Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

The Book of Life

November 13, 7:10 PM, 0.5% full (I was the only person there)

University Place 8, Carbondale, IL

Trailers

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water - arrived late, trailer was ending

Annie

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb

The Penguins of Madagascar

Movie was very enjoyable. I loved it. Can't really do a crowd report though :P

Dumb and Dumber To

November 14, 10:40 PM

Green Valley Galaxy Luxury Plus 10

Henderson, NV

50% full

Trailers:
Minions (some laughs)

Top Five (laughs)

Paul Blart 2 (zero laughs and my sister and I mocked it heavily)

Surprisingly that was it, as I'm guessing the theater didn't attach another trailer pack with it

Movie was actually not too bad. The first twenty minutes were awful and you could feel the crowd kind of feeling uneased, but it picked up and gave us some good laughs. Nothing explosively hysterical like 22 Jump Street, but this one did a fine service to the original. Girl who played the daughter character was a stand-out, and it was good seeing Carrey and Daniels again. It's a bit long but the feeling overall at the end was that most liked the film. I can see it having decent WOM, but Horrible Bosses 2 will destroy any momentum it'll ever have.

I'm cool with that because while this was fun, silly and cute I do not want a Dumb and Dumber 3 at all.

• Like 2

Birdman

November 15, 9:50 PM, 25% full

University Place 8, Carbondale, IL

Trailers

Foxcatcher

The Imitation Game

Top Five - laughs

Inherent Vice - laughs

Blackhat

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Wild

Movie was great. Audience laughed a lot but some idiot starting singing halfway through. Also, the lights didn't go off until five minutes after the movie had started :/

• Like 1

Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas

November 17, 5:20 PM, 10% full

Carbondale 8, Carbondale, IL

Trailers

Selma

Annie

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb - some laughs

Little Boy - best part of the whole experience, I was laughing hysterically

Hillsong: Let Hope Rise

I don't even know how to describe this. Like it's actually impossible

• Like 4

Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas

November 17, 5:20 PM, 10% full

Carbondale 8, Carbondale, IL

Trailers

Selma

Annie

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb - some laughs

Little Boy - best part of the whole experience, I was laughing hysterically

Hillsong: Let Hope Rise

I don't even know how to describe this. Like it's actually impossible

Nothing is impossible, just take a breathe and write it down.

• Like 1

whiplash-poster.jpg

Whiplash

9:45PM Thursday, December 4th
The Coolidge Theater
Theater Capacity: 12 (yes, twelve)... (sold out, although there was an empty seat in front of me, so officially 91.7% full... a bunch of students/couples in their mid 20's made up the audience, some of us struck up a conversation before pic started about other pics this season... it's been a great fall season so far)
Ticket Price: $7.25
Concessions: PB&Chocolate cookie, coffee, $6.50

TRAILERS:

The Imitation Game - same trailer I've seen, but it works and looks good. No reaction.

THE FILM:

Speechless. [okay, not speechless]

My jaw actually hurts from the multiple reactions it made as I watched Whiplash, with the most affecting movements coming from jaw-dropping scenes one least expects to come from a film about music school. But there you have it: against all odds a story about a music student (Miles Teller) striving for greatness and his ruthless, unforgiving, Machiavellian instructor (J.K. Simmons) might be the most powerful display I witnessed in theaters this year.

Don't get me wrong--I'm still giddy and defensive about the awesomeness that is Interstellar. It's just in a year that brought us a spaceship entering a black hole, soldiers performing a HALO jump into San Francisco, Spider-Man slinging a web down the chute of a clock tower, and Optimus Prime wielding an excalibur atop the back of a prehistoric dinobot, I think the most intense movie scene I witnessed all year was a teenage drummer and his instructor performing in on a stage in front of an audience.

J.K. Simmons has always been a welcome, complementary feature in the films he's worked on (especially for Jason Reitman). The veracity, shamelessness, and method with which Simmons performs here, however, is unprecedented. The only performances I would dare to compare this to are Meryl Streep's 'Miranda Priestly' in The Devil Wears Prada and R. Lee Ermey's 'Gunnery Sergeant Hartman' in Full Metal Jacket, but even these may be a disservice to how special it is. Miles Teller, on the other hand, makes a message very clear with this role: I'm a star and I'm here to stay. While other actors around his age like Robert Pattinson and Zac Efron have made a concerted effort to take on more serious film roles and get more respect from their peers, Miles Teller has actually succeeded in proving his abilities here with an award-worthy performance that aspiring artists will refer to for inspiration generations from now.

