Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

3:50 PM-Not that crowded but this was not at the newer theater that is more crowded then the one I was at.

Trailers:Lucy-So tired of this trailer!

Gone Girl-Looks dark and depressing, well it is David Fincher.

Mokingjay 1-This amusing teaser is back.

Guardians-Laughs during this one.

Sin City 2-Forgot about this movie.

Exodus-Looks good, even if Bale looks miscasted in this (I still think Kingsley was great in the made for TV version from the 90s)

Movie: Pretty good. Though the opening is a bit slow. I really dislike Koba, that is one memorable villain! The music was great also. Some amusing moments also in the film. And I actually think I have determined the 3rd movies title!

I give this a A- for now.

Edited by Impact
  • Like 3

Wow, you had the same situation I did - Home got more laughs than Penguins. This is why I'm cautiously optimistic about Home.

And did they run the Begin Again trailer TWICE?

Nah, that was a typo

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes in 3-D

July 14, 4:20 PM, 15% full

Cinemark, Valparaiso, IN

Trailers - no reactions, so I'll give you my friends' reactions

The Judge - "ooh, that looks good. I love RDJ and Vera Famiga"

Gone Girl - "that looks awesome too."

Hercules 3D cell phone ad - "oh god no"

Hercules 3D - "that movie looks spectacularly shitty"

Guardians of the Galaxy 3D - "Yeah, I think I will go see it with you at the premiere."

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For 3D - "I liked the first one."

Exodus: Gods and Kings 3D - "Won't beat the Prince of Egypt, but still looks good"

Excellent movie. Crowd kinda sucked with people laughing at not funny stuff. Still, one of the best movies of the summer.

Snowpiercer

July 16, 2:15 PM, 10% full

AMC Showplace 14, Michigan City, IN

Trailers - no reactions

Kill the Messenger

I Origins

A Most Wanted Man

The Giver

The Purge: Anarchy

The Expendables 3

Fantastic movie. Audience was practically nonexistent, but pretty good for the time for a movie with so little marketing.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

23/07/2014 3.50 PM

Hoyts Melbourne Central 25% full

Trailers:

TMNT

Guardians of the Galaxy

Into the Storm

Hercules

Maze Runner

Movie:

Another good quality summer movie (it's winter in Melbourne though :P). I think Dawn is better than Rise

8/10

Edited by Geraldino
  • Like 2

It has been a while... I've seen a lot this summer, but been busy. Anyway, enjoy:

Posted Image

Snowpiercer

7:00PM Wednesday, July 23rd

Coolidge Theater

Theater Capacity: 440 (15% full... honestly, not a bad turnout for a Wednesday evening in summer. Mixed audience, not especially older)

Ticket Price: $11.00

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS:

A Most Wanted Man - great cast, but kind of long, uninteresting trailer. Weak reaction.

Calvary - looks like a great dark comedy... either that, or I completely misread the trailer. Okay crowd reaction

THE FILM:

Tonight was one of those increasingly rare instances where I went to see this movie with almost no knowledge of who the stars were, what it was about, and what the critics thought. I just assumed it must be good because The Coolidge theater was playing it and because at least a couple friends had encouraged me to watch. As it turned out, Snowpiercer is one of the most interesting and thought-provoking films I've seen all year. For a story as confined to its surroundings as this one is--completely taking place on a train circumnavigating the globe--Snowpiercer is surprisingly broad in its ideas and boundless in its creativity.

Chris Evans stars as the methodical steerage passenger aboard the back of the titular snow-piercing train in a post-apocalyptic Earth covered in snow and ice. It's hard to compare with his performance in this year's Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but based on these two roles I think Chris Evans has mastered both the physical prowess and emotional stability that make for a worthy movie hero. Although he's the central character and has no shortage of memorable supporting stars, it is Tilda Swinton who stole each of her moments on-screen and really impressed considering how uncharacteristic the role was (who knew she could be so funny?!).

