cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

I spent a lot of it like "this is cool but where are they going with this". but then I thought it tied together and reached an emotional apex. some of his movies show you a cool fantasy world and then just go like "ok time to go bye" at the end. didn't feel that here.

I'll be honest this is exactly how I felt about the ending. It felt pretty abrupt but so do most of his endings so that didn't really bother me.

This is the least I've "gotten" one of his movies but I still thought it was pretty good. From the time they get to the fantasy world onwards I was having a hard time understanding what the characters motivations were and why certain things were happening. You get an explanation for some of it at the end and more understanding of the boy, but it never really connected with me emotionally. Absolutely loved it on a visual level, by far the most gorgeous film of the year, no question. 

Oh and the Warawawa scene was incredible.

Edited by MOVIEGUY

Absolutely wonderful. Joyous, heartfelt, gorgeous, I could empty a thesaurus praising this. Not seeing this in theaters if you can should be a crime against humanity. Or at least parakeet-manity. I think Totoro is still my No. 1 but damn it’s close and it’s not at all settled in my mind. 10/10.

• Like 3

On 12/21/2023 at 5:03 PM, Issac Newton said:

I post numbers in local currency you have probably mixed HK$ with USD

HK$4,587,978 ~ $590K. WOM isn't good 3.6 in HKMovie. I doubt it would leg out like Suzume. Probably HK$20M is the highest I am expecting now ~ $2.6M

Suzume - HK$8,190,849 (Final - HK$30.6M)

SLAM DUNK - HK$14,285,236 (Final - HK$44.01M)

SLAM DUNK had HK$2,048,878 Previews 

HK$15M seems like more likely

HK$12,002,128 upto Monday.

• Like 1

Italy

€843.325 / 107.898 admits OD (incl. previews of €6.048 / 512 admits) at 349 Theatres.

Performance is better than Spain (€1.4M/208K admits) just next to France!

Studio Ghibli Films

• Spirited Away - €1,522,521 / 254,976 admits
  • Howl's Moving Castle - €1,074,232 / 185,653 admits
  • Ponyo - €976,073 / 168,760 admits
  • The Wind Rises - €1,177,357 / 146,968 admits
  • Castle in the Sky - 132,076 admits
  • Kiki's Delivery Service - 127,044 admits
  • Princess Mononoke - 122,458 admits

Recent Anime

• Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 - €1,109,214 / 117,010 admits
  • One Piece: Film Red - €974,812 / 131,498 admits
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Italy

€843.325 / 107.898 admits OD (incl. previews of €6.048 / 512 admits) at 349 Theatres.

Performance is better than Spain (€1.4M/208K admits) just next to France!

Studio Ghibli Films

• Spirited Away - €1,522,521 / 254,976 admits
  • Howl's Moving Castle - €1,074,232 / 185,653 admits
  • Ponyo - €976,073 / 168,760 admits
  • The Wind Rises - €1,177,357 / 146,968 admits
  • Castle in the Sky - 132,076 admits
  • Kiki's Delivery Service - 127,044 admits
  • Princess Mononoke - 122,458 admits

Recent Anime

• Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 - €1,109,214 / 117,010 admits
  • One Piece: Film Red - €974,812 / 131,498 admits

Isn't it strange how it is uniformly overperforming in every country? You'd expect perhaps a few regions where it would be doing well, but not across the board! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tarabeesley said:

Isn't it strange how it is uniformly overperforming in every country? You'd expect perhaps a few regions where it would be doing well, but not across the board! 

ah, I won't say strange but surprise. Well, the thing is that Italy will cross Spain in 2-3 days which is quite astonishing for me since both are sister markets. UK is now at £1.8M (£154K Monday) just behind the two Pokémon's films. With this level of performance, it just making Spain number a bit quite of low. Now, I am wondering about Europe last port - Germany.

32 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

ah, I won't say strange but surprise. Well, the thing is that Italy will cross Spain in 2-3 days which is quite astonishing for me since both are sister markets. UK is now at £1.8M (£154K Monday) just behind the two Pokémon's films. With this level of performance, it just making Spain number a bit quite of low. Now, I am wondering about Europe last port - Germany.

Interesting thing about the UK is it will be released on IMAX screens on the 5th and the release will be expanded, too - so we might even see growth.

Any predictions about Germany? It might do really well if it has done well in other big European countries. 

17 minutes ago, tarabeesley said:

Interesting thing about the UK is it will be released on IMAX screens on the 5th and the release will be expanded, too - so we might even see growth.

Any predictions about Germany? It might do really well if it has done well in other big European countries. 

Maybe €3M ~ €5M. German Market is equivalent of French. But, need to know if Distributor is planning it as a single night event like other recent anime release.

CC @IndustriousAngel @el sid will know better

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Maybe €3M ~ €5M. German Market is equivalent of French. But, need to know if Distributor is planning it as a single night event like other recent anime release.

CC @IndustriousAngel @el sid will know better

Your guess is probably good. Mark_G from insidekino.de predicts that it will have a bit more than 400k admissions. He also mentioned that the schedule is pretty empty which should help.

Idk how many copies The Boy and the Heron gets in Germany (tomorrow we will know) but it will not be a single night event. It has e.g. in Mathäser every day showtimes (starting today).

Edited by el sid
  • Thanks 1

I still haven’t gotten around to seeing it again in dub, but I simply can’t stop thinking about this in a great way. I have a feeling with repeat viewings it might actually join the 3 I consider total  Miyazaki masterpieces for me   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tarabeesley said:

Miyazaki's worldwide following didn't really take off until the last 10-15 years, before then every one of his movies had to rely on critical acclaim to get people into the theater since anime films almost never received major releases outside of Japan. Now that he's widely regarded as one of the great living filmmakers and is someone whose movies have become childhood staples for many, just having a new movie out has been enough to get more people than ever into the theater, and luckily most distributors recognized that potential.

It's all pretty cool, especially since this film ended up being his lowest grossing release in Japan in over 30 years. Kinda feels like the phenomenon where a long-running franchise has its worst gross ever in the United States but its best overseas gross ever because the franchise took its time finding a fanbase in other markets. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, harrisonisdead said:

These may already be in this thread somewhere but I love these posters commissioned by the Italian distributor for the film

they look awesome but a little misleading lol

6 hours ago, cannastop said:

they look awesome but a little misleading lol

I love them, they look like they are almost a bit like the Chinese posters commissioned for Totoro and Spirited Away. However, I agree the art style is misleading.

5 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Bafta disrespect of anime continues. 

I think it has a good chance of being nominated for Best Animated Feature but not winning, sadly. It'll go to Spider-Verse. I don't think it has a chance at score either. Strange that it was more critically acclaimed than many of the films in Best Film but still didn't get a nod.