As an admitted jazz ignoramus, I was in love with the music here. The direction was exceptional. The story managed to be unpredictable and incredibly satiating. The audience engagement during this screening was awesome: there were clearly at least two drummers in the crowd because they were tapping along to the tempo of the pic as the two stars repeat it over and over (and over) again. Nothing but smiling faces, great reactions, and a lot of "Wows" or "Whoas" from the crowd when the movie ended. Just such a special picture.

Experience - 30/30
Story/Writing - 20/20
Acting - 15/15
Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 14/15
Directing - 10/10
Music - 10/10

THE VERDICT: 99/100, A+; a nearly flawless picture

(***And for the record, I know it seems I tend to LOVE the pictures I crowd report on. But I've actually seen 7 other pictures in the last month, most of which underwhelmed me, and I realize lately I've really only felt compelled to write crowd reports when I felt this good about a picture after watching it. With that said, I hope to be more active in writing crowd reports moving forward. I enjoy writing them as long as people enjoy reading them)

Likes, comments, shares, and feedback are always welcome. Thank you!
  • Like 3

St. Vincent

November 27, 7:45 PM, 3% full

Cinemark, Macedonia, OH

Trailers

Mortdecai - laughs

Big Eyes

Into the Woods

Top Five

The Wedding Ringer - laughs

The Imitation Game

Very enjoyable film. There was laughter at appropriate times and it was overall an enjoyable experience

Interstellar in IMAX

November 29, 6:10 PM, 45% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers

The Avengers: Age of Ultron

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Audience was kinda dead except for a few laughs. This guy behind me was explaining it to his mom the whole time though...

• Like 1

I hope you punched that guy in the face. I HATE morons like that! :angry:

Some lady was doing that behind me last summer - mind you her mother was hard of hearing & I finally turned around & yelled Shut the Hell Up & she did!!  Some people have absolutely no respect for others!!

• Like 1

Birdman

December 6th, 3:45PM

Crowd: 25%, mainly middle-aged couples.

Trailers:

Wild-no reaction (Mom's thoughts: "I think I want to read the book first.")

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel-some faint laughs (Mom's thoughts: "I thought this already came out.")

Inherent Vice-little whispers and a couple chuckles (Mom's thoughts: "This seems like a must-see! It's kind of like that Bradley Cooper 70s movie.")

I think Wild and Inherent Vice look entertaining, but I'm clearly not the target demographic for Marigold.

The crowd seemed to really like it. There were huge laughs at appropriate times, as well as a gasp here and there from Mama.

The movie was fantastic. The editing and direction are fantastic, and the acting is out of this world. Definitley a must-see.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 1

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb
December 20, 4:45 PM, 35% full

Trailers
Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 - some laughs
Minions - big laughs at the end but other than that, surprisingly subdued
Pan
The Peanuts Movie - murmurs afterwards

Plenty of laughs from kids, but rare from those older than 12. That said, everyone laughed at Robin Williams' last gag. Godspeed good man.
  • Like 1

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1
December 22, 4:40 PM, 15% full

Trailers
Cinderella
The Duff
Mortdecai
The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death
The Divergent Series: Insurgent

Better than I thought it'd be considering the response here. Audience was dead though, with a few laughs and gasps at appropriate points
  • Like 1

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies in HFR 3D
December 23, 1:15 PM, 15% full
Cinemark, Valparaiso, IN

Trailers
Terminator: Genisys
Kingsman: The Secret Service
The Divergent Series: Insurgent
The Walk
Jurassic World
Jupiter Ascending

The audience was utterly dead lol. Like surprisingly. There wasn't a reaction to anything except from me and my dad. *shrug*
  • Like 1

Big Hero 6

25/12/2014 2.30 PM
21Cineplex Kelapa Gading Jakarta 95% full (pretty small studio though)

Trailers:
Shaun the Sheep
Minions (including the Minions singing Christmas and New Year songs)

Movie:
OK movie. I like the action but the story is generic. Kids seemed to love Baymax very much. But kids in here are very annoying, I regret watching kids movie in Indonesia.

