENS

Brave/The Dark Knight Rises (4 showings/2 showings)

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Dog Days/Magic Mike (4 showings/2 showings)

Step Up: Revolution/Total Recall (2 showings/4 showings)

Ice Age: Continental Drift 2D/3D (4 showings/2 showings)

The Amazing Spider Man 2D/3D (4 showings/2 showings)

LEAVING

Savages (5 weeks)

BRAVE (2D)

Aug. 4, 2012

11:55 am, Glorietta 4

Makati City, Philippines

80% full in ~500 seater

- lots of families and young adult couples in the crowd

Trailers

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - no reaction

Diary of a Wimpy Kid 3: Dog Days - some laughs

Hotel Transylvania - some laughs

Finding Nemo 3D - I heard some chatter thinking it was the Part 2 already

The movie

Crowd responded well, laughing a lot especially at the triplets. During the climactic scene when the sun was about rise, heard some sobs and "oh no" from the kids.

While this movie was released a little late here compared to most Hollywood blockbusters, the play date was actually good with Madagascar 3 and Ice Age 4 out of the theaters already plus Dark Knight Rises demand subsided, it had the family audience for itself so i think it will do fine here in the box office and maybe has the chance to beat Ice Age 4 for top animated film this year.

I love the movie's heartfelt mother-daughter story and the amazing visuals. My full review here. I give this an A

Edited by forg
  • Like 1

The Bourne Legacy

12:10

About 70% full in a 300-seater

Trailers

This Is 40

Jack Reacher

Alex Cross

Les Miserables

In retooling the franchise without its title character, The Bourne Legacy is an enjoyable action-thriller despite the fact that it falls short of its predecessors. Jason Bourne is nowhere to be found in the film (save for a photograph), but his replacement, Aaron Cross, is more than adequate. As played by Jeremy Renner, Cross is a badass who flashes more charisma and personality than Bourne, and the decision to let him remember much of his backstory is a key step in keeping the film from feeling like a retread of the same territory covered in The Bourne Identity. He's not as compelling as Bourne, but nor is he a pale imitator. As solid as Renner has been in supporting roles in The Avengers and the most recent Mission: Impossible sequel, this role could be the one that establishes him as an action star, as Hollywood has seemed to want ever since his work in The Hurt Locker. Rachel Weisz is also very solid as the scientist-cum-love interest, and she has solid chemistry with Renner. The film is at its best when it focuses on Renner and/or Weisz, as their involvement stands separate enough from the events in the previous films that the long shadows of those films don't loom over them. On the other hand, writer-director Tony Gilroy is only somewhat successful in tying this film back to The Bourne Ultimatum. While it's somewhat interesting to see how the CIA deals with the fallout of that film's third act, the recall of characters and events from it slows the first act down to the point where viewers may become antsy for the film to get going rather than reviewing previously-covered ground. At 135 minutes (16 minutes longer than the longest previous entry), it's too long thanks to a beginning that takes too long to gather steam and a third-act chase scene that takes too much time to arrive at a climax that is disappointing relative to the setup and the length of the chase. But the middle portion of the film is very involving, and critics of the shakycam technique in the previous film will be glad to know that Robert Elswit keeps the camera still when action scenes aren't happening. It doesn't match up with the previous movies, which were some of the best action movies of the 2000s; but as a half-sequel, half-reboot, it's entertaining enough that it will do. B

The crowd was predominantly older (I'm guessing the median age was probably mid-40s) and seemed to like it. There were, however, audible gasps during a very unsettling shooting scene in the film. Admittedly, the scene is chilling enough that it would probably affect viewers even without the Aurora shooting still fresh in our minds, but I'm guessing that incident played into the dread-filled atmosphere in the auditorium during that scene.

The theater was moderately busy this afternoon. Bourne got a good crowd, and I'm guessing that The Campaign probably filled most of the seats in the 125-seater it's showing in (Total Recall is presently in the digital 300-seater and Bourne got the 35mm one at this theater).

• Like 1

[***I'M EXHAUSTED AND HAVE TO BE UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, SO SINCE THIS IS A DOUBLE-CROWD REPORT I AM GOING TO CONDENSE 'THE FILM' WRITE-UPS TO HAIKU POEMS]

Posted Image

Hope Springs

4:30pm Saturday, August 11th

Regal Fenway 13 & RPX

Theater Capacity: 250 (40% full; mainly older couples... like 50's+)

Ticket Price: $0 (I had a rewards ticket)

Concessions: small sprite, small popcorn ($10.25)

TRAILERS:

Skyfall - cool trailer, but calm reaction.

Zero Dark Thirty - a 9/11 feature about killing Osama Bin Laden directed by JC's ex-wife? I'm not interested, and neither was the audience.

Trouble With The Curve - trailer got some laughs from the audience, looks okay.

This is 40 - got an excellent reaction from audience; lots of laughing and talking afterwards... good to see the reception to this trailer from an older audience for a change.

Anna Karenina - why does Keira Knightly only seem to do period drama films now? Meh, no reaction... but it looks like it was shot in a cool way.

Hit and Run - this trailer sucked and got a pity laugh from some people, no reaction otherwise.

The Words - "Bradley Cooper again?" Waiting to see reviews on this film, but I have no faith in CBS Films.

THE FILM:

Meryl Streep's flawless.

Tommy Lee Jones holds his own.

Go see this movie.

