Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Can’t say I’m surprised. Went to see The Blackening last night and it was funny, but nothing special. 

I wasn’t expecting it to light up the box office, but I’m actually slightly surprised it’s doing so poorly, my screening last night was almost sold out. It’s fun and made me laugh quite a bit (there was a Sister Act reference that i seemed to be the only one in the entire screen to get), but I’ve got to admit, it’s quick to fade from my memory. Worth a watch though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I wasn’t expecting it to light up the box office, but I’m actually slightly surprised it’s doing so poorly, my screening last night was almost sold out. It’s fun and made me laugh quite a bit (there was a Sister Act reference that i seemed to be the only one in the entire screen to get), but I’ve got to admit, it’s quick to fade from my memory. Worth a watch though.

“If you want to be somebody, if you want to go somewhere” 😂😂

• Thanks 1

How long until cinemas start to struggle again? Barbenheimer is dying down and many promising upcoming releases are being delayed due to strikes. Everything coming out at the moment seems to not do welI. There are films I'm looking forward to but I don't think the rest of the year looks great from a box office perspective.

A few horrors coming - they have proven reliable the last couple of years but won't do huge numbers, I don't have faith in The Marvels because the MCU brand is declining and two of the stars are from Disney+ shows which a lot of people didn't watch. Then you've got movies like Killers of the Flower Moon and Napoleon which look great but I don't imagine they will be hugely successful.  Hopefully families turn up for Trolls and Wonka.

Edited by Simplyobsessed

32 minutes ago, Simplyobsessed said:

How long until cinemas start to struggle again? Barbenheimer is dying down and many promising upcoming releases are being delayed due to strikes. Everything coming out at the moment seems to not do welI. There are films I'm looking forward to but I don't think the rest of the year looks great from a box office perspective.

A few horrors coming - they have proven reliable the last couple of years but won't do huge numbers, I don't have faith in The Marvels because the MCU brand is declining and two of the stars are from Disney+ shows which a lot of people didn't watch. Then you've got movies like Killers of the Flower Moon and Napoleon which look great but I don't imagine they will be hugely successful.  Hopefully families turn up for Trolls and Wonka.

I think the films that haven’t done well recently were never really destined to do too well anyway, so I wouldn’t read too much into that. Blue Beetle and Gran Turismo’s woeful performances are more to do with audience apathy to films that never looked particularly good to begin with.

If the films are there and they look genuinely good, people will turn up. Whether cinemas begin to struggle or not is purely down to whether the studios start to pull films off the schedule rather than pay their writers and actors a fair wage.

• Like 1

Cinema probably the only place able to create the things that could called “social phenomenon” now.

At pre-internet era we have so many franchises that everybody at least saw once on TV,like Tom and Jerry.SpongeBob,Mickey Mouse and some popular TV show like Mr bean etc,these shows could be called “National beloved” because we don’t have choice before internet era,what we saw on TV is depends on what’s TV is playing at time,that’s why everybody’s eyes could focus on few great shows,but now this is impossible,because in internet era ,we have choice,we have mult-entertainment way,we can even make “shows” by ourselves(like post a video on tiktok or youtube),every people divided into different interest tribe,it’s impossible to create the shows that everybody watch,if Mr Bean shows on TV nowadays it will still be popular but it’s impossible to be popular at “everybody at least see one episode”level.

That’s the same reason why we don’t have superstar that everybody know like MJ in this era,because the time is changed,the imformation is exploded,everybody have own interest and can’t focus on few things now,during current era.the cinema probably the only place able to attract most people’s attention.

Edited by Sophia Jane
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

Cinema probably the only place able to create the things that could called “social phenomenon” now.

At pre-internet era we have so many franchises that everybody at least saw once on TV,like Tom and Jerry.SpongeBob,Mickey Mouse and some popular TV show like Mr bean etc,these shows could be called “National beloved” because we don’t have choice before internet era,what we saw on TV is depends on what’s TV is playing at time,that’s why everybody’s eyes could focus on few great shows,but now this is impossible,because in internet era ,we have choice,we have mult-entertainment way,we can even make “shows” by ourselves(like post a video on tiktok or youtube),every people divided into different interest tribe,it’s impossible to create the shows that everybody watch,if Mr Bean shows on TV nowadays it will still be popular but it’s impossible to be popular at “everybody at least see one episode”level.

That’s the same reason why we don’t have superstar that everybody know like MJ in this era,because the time is changed,the imformation is exploded,everybody have own interest and can’t focus on few things now,during current era.the cinema probably the only place able to attract most people’s attention.

That, and also live sports/live music are still worldwide phenomena. You still have your Messi's and Mbappe's, Beyonce's and Taylor Swift's. 

Saturday

#1 Barbie £711k (£88.4m)

#2 Opp £611k (£52.5m)

#3 Andre Rieu £337k

#4 Meg £291k (£11m)

#5 Beetle £284k (£2.5m)

#6 TMNT £179k (£7.8m)

#7 Haunted £139k (£3m)

#8 MI7 £134k (£25.4m)

#9 Elemental £125k (£16.8m)

#10 Strays £121k (£1.2m)

#11 Blackening £88k (£286k - includes previews)

#12 GT £67k (£2.3m)

#13 Rocky £49k (£1.9m)
#14 Theatre Camp £46k (£97k)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Great holds for Opp and Barbie. Opp looking at sub 30% drop, and Barbie around the 30% mark.

Tomorrow is also a bank holiday.

Can’t see Barbie missing £95m at this point. £100 would be absolutely mind blowing, but will have to see how it plays throughout September when school holidays end in a week.

Oppenheimer looks on track for £60m which is incredible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

That, and also live sports/live music are still worldwide phenomena. You still have your Messi's and Mbappe's, Beyonce's and Taylor Swift's. 

Like I said they are never as popular as “Everybody watch them” level,like only fans will going to watch Beyonce’s live music show but impossible to be everybody going to watch Beyonce’s live music show on TV,It’s impossible in this mult-entertainments way era,social media kill the chance for the birth of new superstar and new national beloved franchise.

Demon Slayer in Japan could be the only exception

Edited by Sophia Jane