sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I found out about the E grade according to an article:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/why-there-is-no-e-grade-2014-9

In the 1930s, as the letter-based grading system grew more and more popular, many schools began omitting E in fear that students and parents may misinterpret it as standing for “excellent.” Thus resulting in the A, B, C, D, and F grading system. According to mentalfloss.com, “Recent surveys show that letter grades are [now] the most common grades used in elementary and secondary schools and two- and four-year colleges and universities.”

Wow, I was actually right, Ameritards think letter ratings stand for words. Amazing.

• Knock It Off 7

1 minute ago, DAR said:

You have to like the movies I like and dislike the one's I dislike.  There can be no middle ground or difference of opinions.

Jeez, such a hardline intolerant stance. I am much more accepting.   

People are allowed to like or be neutral towards movies I like, dislike or be neutral toward movies I dislike, and feel however they want about movies I don’t care about. Why that’s like a full 78% of the possibility space that I’m allowing them, and somehow so many people here still manage to get it so wrong :sadno:

If some of you haven't read this, you should read this:

http://collider.com/cinemascore-explained

Interesting notes from the article: 

1: the ballot is janky

2: they only go out on opening night

3: the letter grade is often applying just as much to the CONSUMER as it is the film. 

4: the results are most often useful for the studios in terms of fine-tuning marketing, not making better films.

That CinemaScore is paid attention to at all by people has never really made any sense considering those 4 things.... and yet it's become a knee-jerk part of analysis and box-office reporting, even though it barely belongs in the conversation.... Sort of like how everyone knee-jerk goes "but but but ADJUSTED FOR INFLATION" because someone once pulled that bad boy out in a fight when they realized some movie they didn't like made more money than the one they did, and then everybody kept doing it...

CinemaScore only samples from people so eager to see a movie they'll go opening night, it only samples from a tiny number of them, the ballot they're asked to fill out is pretty janky, and in most cases (quoting from the article here)....

It’s also worth noting that most movies land somewhere in the A to B+ range, which makes sense. Most marketing isn’t deceptive, and studios go to great lengths to pre-sell a movie whether it’s through stars people like, popular source material, or playing up the strongest aspects of the film. Rarely do people feel “cheated”, but more than that, they don’t want to admit that they were duped. You’ve already paid for your ticket and so a film really has to rub people the wrong way to get anything lower than a “B”.

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

Jeez, such a hardline intolerant stance. I am much more accepting.   

People are allowed to like or be neutral towards movies I like, dislike or be neutral toward movies I dislike, and feel however they want about movies I don’t care about. Why that’s like a full 78% of the possibility space that I’m allowing them, and somehow so many people here still manage to get it so wrong :sadno:

Ummm.........

Spoiler

I was being facetious

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Do you guys consider C a negative score?

C is positive in my eyes?

Absolutely for cinemascore C is horrible. In general yes C is almost failing.

No idea how reliable it is. I'll wait to see how the OW goes and the legs. I have zero desire to wish for failure for any film even ones I don't like. I think with Lion King failing to live up to expectations this movie will do just fine legs wise. Great legs who knows.

Edited by cdsacken

SM: Far from Home beat SM: Homecoming’s $334M DOM-gross, despite it’s 3-day opening ($92M) being lower than it’s predecessor ($117M).

Shame that Homecoming couldn’t do $350M or more despite being the most well-received live action SM-movie in a long while since Raimi’s SM2.

8 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I found out about the E grade according to an article:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/why-there-is-no-e-grade-2014-9

In the 1930s, as the letter-based grading system grew more and more popular, many schools began omitting E in fear that students and parents may misinterpret it as standing for “excellent.” Thus resulting in the A, B, C, D, and F grading system. According to mentalfloss.com, “Recent surveys show that letter grades are [now] the most common grades used in elementary and secondary schools and two- and four-year colleges and universities.”

And what, if they thought A was for Abysmal? 

• Haha 1

I'm sorry but it's hilarious how this thread started with talk of cinema being saved and Hollywood's OW reaching 50M and here we are now with a B cinemascore and an OW that would be lucky to reach 45M. 

I like Brad, Leo and enjoy some Tarantino movies but the overhyping is too much. 

I guess we'll have to wait for Nolan to "save cinema" after all.

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 3

Just now, Davidwested said:

Cinemascores tend to be harsher on R rated movies. So that B score is pretty normal

With getting older, you get more critical.
I thing viewers grew with Tarantino, I don't think, that he could win over new generations like he was able to in the 90s. Generations move on. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I'm sorry but it's hilarious how this thread started with talk of cinema being save and Hollywood's OW reaching 50M and here we are now with a B cinemascore and an OW that would be lucky to reach 45M. 

I like Brad, Leo and enjoy some Tarantino movies but the overhyping is too much. 

I guess we'll have to wait for Nolan to "save cinema" after all.

We need to wait for real, original films like Todd Phillips' Joker to save cinema now. Being that it's not based on any comics and all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1