Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Hi guys! I am totally new here - and I must say, a total newbie in the BO domain - but I find this thread interesting.

I just have a few simple questions:

It appears to me that in English-speaking websites, the total gross made by a movie is much more important than the number of people who went to see this movie. Why is it so important? In my country, France, we mainly (to not say, all the time) look at the audience figure. It makes me wonder if it is not a cultural difference...

That being said, of course, I understand that from a production company's point of view, the money earned is very important. I like looking at both figures (total gross and tickets sold) because they tell me a bit more if a movie was more successful in one country than the other. Inflation, exchange rate, average price ticket might be criteria to take into consideration. Do you also look at both figures? Where can I see the audience figures for the UK please? (for example: Zootopia attracted 4.5 million people here in France, how about the UK?). Many thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rth said:

around 2.1-2

Holy shit, that is huge.

Today will easily top £3m, this is heading for an opening well above £7m, it has a very good chance at hitting £8m. More than double Cinderella and Maleficent's 3 days. 

• Like 2

I want to watch Warcraft on opening day at an IMAX laser presentation. So I emailed Empire as to when tickets will go on sale, and they told me that Leicester Square will not be getting Warcraft at all. Not just not IMAX, but not at all... anyone have any idea why this would be?

It is currently showing things like The Boy and Big Fat Greek Wedding 2... but it won't be getting Warcraft? Just doesn't sound right. Does anyone have any knowledge of that cinema? Do they often miss big films?

Or will Alice 2 be taking all the IMAX screens.

Zoo should still do well this weekend, hopefully it stabilises after TJB's opening, but I doubt it'll drop that much. 

Eye in the Sky looks like it's doing good business too, it actually was close to selling out some of the smaller screens.

8 hours ago, Max said:

Hi guys! I am totally new here - and I must say, a total newbie in the BO domain - but I find this thread interesting.

It appears to me that in English-speaking websites, the total gross made by a movie is much more important than the number of people who went to see this movie. Why is it so important? In my country, France, we mainly (to not say, all the time) look at the audience figure. It makes me wonder if it is not a cultural difference...

That being said, of course, I understand that from a production company's point of view, the money earned is very important. I like looking at both figures (total gross and tickets sold) because they tell me a bit more if a movie was more successful in one country than the other. Inflation, exchange rate, average price ticket might be criteria to take into consideration. Do you also look at both figures? Where can I see the audience figures for the UK please? (for example: Zootopia attracted 4.5 million people here in France, how about the UK?). Many thanks!

Unfortunately in the UK we rarely receive any admission info at all, which is weird considering it's a massive market, and most other big markets  track ticket sales on a daily basis. No idea why. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

I want to watch Warcraft on opening day at an IMAX laser presentation. So I emailed Empire as to when tickets will go on sale, and they told me that Leicester Square will not be getting Warcraft at all. Not just not IMAX, but not at all... anyone have any idea why this would be?

It is currently showing things like The Boy and Big Fat Greek Wedding 2... but it won't be getting Warcraft? Just doesn't sound right. Does anyone have any knowledge of that cinema? Do they often miss big films?

Or will Alice 2 be taking all the IMAX screens.

My local IMAX isn't even booking Warcraft in IMAX atm. Only 1 4DX screening as well. 

57 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Unfortunately in the UK we rarely receive any admission info at all, which is weird considering it's a massive market, and most other big markets  track ticket sales on a daily basis. No idea why. 

Yeah, it's really annoying. For most US movies we are the #1 most profitable or highest grossing foreign market, and yet the info we get is barebone at best.

Thanks Heretic. It is indeed very strange considering, as you mentioned, that the UK is a very big market. Even for the US, it looks like the total gross is only taken into consideration for measuring the success of a movie.

• Like 1

Rentrak are actually starting to ask for admissions reported alongside £s from this week, although we've been told that we don't have to give this information if we don't want to.

Jungle Book is absolutely huge here.. easily biggest Saturday this year for us.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Max said:

I totally understand what you mean. In Greece, it's the same. Media only report admissions (number of tickets sold) and honestly I think that's what matters. In US especially the admission numbers are just not there (the "adjusted for inflation" number is completely inaccurate and meaningless)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Heretic said:

TJB is looking absolutely monstrous today, wouldn't surprise me if its Saturday was higher than Cinderella's £3.8m ow. 

yep, more

could be looking around 9.4-10m  WE

Edited by Rth
  • Like 13