Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

2 minutes ago, James said:

TPATF did not have RO and Sing to contend with. But for your sake, I hope 20m happens.:lol:

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

With the weak pound, $20m is even a stretch baring some great legs over Christmas.

Looks like FB will remain number 1 for a 4th week before Rogue One arrives in 2 weeks. 

okay then, $10M it is! lol 

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Nah. To be fair, I do think Moana will drop very softly throughout the Christmas period, it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up with £15m or so.

Still though, it's very disappointing.

haha yeah I wasn't even being serious about the $10M comment. I do wonder the reason of its overall lack of overseas appeal tho. especially since it's not like TGD and doing well in the NA. I cannot but help thinking that maybe it's so unabashedly non-white. Yes, we've recently had TJB but that was India through the colonial British lens. Or it was just the promotional failure at the cost of promoting DS and R1 more.

8 minutes ago, yjs said:

haha yeah I wasn't even being serious about the $10M comment. I do wonder the reason of its overall lack of overseas appeal tho. especially since it's not like TGD and doing well in the NA. I cannot but help thinking that maybe it's so unabashedly non-white. Yes, we've recently had TJB but that was India through the colonial British lens. Or it was just the promotional failure at the cost of promoting DS and R1 more.

I doubt it, the US is embracing it, there's no reason to think this has anything to do with race. 

I just think marketing was not really there. I've barely seen any promotion. Plus FB has and is still catering to the family audience, and in the run up to Christmas, people's weekends gets busier and busier.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I doubt it. I just think marketing was not really there. I've barely seen any promotion. Plus FB has and is still catering to the family audience, and in the run up to Christmas, people's weekends gets busier and busier.

yeah, at least that's good to hear if it was just the lack of promo. I really wanted it to do well cause as a minority myself I thought it'd be so meaningful that this one breaks out huge. And it's not like a hard sell, it's a well-reviewed family entertainment. Think the last time a movie with a colored female lead made the yearend worldwide top 10 was.. I don't know, Mulan?

but then again it's all personal and I learned staning for movies for political reasons often times don't end too well, by the summer of Ghostbusters. Moana would do what it should do and I shouldn't stress over it too much. haha 

Edited by yjs

2 minutes ago, yjs said:

yeah, at least that's good to hear if it was just the lack of promo. I really wanted it to do well cause as a minority myself I thought it'd be so meaningful that this one breaks out huge. And it's not like a hard sell, it's a well-reviewed family entertainment. Think the last time a movie with a colored female lead made the yearend worldwide top 10 was.. I don't know, Mulan?

but then again it's all personal and I learned staning for movies for political reasons often times don't end too well, by the summer of Ghostbusters. Moana would do what it should do and I shouldn't stress over it too much. haha 

Trolls has also done really well in the UK (£22m so far) grossing nearly as much as Dr. Strange, and it might even beat it in the end. 

I imagine quite a few parents have empty wallets right now with Christmas approaching. We'll see how Moana fairs over December. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heretic said:

I doubt it, the US is embracing it, there's no reason to think this has anything to do with race. 

I just think marketing was not really there. I've barely seen any promotion. Plus FB has and is still catering to the family audience, and in the run up to Christmas, people's weekends gets busier and busier.

I saw more marketing for Sully than Moana

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Moana will play well in the coming weeks but I'm astounded at that opening. For god's sake people!!

The movie is AMAZING. It can't finish below goddamn Trolls!!!

It will be lucky to make a third of what Bridget Jones made :(

Yeah the promotion for Moana is awful. I've seen no posters, other than the one in the cinema. I've seen one TV appearance from Nicole and heard one feature on the radio. Apart from that, zilch.

Sully is advertised everywhere.

Edited by fnitte
  • Like 2