cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

The “no promotion” thing was cool and righteous in theory but I’m pretty sure it ultimately hurt the film, right? It didn’t impact opening weekend but it was a self-defeating notion and the movie never sustained momentum.

I’ve seen mixed word of mouth proposed as the culprit, but the bigger issue is that a media blackout like that — the effect of which was that well-meaning people don’t even want to talk about the movie’s details because they don’t want to spoil it — kind of prevents word of mouth at all. People online were essentially discouraged from even talking about it, which is just not compatible with how folks consume media in 2023. I love the alleged* principle behind it but i don’t think it was ever gonna work. But I’m not in Japan so what do I know? Nothing!

*I think the real reason was just they didn’t want to spend the money and effort on behalf of a mostly-shuttered studio with no promotional infrastructure. 

Edited by MisterLibby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

No, it won't. But I do wonder how well the movie will do. $20 million DOM maybe.

$20m is the target but given that the movie didn't do very well in Japan and there is still some correlation between performance at the home country and abroad,$20m is on the high side.

Initial review is through the roof. 9.5/10 average rating and 10/10 for top critics. 

5 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Really just goes to show that a lot of people are really just projecting their own feelings and thoughts and imaginations into everything Hayao Miyazaki does or puts in his movies. People said the whole movie was a metaphor of how Studio Ghibli the empire is crumbling/ending or about how Miyazaki failed to find an heir (Was this even a mission tbh? Ghibli started out as just a passion project that just blew up and became the Disney of Japan), that the whole "no marketing" thing was Miyazaki's way of giving the "middle finger to the industry" when it wasn't even his decision, etc.

It's crazy.

I'm really hoping and praying Miyazaki lives for 10 or more years cause I'm really excited what he'll do with fresh new ideas since this new movie has been described as too self-referential to past Ghibli works but at least he got that out of his system now.

1 hour ago, Royce said:

Really just goes to show that a lot of people are really just projecting their own feelings and thoughts and imaginations into everything Hayao Miyazaki does or puts in his movies.

1 hour ago, Royce said:

I'm really hoping and praying Miyazaki lives for 10 or more years cause I'm really excited what he'll do with fresh new ideas since this new movie has been described as too self-referential to past Ghibli works but at least he got that out of his system now.

aren't these competing viewpoints? You're saying people are projecting their own feelings on his films... then you go on to say you're glad he got it out of his system? Aren't you projecting?

3 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

aren't these competing viewpoints? You're saying people are projecting their own feelings on his films... then you go on to say you're glad he got it out of his system? Aren't you projecting?

By saying I'm glad he expressed what he wanted to express? I'm confused

And I was talking more about all the theories about what the ending of the movie symbolized/represented and people acting like their theories are unchangeable fact when it's not

Anyway, Suzuki now knows what happens when you don't market a movie, I wonder if he'll do the same thing for the next film