Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

BAFTA changes rules

Beginning in 2019, the Outstanding British Film and Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer categories will adhere to the diversity standards set out by the British Film Institute. That means productions will need to demonstrate that they have worked to increase the representation of under-represented groups in two of the four following areas: On screen representation, themes and narratives; project leadership and creative practitioners; industry access and opportunities; and opportunities for diversity in audience development.

In terms of membership eligibility, the requirement for new applicants to be proposed by someone from the existing membership has been removed. Says BAFTA, “This widens the pool of potential members and ensures that it’s only talent, and not also who you know, that enables BAFTA membership.”

http://deadline.com/2016/12/bafta-diversity-standards-film-awards-membership-1201870394/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 1

Midnights for Rogue One tonight. Looking very busy around my area, seen quite a few sellouts or near-sellouts. Of course it won't do the same as TFA (£2.4m), but maybe £1.3-1.5m.

OD should be well over £5m, probably nearer £6m.

Pre-sales for Friday look even stronger than tomorrow night, but I imagine it'll drop a bit from OD due to midnights. Saturday could be its biggest day.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 8

My local cinema, while definitely not representative of all UK cinemas was very busy tonight. Definitely and obviously not so much as TFA, but personally I think it was more packed than for any other major movie in recent years.

Also who gets to decide what trailers play before movies? I found out weird that only one Disney trailer played, Universal got 3. Other studios got one each.

Edited by Gamb1993

8 hours ago, James said:

It would only need to follow every other country we have data from up till now.

I'm going to actually agree with you now. I just had a look around and, while it's definitely very busy, it's no where even near the level that TFA was. Not many sellouts. Somewhere around £4.5m is what I'm expecting.

Tomorrow night will be busier.

• Like 2

That's quite bad, especially as it was boosted by midnights.

Huge drop from the £9.7m of TFA

Might not even reach £20m over the 4-day, but we'll see how it performs over the weekend. Still huge numbers though, just not the same magnitude as TFA.

32 minutes ago, Heretic said:

That's quite bad, especially as it was boosted by midnights.

Huge drop from the £9.7m of TFA

Might not even reach £20m over the 4-day, but we'll see how it performs over the weekend. Still huge numbers though, just not the same magnitude as TFA.

To be fair, TFA being the first Star Wars in a decade plus the original characters returning meant it was always going to be huge, Rogue One was never going to match that, it'll still be the biggest OW of the year and likely the biggest film of 2016

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

which will make more. Rogue One or Fantastic Beasts? 

It depends on how RO holds methinks. It's OD is behind FB (FB did 4.4m) and FB did have some very good legs. But whoever wins, they will be closer than anyone here thought.