7/10

Edited by Geraldino

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

25/12/2014 5.55 PM
21Cineplex, Mall Kelapa Gading, Jakarta 75% full

Trailers:
CJR the movie (local movie about some lame boyband going to Sydney)
Minions singing Christmas and New Year songs (are they playing this in front of all movies ? this is going to be huge in Indonesia)

Movie:
Quite enjoyable. It's no LOTR but it's alright. Not much reaction from the audience. My sister, cousins and my cousin's girlfriend seemed to like it more than I do.

7/10

whiplash-poster.jpg

Whiplash

9:45PM Thursday, December 4th
The Coolidge Theater
Theater Capacity: 12 (yes, twelve)... (sold out, although there was an empty seat in front of me, so officially 91.7% full... a bunch of students/couples in their mid 20's made up the audience, some of us struck up a conversation before pic started about other pics this season... it's been a great fall season so far)
Ticket Price: $7.25
Concessions: PB&Chocolate cookie, coffee, $6.50

TRAILERS:

The Imitation Game - same trailer I've seen, but it works and looks good. No reaction.

THE FILM:

Speechless. [okay, not speechless]

My jaw actually hurts from the multiple reactions it made as I watched Whiplash, with the most affecting movements coming from jaw-dropping scenes one least expects to come from a film about music school. But there you have it: against all odds a story about a music student (Miles Teller) striving for greatness and his ruthless, unforgiving, Machiavellian instructor (J.K. Simmons) might be the most powerful display I witnessed in theaters this year.

Don't get me wrong--I'm still giddy and defensive about the awesomeness that is Interstellar. It's just in a year that brought us a spaceship entering a black hole, soldiers performing a HALO jump into San Francisco, Spider-Man slinging a web down the chute of a clock tower, and Optimus Prime wielding an excalibur atop the back of a prehistoric dinobot, I think the most intense movie scene I witnessed all year was a teenage drummer and his instructor performing in on a stage in front of an audience.

J.K. Simmons has always been a welcome, complementary feature in the films he's worked on (especially for Jason Reitman). The veracity, shamelessness, and method with which Simmons performs here, however, is unprecedented. The only performances I would dare to compare this to are Meryl Streep's 'Miranda Priestly' in The Devil Wears Prada and R. Lee Ermey's 'Gunnery Sergeant Hartman' in Full Metal Jacket, but even these may be a disservice to how special it is. Miles Teller, on the other hand, makes a message very clear with this role: I'm a star and I'm here to stay. While other actors around his age like Robert Pattinson and Zac Efron have made a concerted effort to take on more serious film roles and get more respect from their peers, Miles Teller has actually succeeded in proving his abilities here with an award-worthy performance that aspiring artists will refer to for inspiration generations from now.

As an admitted jazz ignoramus, I was in love with the music here. The direction was exceptional. The story managed to be unpredictable and incredibly satiating. The audience engagement during this screening was awesome: there were clearly at least two drummers in the crowd because they were tapping along to the tempo of the pic as the two stars repeat it over and over (and over) again. Nothing but smiling faces, great reactions, and a lot of "Wows" or "Whoas" from the crowd when the movie ended. Just such a special picture.

Experience - 30/30
Story/Writing - 20/20
Acting - 15/15
Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 14/15
Directing - 10/10
Music - 10/10

THE VERDICT: 99/100, A+; a nearly flawless picture

(***And for the record, I know it seems I tend to LOVE the pictures I crowd report on. But I've actually seen 7 other pictures in the last month, most of which underwhelmed me, and I realize lately I've really only felt compelled to write crowd reports when I felt this good about a picture after watching it. With that said, I hope to be more active in writing crowd reports moving forward. I enjoy writing them as long as people enjoy reading them)

Likes, comments, shares, and feedback are always welcome. Thank you!

Agree! This movie is nearly flawless and quite an engaging theater experience. I watched in a 300 capacity theater and we were only 5 but still it was a great experience

• Like 1

The Interview
December 27, 7:30 PM, 95% full

Trailers
The Wedding Ringer - murmurs, people weren't paying attention yet
Hot Tub Time Machine 2 - some brief laughs
Get Hard - lots of laughs

Some jokes hit, some didn't, but a lot of laughter throughout the whole film. Glad I got to see it with a crowd.