Considering Snowpiercer was more or less an independent film (I think), I was very satisfied with the special effects employed to believably create the world on this train and the frozen world around it. A long list of unforgettable shots and stunning set designs are outweighed only by the sociologically compelling story the film explores. I've since spoken to a few people about the film: one person compared it to The Hunger Games; and another compared it to The Fifth Element. All things considered, I actually think the Fifth Element comparison is pretty spot-on, even though the subjects are so otherwise different, and this film is arguably further evolved. I really enjoyed this, as did the person I watched with. There wasn't applause or anything when the film ended, but it's hardly the kind of movie you'd expect applause from at the end either. I certainly hope more people watch this than the box office so far would indicate. It's one of the only interesting movies playing in theaters right now.

Experience - 29/30

Story/Writing - 20/20

Acting - 14/15 (I wouldn't be surprised if Tilda Swinton gets awards buzz for this)

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 13/15

Directing - 10/10

Music - 9/10

THE VERDICT: 95/100, A+

Comments, likes, shares, and feedback are always appreciated. Thank you!

• Like 7

Begin Again

July 24, 4:05 PM, 25% full

AMC Showplace 14, Michigan City, IN

Trailers - no reactions

Magic in the Moonlight

The Hundred-Foot Journey

Wild

St. Vincent

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby

Movie was alright, I guess. Audience murmured a bit to themselves. Everyone stayed to the end of the credits

Lucy

July 24, 8:00PM, 65-70% Full

Trailers:

50 Shades of Grey (quite bit of murmuring and a few quiet chuckles)

Dracula Untold

Interstellar

November Man

The Movie:No clue at what I just watched. It's as if Luc Besson tried channeling Darren Aronofsky or something.

• Like 1

Guardians of the Galaxy in IMAX 3D

July 31, 10:00 PM, 85% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers

Interstellar - "whoas" and six people (including me) applauded at the end

Dracula Untold - no reaction

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - no reaction

Some guy came out and introduced the movie. Everyone cheered, except me, since I'm an asshole. Instead I shouted "SHOW THE INTERSTELLAR TRAILER AGAIN" :P

So good. Tons of laughter throughout the whole movie. Fuck children though. Everyone applauded at the end, and only two people left before the end of the credits

• Like 1

Just saw GalaxyReview will be later.But I did love it.

Well the theater was not as crowded-but there was a flash flood warning around town (Yeah we finally had rain) and as I said before this theater is not as crowded as it use to be.

Trailers:

Maze Runner: I think I saw the entire movie in this trailer-felt almost as long as a trailer from the 60s/70s! (And felt like a THG ripoff)

Interstellar: Looks pretty good.

MJ1: Every time I've seen a trailer its a different teaser! Some talking.

Into the Woods: Actually does not look that bad. Some ladies were saying something.

Big Hero 6: Quite a bit of laughs.

Hobbit 3: Looks great, some ladies in front of me were saying "Yay want to see that"

Movie: Very good. The opening was actually quite emotional for a Marvel film. The visuals were great and I really enjoyed Groot and Rocket. If you said I would of loved this a year ago I think you were crazy. Quite fun as well.And the end credits scene....OH MY GOSH. The entire audience was going....well..........yeah! They were amazed.

A-

• Like 1

Guardians of the Galaxy

August 2, 6:45 PM, 75% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers

Alexander and the Long Title, Motherfucker! - Some laughs

Big Hero 6 - laughs

The Maze Runner - no reaction

Dumb and Dumber To - laughs

Some guy came out and introduced the movie. Unusual

Not as active as the midnight audience but still okay. Lots of laughs throughout. No applause at the end. About half the theater stayed to the end credits

Boyhood

August 4, 7:45 PM, 5% full

Orland Park Cinema, Orland Park, IL

Trailers - no reactions

Hector and the Search for Happiness

This Is Where I Leave You

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby

Birdman

What If cell phone ad

Some laughs throughout the movie. That's about it for the small crowd.

• Like 1