sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Other studios should just churn out remakes of their old cartoons too.

Yes, please. Exactly.

Give me live action remakes of Non-Disney animated films (especially

those that got mixed/average RT-reception), please? 🙍🏻‍♀️

A better-received live action remake of 1998’s ”Quest for Camelot” by Warner Bros. Or even better yet...a better received live action remake of 1994’s ”The Swan Princess” by Sony.

I would love for a live action TSP-remake. Why make me wait so long, Hollywood? 🙎🏻‍♀️🙍🏻‍♀️

Wanna hear my pitch of how the TSP-remake would be and the casting?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 2

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Yeah. Critics loathed and many hated it. Others absolutely loved it. I strongly disliked it the first time, but came around on the 2nd and 3rd viewing. Villain still sucks as does much of the supporting cast.

While I loved it the first time I watched, and still love it now, I have to agree that (mostly) everyone outside of Tom Hardy/Venom sucked. He definitely carried the film, but the actor playing the doctor/boyfriend held his own as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

While I loved it the first time I watched, and still love it now, I have to agree that (mostly) everyone outside of Tom Hardy/Venom sucked. He definitely carried the film, but the actor playing the doctor/boyfriend held his own as well.

I agree 100%. I was too critical and focused on the ancillary parts of the movie. The meat of the film (Venom and Hardy) are great. Which bodes well for the sequel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

The fact that lots of people bought a movie ticket does not mean lots of people liked the movie.

Venom was loved not liked by the Chinese audience. In the USA it had a pretty good audience rating despite the critical reviews. Even the negative reviews often said things like this is movie is fun but stupid. Funny thing is this describes so many movies with good reviews.

2 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Venom was loved not liked by the Chinese audience. In the USA it had a pretty good audience rating despite the critical reviews. Even the negative reviews often said things like this is movie is fun but stupid. Funny thing is this describes so many movies with good reviews.

Yes, exactly, it had "pretty good audience rating", so it was not divisive.
US is a divisive film, lots of audience hated it an dlots of audience loved it. Same for something like the new film MIDSOMMAR.

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I thought you just implied that if the GA loves something then that automatically invalidates people's opinions about anything.  So, for example, I say "Transformers: Dark of the Moon is a bad movie," and you can respond with "actually the people loved it so you're wrong."  This is how film discussion works now apparently

Lol No. The point is, if you're looking for why Disney remakes are successful then look at their reception among the GA. Doesn't matter if you, or I, or anyone else personally think they suck. They resonate with the audience, at large, and that *is* ultimately what matters. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

Just now, Avatree said:

Yes, exactly, it had "pretty good audience rating", so it was not divisive.
US is a divisive film, lots of audience hated it an dlots of audience loved it. Same for something like the new film MIDSOMMAR.

Divisive in the sense that critics acted liked it was the worst film ever and those who didn't like in the GA hated it.

It's like it had a couple great awesome elements bundled with a lot of crap. Some got hung up initially on the crap (me) and others appreciated the best parts. I haven't seen US so I'm curious to see what I think about it.