eddyxx

Fantastic Four | Marvel Studios | July 25, 2025 | Matt Shakman directs

6 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Pretty amazing that this is releasing in November and not summer. I bet this has another release date change.

I would take that bet. I think this date is happening. 

The only way I see this not happening is if the VFX companies or houses somehow...riot. I guess. 

44 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

You know 2 persons that would be a great choice if they are aiming high....George Miller and Matthew Vaughn. Both know their vfx, animation, comedy and action. 

Miller no way, he's not getting any younger and he's busy with Furiosa, set to release in 2024. He's not getting in the superhero business this late in his career.

Matthew Vaugh doesn't really get me excited but that's plausible.

Here is one A-lister that has not been mentioned (if we're dreaming): Guillermo Del Toro

Very versatile filmmaker and he has definitely played that field, he could direct an MCU movie with his eyes closed

14 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

You know 2 persons that would be a great choice if they are aiming high....George Miller and Matthew Vaughn. Both know their vfx, animation, comedy and action. 

Both would work but I think the russos are directing this.

5 minutes ago, Claudio said:

I think Peyton Reed is gonna direct this one.

I have doubts about Reed; the Ant Man films were enjoyable but hardly among the most creative of the Marvel movies, I am hoping for something better with the Fantastic Four.

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I have doubts about Reed; the Ant Man films were enjoyable but hardly among the most creative of the Marvel movies, I am hoping for something better with the Fantastic Four.

Yeah, I struggle to see Marvel shooting for Spielberg... only to settle for Reed. And I like the Ant-man films a lot but it just sounds like they want a star director for this. 

Granted, there aren't that many who are available right now and interested in doing this I suppose. 

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I'm all for a legit director doing justice to F4 if given real liberty... but I truly doubt it despite the rumors

And the last time directors were given more than average control (Raimi, Taika, Zhao), the results were bad

Only Gunn has managed to get away with identity

Ron Howard is the other name that gets floated around in that he is a famous A-list director but he doesn't really have much of a distinct style and can be a journeyman as well. Thirteen Lives sounds like its perfectly functional but nothing special. On the other hand, I have no idea if he has any passion or interest in this? James Gunn seems to have thrived in the comic book movie genre because he's pretty serious about the material whereas I never got the feeling Zhao and Waititi cared all that much about the source material. 

I would assume that if the plan was for Peyton Reed to direct, we would’ve heard that by now. I guess it’s possible that they’re waiting until Ant-Man 3 is released, but that would be cutting it pretty close.  If they want to stick with the current release date, they’ll need to announce the director before the end of the year. 

2 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Ron Howard is the other name that gets floated around in that he is a famous A-list director but he doesn't really have much of a distinct style and can be a journeyman as well. Thirteen Lives sounds like its perfectly functional but nothing special. On the other hand, I have no idea if he has any passion or interest in this? James Gunn seems to have thrived in the comic book movie genre because he's pretty serious about the material whereas I never got the feeling Zhao and Waititi cared all that much about the source material. 

Howard is just not what he was a few years ago after the double whammy of what happneed with Solo and the fiasco of Hillbilly Eulogy 

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I would assume that if the plan was for Peyton Reed to direct, we would’ve heard that by now. I guess it’s possible that they’re waiting until Ant-Man 3 is released, but that would be cutting it pretty close.  If they want to stick with the current release date, they’ll need to announce the director before the end of the year. 

Reed;s not getting the nod for Avengers I think lessens the chances he will get this.

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I'm all for a legit director doing justice to F4 if given real liberty... but I truly doubt it despite the rumors

And the last time directors were given more than average control (Raimi, Taika, Zhao), the results were bad

Only Gunn has managed to get away with identity

ZHao's 'The Eternals" was the only one that was an out and out flop.

Madness and Love And Thunder did just fine at the box office. IMHO fan's expectations for them were really unrealistic.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Howard is just not what he was a few years ago after the double whammy of what happneed with Solo and the fiasco of Hillbilly Eulogy 

13 Lives is getting decent reviews though, not spectacular but pretty good? I can't really imagine anyone blames HIM for Solo either, he was just there to clean up a disaster zone. Hillbilly Elegy is a disaster but it's not like other MCU directors don't have their share of absolute critical bombs (Cherry, Glass Castle, James Gunn has loads of pre-Marvel stinkers). 

I think if you're looking for an A-lister with a great critical track record outside of blockbusters.. the list just very short. 

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Madness and Love And Thunder did just fine at the box office. IMHO fan's expectations for them were really unrealistic.

I agree that MoM isn't bad and just a bit messy in a way that's kind of typical of Raimi sometimes (the man did make Spiderman 3 after all) but L&T is Waititi's worst reviewed project of any kind he's written, produced, directed or starred in... since Green Lantern lol. 

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Thor 4 is one of the worst reviewed MCU films and will make barely anything in profit lol

51 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

13 Lives is getting decent reviews though, not spectacular but pretty good? I can't really imagine anyone blames HIM for Solo either, he was just there to clean up a disaster zone. Hillbilly Elegy is a disaster but it's not like other MCU directors don't have their share of absolute critical bombs (Cherry, Glass Castle, James Gunn has loads of pre-Marvel stinkers). 

I think if you're looking for an A-lister with a great critical track record outside of blockbusters.. the list just very short. 

The real embrassment with Hillbilly Elegy is the film made a hero out of guy..J D Vance... who has turned out to be a bigoted, right wing nutjob . I ma sure Howard winces everytime he see Vance in his Senate Campaign.