Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

All these headlines coming out of the UK make me even more grateful about my country (or at least my province anyway) having a pretty mild summer so far. Still warm, but the temperatures have never gone above the high 20s celcius as of now. It's 27 as of me typing this. There's been a lot more rain and wind than usual too. To think the UK was known for its rainy weather being an easy punchline just a few short years ago...

10 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

So does the heat ever reach a point where the idea of being in a movie theatre just sounds better than being outside or at home (presuming no A/C there)?

Today and yesterday it definitely did. 

Roads and transport were noticeably less busy as everyone was staying inside trying to escape the heat as best as possible (even though it’s almost just as unbearable indoors without air con). But you can’t sit outside in a park or pub garden for hours in 40 degrees, so I’d say cinemas probably haven’t suffered as badly in this heatwave. 

But this is exceptional, for normal hot periods here (ie 30 degrees), the weather is much more useable for outdoor activities. Also, we have had quite a lot of hot weather this summer and I think as the summer goes on the impact on BO gets less. 

Edited by Heretic

10 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

So does the heat ever reach a point where the idea of being in a movie theatre just sounds better than being outside or at home (presuming no A/C there)?

It depends on the venue really. Multiplexes usually have good A/C, so yes. More independent, smaller chains and older buildings probably struggle a bit. What actually might have help the figures Monday and Tuesday that many school were closed due to the heatwave.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

Minions slightly ahead of Thor, will be a close battle for the weekend crown. Crawdad distant third. Elvis and TGM holding great, the King flat and Maverick slight increase from last week. 

TGM also overtook DH2 for all time #12. It means it outgrossed every single Harry Potter film in the UK. Let that sink in. Wow.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2022 at 8:47 PM, The Dark Alfred said:

Lot more encores to come. Some sites going daily with it. It is obviously premium priced, so that helps, too. Fleabag did I think close to $6m.

I find it interesting that NT Live's biggest shows have been 1 person shows. It was very difficult to get tickets for Prima Facie in its original West End run so no surprise the NT Live sold so well. 

People are getting used to it now and school holiday has arrived as well. Seeing some pretty awesome increases, Elvis, TGM handily up from last week. Thor and Minions neck and neck, gonna be a photo finish this weekend.

Maverick will overtake TS3 today for all time #11. Next up is Lion King and then Titanic.

3 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

People are getting used to it now and school holiday has arrived as well. Seeing some pretty awesome increases, Elvis, TGM handily up from last week. Thor and Minions neck and neck, gonna be a photo finish this weekend.

Maverick will overtake TS3 today for all time #11. Next up is Lion King and then Titanic.

Did Crawdads go over £1m including previews?