Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

7 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

WK: July 1-3, 2022 (Fri-Sun)

Minions 2 - £10.4M 🆕

Elvis - £3M / £10.2M (-25%) 

Top Gun Maverick - £2.7M / £68M (-22%)

Jurassic World Dominion - £1.8M / £30.4M (-47%)

Buzz: LightYear - £860K / £8.5M (-62%)

Misc

Black Phone - £577K / £2.6M

TGM is currently at 16th spot in UK all time list...

Films with earnings over £50 million since 1989[1][2]
Rank    Title    Gross
(£ million)    Year
1 United Kingdom*    Star Wars: The Force Awakens    123.2    2015
2 United Kingdom*    Skyfall    103.2    2012
3 United Kingdom*    No Time to Die has increased gross since May 2021    96.7[3][4]    2021
4    Spider-Man: No Way Home has increased gross since May 2021    96.4[3]    2021
5 United Kingdom*    Spectre    95.2    2015
6    Avatar    94.0    2009
7 United Kingdom*    Avengers: Endgame    88.7    2019
8 United Kingdom*    Star Wars: The Last Jedi    82.7[5]    2017
9    Titanic    80.3    1998
10 United Kingdom*    The Lion King has increased gross since May 2021    76.0[6]    2019
11    Toy Story 3    74.0    2010
12 United Kingdom*    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 has increased gross since May 2021    73.1[7]    2011
13 United Kingdom*    Beauty and the Beast    72.4    2017
14 United Kingdom*    Avengers: Infinity War    70.8    2018
15 United Kingdom*    Mamma Mia! has increased gross since May 2021    68.9[8]    2008

Crossing 76m is a done deal i guess for a 10th spot.....can TGM touch TLJ/AE is the question!

• Like 2

Biggest 6th Weekends in UK(source :Shanks)

Titanic - £3.403m

Paddington - £2.834m

Top Gun :Marveick £2.7m

Toy Story 4 - £2.525m

LOTR: The Fellowship of the Rings - £2.416m

No Way Home - £2.335m

Skyfall - £2.275m

Mamma Mia! - £2.2m

The Greatest Showman - £2.2m

Frozen 2 - £2.092m

• Like 3

Thor predictions? 

Maybe £15m 4-day. Dr Strange 2 opened with £19.8m 4 day but think the general consensus at least in the US is that this will open lower, so assuming that will translate overseas too.

Weather also looks to be improving this weekend, looking very warm and sunny so think that will impact BO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

WK: July 1-3, 2022 (Fri-Sun)

Minions 2 - £10.4M 🆕

Elvis - £3M / £10.2M (-25%) 

Top Gun Maverick - £2.7M / £68M (-22%)

Jurassic World Dominion - £1.8M / £30.4M (-47%)

Buzz: LightYear - £860K / £8.5M (-62%)

Misc

Black Phone - £577K / £2.6M

Excellent hold for Elvis.

Great opening for Minions 2, but still under Minions and DM3

Top Gun still crazy. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

Are people really expecting Railway Children Return to do well? It’s an old property with a fairly stuffy subject so I doubt many kids will be begging their parents to see it, especially not when Minions and Thor are out.

If it does any business I bet it’ll be with the senior crowd who remember the original.

21 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Are people really expecting Railway Children Return to do well? It’s an old property with a fairly stuffy subject so I doubt many kids will be begging their parents to see it, especially not when Minions and Thor are out.

If it does any business I bet it’ll be with the senior crowd who remember the original.

It'll probably do fine for a British film but I think they should have released in May when there was no new family films. 

I've already seen posters for League of Super-Pets and I think that might do solid business.  

The total U.K. and Ireland box office for June 2022 was £95.7 million ($116 million), according to numbers released by Comscore.

May holdover “Top Gun: Maverick” was the top film of the month with £37.1 million, for a total of £65.3 million.

The Tom Cruise vehicle is also the top grossing film of the year in the territory so far, 55% above “Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness” (£42 million), which is the fifth highest grosser of June with £2.4 million. The sequel is also Cruise’s highest-grossing film to date, and Paramount’s best performing movie ever released – with the pair re-uniting again for next summer’s “Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One.”

At second position on June was “Jurassic World: Dominion,” with a gross of £28.5 million, which is the fifth best performing movie of the year so far. “Lightyear” was in third position, with a total to date of £7.6 million.

In fourth place was Baz Luhrmann’s “Elvis,” with a gross of £7.2 million so far. Universal’s “The Black Phone” entered the charts in June in sixth position, with a gross of £2 million. Universal are currently the top performing distributor of the year, with a market share of 24%.

“Everything Everywhere All At Once” was seventh placed with £1.4 million and a total gross of £4.9 million and “Downton Abbey: A New Era” was eighth, grossing £1 million in June and a total of £14.8 million to date, 5% behind the current best performing British film of the year, “Belfast” (£15.5 million).

Alex Garland’s “Men” was in ninth position with a gross of £982,000 and rounding off the top 10 was “Sonic The Hedgehog 2” with £974,000, and a total gross of £26.6 million, making it the sixth-highest grossing film of the year.

U.K. & Ireland – Top 10 Titles of June 2022 (June 3-30)

Lazy loaded image

U.K. & Ireland – Top 10 Titles of 2022 (Jan. 7-June 30)

Lazy loaded image

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

I can’t see it doing well, they just re-released the original and it had a PTA of £45.00 according to Screen Daily. 

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Feels like the kind of film that's fulfilling some form of quota. Those kinds of films are simply DOA these days. 

I think in a quieter month, it would have done okay but summer against big brashy films is asking for trouble. Unlike Paddington or the BFG which had fantasy elements, this looks a bit twee.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

I can’t see it doing well, they just re-released the original and it had a PTA of £45.00 according to Screen Daily. 

Yeeeeesh! i bet that set alarm bells ringing at Studiocanal HQ 😬 

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I think in a quieter month, it would have done okay but summer against big brashy films is asking for trouble. Unlike Paddington or the BFG which had fantasy elements, this looks a bit twee.

That’s exactly it, I just keep trying to imagine who this is aimed at, because I can’t imagine any child clamouring to watch a quaint British film about children going away to the countryside amid World War 2, kids today would really struggle to identify with any of it. At first I thought it might be another Working Title production as they seem to be ridiculously out of touch these days, constantly relying on adaptations and sequels that nobody asked for, so I was surprised to see it being Studiocanal.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

That’s exactly it, I just keep trying to imagine who this is aimed at, because I can’t imagine any child clamouring to watch a quaint British film about children going away to the countryside amid World War 2, kids today would really struggle to identify with any of it. At first I thought it might be another Working Title production as they seem to be ridiculously out of touch these days, constantly relying on adaptations and sequels that nobody asked for, so I was surprised to see it being Studiocanal.

The strange thing is that Paddington was hugely successful for Studiocanal so why they didn't go for a novel or story which was a bit more adventurous is beyond me. Homegrown films can succeed but I think they need a bit more scale if you're competing with the likes of superhero films and animated comedies. Something like Johnny English for example works because it has comedy and action,

• Like 1

19 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Shall be renewed this week. Minions shall be 5M or so. Thor 15M+.

Feels good for cinemas to be operating normally again, big releases keep coming and there's no dead spots for a little while. Shame we're getting the last "big" release of the summer this weekend though