Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

On 7/13/2022 at 4:26 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

Some tidbits from UK yearbook 2021

• NTTD £4.6M IMAX Gross
  • Spider-man: No Way Home £3.6M in 3D out of £74.8M. Only 2021 release to do more than £1M in 3D.
  • image.png
  • This may be of some interest
    image.png
  • image.png
  • image.png
  •  

This is great, thanks for sharing! 

It’ll be interesting to see the 2022 breakdown by country, considering English cinemas were open for more of 2021 than the other countries.   

Glad to see Wonder Woman 1984 at #3 too. 

and where are people still finding £12.1m of physical rentals? 😂

UK-Ireland box office tracking at 80% of 2019 levels for 2022

BY @Issac Newton 14 JULY 2022

The 2022 UK-Ireland box office is tracking at 80% of the last complete pre-pandemic year, with cinemas continuing a recovery towards full strength; as eyes turn to the release schedule for the remainder of the year.

Total box office for 2022 stood at £493m at the end of June, compared to £614.2m for the first six months of 2019.

Should box office continue at this rate, 2022 will end at £1.08bn. That figure would be 80.1% up on the £597m total for 2021, when cinemas were closed until mid-May; and 234.4% up on the £323m of 2020, when cinemas were closed on-and-off from mid-March onwards amid lockdowns and a sparsely-populated release calendar.

This year has been buoyed by the success of Paramount’s Top Gun: Maverick, at £70.6m last weekend, plus Disney’s Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness (£42.1m) and Warner Bros’ The Batman (£40.8m).

A strong June saw £95.8m box office, down only 0.6% on the £96.4m from June 2019. This compares favourably to January 2022, when takings were at 61% of January 2019.

Takings for the top 15 this past weekend were £20.3m – the fourth-highest total for the top 15 in the last year. It was 3% up on the weekend before, and an impressive 102% up on the same weekend last year, which took just over £10m.

• Like 7

1. Thor £4.1m -67% £20.9m

2. Minions £2.7m -38% £23.1m

3. Elvis £1m -23% £16.2m

4. Top Gun £810k -20% £72.3m

5. Jurassic World £382k -31.7% £32.5m

6. Railway Children £365k (pta of £584)

Lightyear £162k -28.7% £9.3m

Black Phone £149k -29% £3.6m

Some very decent holds despite the heat wave after all. 

• Like 7

Oof for The Railway Children Return, I didn't think it would do great but that's a complete rejection by the GBP.

I can't imagine Where the Crawdads Sings will do that well, maybe over £1m at a push. I think DC League of Super Pets will do well the week after, I've seen so many ads and posters for it.

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Oof for The Railway Children Return, I didn't think it would do great but that's a complete rejection by the GBP.

I can't imagine Where the Crawdads Sings will do that well, maybe over £1m at a push. I think DC League of Super Pets will do well the week after, I've seen so many ads and posters for it.

Superpets being the only fresh option during the school holidays can only help it 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AJG said:

They made a sequel to the Railway Children in 2022 and expected people to care....

I’m not even surprised, it’s far too quaint for todays kids, especially when they’ve got Minions playing in a screen next door.

It’d have been better suited as a Sunday night ITV drama.

Edited by SnokesLegs

9 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Just double check that's not getting cancelled. I had a screener tomorrow that's not going ahead. If you're going to a properly air-conditioned screen, you're laughing.

Yeh it’s the Cineworld unlimited screenings so seems to still be going ahead.