cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

49 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

RE: ZeroHour And Spirited proved Miyazaki was one of the only truly respected animated filmmakers among circles like the Academy two decades ago already. With anime no less, something that would have been totally scoffed at by your Academy types back then. If that’s not a darling of the medium, I don’t know what is. This movie is on TS3 level western critical reception, that’s insane considering what it took for that movie to achieve that (a deep level of being rooted in our pop culture and decades of culmination to a story). There is no more respected filmmaker in animation today than Miyazaki, it’s that simple. 

Because it won best animated feature? Yes, that was impressive and Miyazaki is widely respected (but not an academy darling, he hasn't had a win in the category since), but that film didn't get a BP nomination either (different world obviously since that was back when there were only 5 slots). That was also with John Lasseter and the Disney machine at that point supporting it which The Boy and the Heron doesn't have. It could win best animated feature but it's not even a shoo-in for that award. To the Academy, the most respected animated filmmaker in the world is always going to mean less than a respected live-action director who does the occasional animated film. It's unfair but it's one of the Academy's many blind spots.

• Like 1

Every Miyazaki movie has been nominated for Animated feature since the category’s creation. I think over half of the anime movies to ever even get in there are his, for further context. Again, it’s hard to imagine a singular animated filmmaker with a bigger rep of respect. Lasseter could have maybe commanded that level with the Academy with a present day raved about Pixar film, but we all know what happened there. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

The best case scenario is this film winning Best Animated Picture. There's no way it gets nominated for Best Picture.

The most likely case? Mario wins. I just don't see Spidey winning due to the film's lack of an ending, and I don't see Elemental winning, because Disney has too much baggage this year for many folks.

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 2

21 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

The best case scenario is this film winning Best Animated Picture. There's no way it gets nominated for Best Picture.

The most likely case? Mario wins. I just don't see Spidey winning due to the film's lack of an ending, and I don't see Elemental winning, because Disney has too much baggage this year for many folks.

I don't even expect Mario to be nominated.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Even worse take then that guy who said Elemental was going to win.

Edited by Valencia
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Spidey has made it to the AFI Yearly Top 10 list and received a BEST PICTURE (not just Animated) nomination at Astra (formerly Hollywood Critics Association). It's also getting buzz for a Screenplay nomination. It's not losing to Mario lol. Maybe TBatH but not Mario.

9 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Every Miyazaki movie has been nominated for Animated feature since the category’s creation. I think over half of the anime movies to ever even get in there are his, for further context. Again, it’s hard to imagine a singular animated filmmaker with a bigger rep of respect. Lasseter could have maybe commanded that level with the Academy with a present day raved about Pixar film, but we all know what happened there. 

Not over half if we are considering all of Ghibli, not just Miyazaki. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, When Marnie Was There and The Red Turtle aren't Miyazaki.

10 hours ago, harrisonisdead said:

I don't even expect Mario to be nominated.

Yeah, Mario isn’t in the hyped for a nomination let alone win. Even the year when Oscar picked a less winner like the brave or big hero 6, at least they are certified fresh. I have never seen academy pick a rotten movie for the win. 

Edited by titanic2187

15 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Not over half if we are considering all of Ghibli, not just Miyazaki. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, When Marnie Was There and The Red Turtle aren't Miyazaki.

Well yeah but I think Mirai is the only other anime to be nommed (how Your Name and Belle both missed is a testament to the Academy mostly not being willing to consider anime). I also wouldn’t consider Turtle an anime since the Ghibli part of the collab feels pretty minimal.

So basically you have Mirai, 2 Ghibli films and then all Miyazaki in that category’s history. It’s far from a reach either to say Marnie and Kaguya only got taken seriously because of being Ghibli thanks to Miyazaki association. So that leaves Mirai as kind of the lone exception in the category not tied to Miyazaki’s respect with the Academy. Clearly he has a huge rep with the Academy that overshadows most anime stigmas. 

Edited by MovieMan89

15 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Spidey has made it to the AFI Yearly Top 10 list and received a BEST PICTURE (not just Animated) nomination at Astra (formerly Hollywood Critics Association). It's also getting buzz for a Screenplay nomination. It's not losing to Mario lol. Maybe TBatH but not Mario.

Yeah, you're right. It's getting a lot of positive heat. It could win best Animated Feature. Still don't think TBatH has a chance to win.