cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

The trailer is still on the trending page on YouTube.

The Studio Ghibli catalog coming to streaming services during the lockdowns really did wonders for the brand. There's so many new younger fans on social media especially TikTok and Instagram making fan arts, edits, clips, etc.

TBATH may not match TWR domestic but I think it will be bigger than it overseas and WW. Especially since it has that Miyazaki brand of "confusing" fever dream fantasy spectacle that is unique to him only and it also appeals to the "Bring REAL cinema back!!!" sentiment that's currently rising these days. Oh right and there's an actual trailer. The newer overseas fans are really curious about this movie.

That teaser alone should win awards, my hype is unbearable. Yeah, if that teaser is anything to go by, no marketing in Japan was a HUGE mistake. it looks like there is so much intrigue to this film to pull people in if they had marketed it there. 

And if it critical reception stays this strong, BP nom is happening unless it ends up a crazy competitive race this year. But we already have stuff like Dune that has moved out. Miyazaki is just too much of an icon in the West now since he “retired” a decade ago. A movie with the critical reception of his classics in 2023 is going to get him massive awards attention here: 

4 hours ago, Royce said:

The trailer is still on the trending page on YouTube.

The Studio Ghibli catalog coming to streaming services during the lockdowns really did wonders for the brand. There's so many new younger fans on social media especially TikTok and Instagram making fan arts, edits, clips, etc.

TBATH may not match TWR domestic but I think it will be bigger than it overseas and WW. Especially since it has that Miyazaki brand of "confusing" fever dream fantasy spectacle that is unique to him only and it also appeals to the "Bring REAL cinema back!!!" sentiment that's currently rising these days. Oh right and there's an actual trailer. The newer overseas fans are really curious about this movie.

Oh it’s gonna destroy TWR DOM. For starters, as I’ve said, Miyazaki simply was not the legend and icon to Americans ten years ago that he is today. The last decade has done wonders for Ghibli and his relevance in the states.

And beyond that, as I’ve also said before, TWR never felt that much like a Miyazaki movie. It was missing the high fantasy he’s known for. This teaser instantly lets you know this is Miyazaki in classic form, and that’s gonna be a huge draw for all his fans. I honestly think 50 DOM could happen if audiences agree with critical reception. Maybe even more if the Oscar buzz is high. 

Edited by MovieMan89

32 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Oh it’s gonna destroy TWR DOM. For starters, as I’ve said, Miyazaki simply was not the legend and icon to Americans ten years ago that he is today. The last decade has done wonders for Ghibli and his relevance in the states.

And beyond that, as I’ve also said before, TWR never felt that much like a Miyazaki movie. It was missing the high fantasy he’s known for. This teaser instantly lets you know this is Miyazaki in classic form, and that’s gonna be a huge draw for all his fans. I honestly think 50 DOM could happen if audiences agree with critical reception. Maybe even more if the Oscar buzz is high. 

$50m DOM??? That's almost as much as it did in Japan.

I think the ceiling is $25-30m.

Original Anime films whether Miyazaki, Shinkai, etc. don't do as much as big franchises like DS or JJK do stateside. If they had made the last chunk of SNK into a movie instead of 2 "special presentations" it would do $100m DOM imo. But it's a tougher bridge to climb for originals.

7 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

$50m DOM??? That's almost as much as it did in Japan.

I think the ceiling is $25-30m.

Original Anime films whether Miyazaki, Shinkai, etc. don't do as much as big franchises like DS or JJK do stateside. If they had made the last chunk of SNK into a movie instead of 2 "special presentations" it would do $100m DOM imo. But it's a tougher bridge to climb for originals.

We have never seen what Miyazaki can do in the modern era DOM though. I maintain his status is on a whole other level here now vs when he used to make movies. Not to mention Ponyo was the last classic fantasy Miyazaki film. All the way back to Howl if we want to talk about his epic fantasies he’s most known for. This can definitely muster up Demon Slayer Mugen Train level interest DOM if the reception is this great imo. 

Ponyo also adjust to about 30m DOM if we factor in inflation and PLF. TWR is not a good gauge here because it never felt like Miyazaki doing what Miyazaki is known for. It is an animated biopic for starters, instantly putting a cap on how well it was gonna do. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Dec 8 is a good choice by GKIDS. I always blame GKIDS for the Belle, YN and WwY snub due to wrong release date. Without a proper release before Oscar nomination ballot is NO NO, especially in this streaming era where Netflix's dominance in this field is getting stronger.   

Hope this mark a strong come back for GKIDS post-Covid in term of award prospects.  

All of Miyazaki’s masterpieces are movies I needed to see more than once to truly appreciate. Even Totoro, despite its seeming simplicity on the surface. The fact that it seems many people are coming away from an initial viewing saying they need another one is the best thing I could hope to hear for this legitimately being another masterpiece from him for me. TWR never demanded a repeat viewing for me.  

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 4:37 PM, MovieMan89 said:

We have never seen what Miyazaki can do in the modern era DOM though. I maintain his status is on a whole other level here now vs when he used to make movies. Not to mention Ponyo was the last classic fantasy Miyazaki film. All the way back to Howl if we want to talk about his epic fantasies he’s most known for. This can definitely muster up Demon Slayer Mugen Train level interest DOM if the reception is this great imo. 

Ponyo also adjust to about 30m DOM if we factor in inflation and PLF. TWR is not a good gauge here because it never felt like Miyazaki doing what Miyazaki is known for. It is an animated biopic for starters, instantly putting a cap on how well it was gonna do. 

All of the highest grossing anime movies domestic are the biggest IP’s Japan has produced and have 20 year long running anime or like 100M+ manga volumes sold. Pokémon, Yugioh, Dragonball, Jujutsu Kaisen etc. Not to mention this is also all action adventure stuff that naturally draws a bigger crowd as it’s more easily accessible.

Heron did $50M in Japan and His box office has been 80% Japan heavy his entire career.

Original artsy anime film is not touching $50M DOM.

Edited by Valencia