Experience - 21/30

Story/Writing - 15/20

Acting - 13/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 10/15

Direction - 8/10

Music - 9/10 (*I loved the Annie Lennox song they squeezed in before the end... great mood-setter)

THE VERDICT: 76/100, B

-and-

Posted Image

The Campaign

10:30pm Saturday, August 11th

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 215 (95% full; I originally showed up for the 9:30pm but that was sold out as well. And best of all, the audience was a very good demographic mix)

Ticket Price: $12.00

Concessions: N/A

TRAILERS:

Silver Lining Playbills - great trailer and some talking, overall okay reaction.

Hit and Run - "Bradley Cooper Again?!" Good reaction and lots of laughing... this trailer was a little different from the other I saw today, and got a much warmer reception.

Fun Size - an awesome-looking, older-leaning raunchy comedy from "Nickelodeon Studios"?!?! It can't be!!! This looks way too awesome! And the crowd had a similarly awesome reaction to it.

Boom - looks stupid, but got an excellent reaction... so goes the Happy Madison routine.

Trouble With The Curve - this audience was certainly in the mood to laugh, gave a good reaction to this film (especially to the Dr. Phil line at the end).

Life of Pi - I've never read the book, but the trailer looks mesmerizing. I think there were whispers between every person in the theater after this trailer.

Argo - I'll watch anything Ben Affleck directs. This looks more mainstream and fun than some of Affleck's other movies, but got no reaction.

Finding Nemo 3D/"Please turn off your cell phones" Announcement - very clever, funny ad.

THE FILM:

Both candidates stink.

But that's usually the case.

Makes great comedy.

Experience - 24/30

Story/Writing - 16/20

Acting - 11/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 14/15 (a shot of Will Ferrell hitting a baby is amazingly put together)

Direction - 7/10

Music - 5/10

THE VERDICT: 77/100, B

• Like 2

[***I'M EXHAUSTED AND HAVE TO BE UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, SO SINCE THIS IS A DOUBLE-CROWD REPORT I AM GOING TO CONDENSE 'THE FILM' WRITE-UPS TO HAIKU POEMS]

Posted Image

Hope Springs

4:30pm Saturday, August 11th

Regal Fenway 13 & RPX

Theater Capacity: 250 (40% full; mainly older couples... like 50's+)

Ticket Price: $0 (I had a rewards ticket)

Concessions: small sprite, small popcorn ($10.25)

TRAILERS:

Skyfall - cool trailer, but calm reaction.

Zero Dark Thirty - a 9/11 feature about killing Osama Bin Laden directed by JC's ex-wife? I'm not interested, and neither was the audience.

Trouble With The Curve - trailer got some laughs from the audience, looks okay.

This is 40 - got an excellent reaction from audience; lots of laughing and talking afterwards... good to see the reception to this trailer from an older audience for a change.

Anna Karenina - why does Keira Knightly only seem to do period drama films now? Meh, no reaction... but it looks like it was shot in a cool way.

Hit and Run - this trailer sucked and got a pity laugh from some people, no reaction otherwise.

The Words - "Bradley Cooper again?" Waiting to see reviews on this film, but I have no faith in CBS Films.

THE FILM:

Meryl Streep's flawless.

Tommy Lee Jones holds his own.

Go see this movie.

Experience - 21/30

Story/Writing - 15/20

Acting - 13/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 10/15

Direction - 8/10

Music - 9/10 (*I loved the Annie Lennox song they squeezed in before the end... great mood-setter)

THE VERDICT: 76/100, B

-and-

Posted Image

The Campaign

10:30pm Saturday, August 11th

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 215 (95% full; I originally showed up for the 9:30pm but that was sold out as well. And best of all, the audience was a very good demographic mix)

Ticket Price: $12.00

Concessions: N/A

TRAILERS:

Silver Lining Playbills - great trailer and some talking, overall okay reaction.

Hit and Run - "Bradley Cooper Again?!" Good reaction and lots of laughing... this trailer was a little different from the other I saw today, and got a much warmer reception.

Fun Size - an awesome-looking, older-leaning raunchy comedy from "Nickelodeon Studios"?!?! It can't be!!! This looks way too awesome! And the crowd had a similarly awesome reaction to it.

Boom - looks stupid, but got an excellent reaction... so goes the Happy Madison routine.

Trouble With The Curve - this audience was certainly in the mood to laugh, gave a good reaction to this film (especially to the Dr. Phil line at the end).

Life of Pi - I've never read the book, but the trailer looks mesmerizing. I think there were whispers between every person in the theater after this trailer.

Argo - I'll watch anything Ben Affleck directs. This looks more mainstream and fun than some of Affleck's other movies, but got no reaction.

Finding Nemo 3D/"Please turn off your cell phones" Announcement - very clever, funny ad.

THE FILM:

Both candidates stink.

But that's usually the case.

Makes great comedy.

Experience - 24/30

Story/Writing - 16/20

Acting - 11/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 14/15 (a shot of Will Ferrell hitting a baby is amazingly put together)

Direction - 7/10

Music - 5/10

THE VERDICT: 77/100, B

Andy I was just thinking about you. I was just sitting thinking I needed to do a crowd report for Bourne Legacy and thought if only I could do a write up like Andy, lol. Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 2

Bourne Legacy1:40 pm500 seat theater-around 30 people.This is 40FlightLife of PiLes MisThe movie- The verdict is still out on this one. To say I'm a huge fan of the trilogy is an understatement.There was a lot going on in this movie. I guess if it wasn't supposed to be a Bourne film then I would have liked it better. But still I can't say it was a bad movie. So maybe I'll say a bad "Bourne" movie. There are certain things I expect in these movies and this film didn't have them at all.Based on reviews I didn't have the highest expectations but if a movie has Bourne in the title, I expect big things.

Edited by ECSTASY