Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Very similar drop in the UK as in North America, 64.4% compared to 65.5% domestic drop week to week (Mon-Sun).

Dom

Dec 27: 540

Jan 3: 742 (+202.15)

Jan 10: 812 (+69.8)

UK

Dec 27: 98.9

Jan 3: 145.0 (+46.1)

Jan 10: 161.4 (+16.4)

Just got home from seeing The Hateful Eight at Odeon Leicester Square. While the use of 70mm is take it or leave I for me, I loved the ultra wide-screen presentation, I loved the overture, and I loved having the intermission. And thankfully I thought it was a cracking film too! Samuel L Jackson for MVP. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Baumer said:

Hey guys, there's a British website I contribute articles to from time to time called Top ten Films.  

Here's a top ten piece on most iconic SW moments......it's spoiler heavy so be warned, but have a look and support your local web community.

http://www.top10films.co.uk/archives/33061

Great article, B! I wasn't aware of that site but I'll be checking it out now!

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Just got home from seeing The Hateful Eight at Odeon Leicester Square. While the use of 70mm is take it or leave I for me, I loved the ultra wide-screen presentation, I loved the overture, and I loved having the intermission. And thankfully I thought it was a cracking film too! Samuel L Jackson for MVP. 

I had the intermission as well.

vue cinemas have it in, despite the distributor saying its for the 70mm only. 

Annoyed the hell out of me as wasn't prepared for it, but the movie was great. Really liked it a lot. 

Disney’s continuation of the space saga dropped just 43% on its way to a fourth weekend of $8.7m (£5.95m) for a monumental $158m (£108.4m) to date. Skyfall’s record of $150.4m (£103.2m) lasted just over three years.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/the-force-awakens-retains-uk-lead/5098710.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS-HEADLINES&contentID=42422

Daddy's Home continues its excellent run with £2.26m for £11.85m to date in the UK -

UK top five: Star Wars (£5.95m); Hateful Eight (£2.78m); Daddy's Home (£2.26m); Danish Girl (£1.29m); Joy (£1.04m) -

The Danish Girl overtakes Joy in the battle of the awards hopefuls with £1.29m for £3.79m -

'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' retains top spot at UK box office with $8.7m.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

That's a good drop SW, only 42% down from last weekend, should be close to £115m after this upcoming weekend, heading for £125m-ish.

Nice opening for The Hateful Eight, but it'll be hit very hard by The Revenant and Creed this weekend. The Revenant's success at the Golden Globes will make it huge. I'd say it has £20m+ potential. 

Crazy for Daddy's Home. Very unexpected run, should top £15m ($22m) quite easily.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 5:26 AM, SchumacherFTW said:

If Star Wars wasn't pulling this kind of money I'd probably agree with you, but I doubt their share would have amounted to more than £2m after counting the cut the distributor takes. They must have thought they'd be able to survive without while showing they aren't a pushover to the distributor. 

It's not so much of an issue for CW, it's a blow for art-house Picturehouse where you have Joy and Danish Girl doing so-so business while rival Curzon and Everyman selling out for H8.

• Like 1

On January 10, 2016 at 5:33 PM, SchumacherFTW said:

You should watch JOY