Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

4 hours ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Such a shame Netflix didn't do a cinema release for Chicken Run 2. It would have done great business over Christmas

It has a limited release, I watched it at Everyman and was the only one there, but I think that was good luck as I saw people booked into other screenings.

Edited by Simplyobsessed

36 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

What are Christmas releases in the UK?. There is some British new movie or Wonka and Acquaman are the only big releases until january?.

What about colour purple? Musicals are a strong genre there. 

Ferrari, Next Goal Wins, The Boy and the Heron and Anyone but you all release on Dec 26th. 

The UK isn't getting The Colour Purple until late January.

https://filmdistributorsassociation.com/release-schedule/all-future-releases/

11 hours ago, Krissykins said:

What are the expectations for Aquaman? 

I’d say #2 behind Wonka. Even though my drive to the cinema seemed to be sponsored by Aquaman earlier: old school billboards, digital billboards, busses, bus stops. He was everywhere. 

Aquaman is doa by the look of it. BFI IMAX is in the situation where 1 early show off Wonka is outselling the rest of the day with Aquaman. Godzilla's show on Thursday is 3x more full than Aquaman's solo show. It's going to be a brutal run. 

• Like 1

Weekend Numbers (FSS)

Film Distributor Weeks on release Weekend Total Total Box Office
1 Wonka Warner Bros. 2 £6,362,786 £18,487,627
2 Godzilla Minus One Anime Ltd 1 £816,891 £816,891
3 The Hunger Games: The Ballad Of Songbirds And Snakes Lionsgate UK 5 £612,655 £15,887,971
4 Wish Walt Disney 4 £587,619 £6,613,100
5 Napoleon Sony Pictures 4 £499,388 £12,474,810
6 Saltburn Warner Bros. 5 £302,326 £4,757,552
7 Animal AA Films UK 3 £181,960 £2,064,200
8 The Nutcracker – ROH, London 2023 (Ballet) Royal Opera House 1 £180,826 £803,518
9 Elf (20th Anniversary) Warner Bros. 3 £177,812 £898,241
10 Home Alone Park Circus 263 £177,103 £2,496,257
11 Home Alone 2: Lost In New York Park Circus 288 £103,645 £569,715
12 Polar Express (R/I) (U), The Park Circus 472 £96,042 £1,048,151
13 Seventeen Tour ‘Follow’ To Japan: Live Viewing (Concert) Trafalgar Releasing 1 £80,608 £80,608
14 It’s A Wonderful Life (75th Anniversary) Park Circus 107 £69,585 £919,402
15 Renaissance: A Film By Beyonce (Concert) Trafalgar Releasing 3 £65,258 £1,679,777
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Aquaman is doa by the look of it. BFI IMAX is in the situation where 1 early show off Wonka is outselling the rest of the day with Aquaman. Godzilla's show on Thursday is 3x more full than Aquaman's solo show. It's going to be a brutal run. 

It’s genuinely impressive just how badly this is going to perform coming off a film that made over a billion dollars worldwide. 

I know there’s been other DC films that have further eroded interest, but you’d think a sequel to a generally well liked original would be able to at least open well. This is just outright rejection.

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

It’s genuinely impressive just how badly this is going to perform coming off a film that made over a billion dollars worldwide. 

I know there’s been other DC films that have further eroded interest, but you’d think a sequel to a generally well liked original would be able to at least open well. This is just outright rejection.

it’s been five years since Aquaman. I’d argue that’s even more of an issue than the recent DC flops. That kind of gap is almost always unbridgeable for sequels these days.

1 hour ago, JustWatching said:

it’s been five years since Aquaman. I’d argue that’s even more of an issue than the recent DC flops. That kind of gap is almost always unbridgeable for sequels these days.

If you look at the most successful sequels post-COVID, except for NWH they are all at least 4-5 years after their predecessors.

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

If you look at the most successful sequels post-COVID, except for NWH they are all at least 4-5 years after their predecessors.

You don't even have to look at the most successful sequels post-COVID.  Only 5 out of the 22 sequels that passed $400M WW since March 2020 had less than a 4 year gap and only 2 of them (John Wick Chapter 4 and Fast X) came out after April 2022.  John Wick Chapter 4 had a 46 month gap so it was basically a 4 year gap.

Edited by BOfficeStats

21 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

I don’t know if I’d call it genuinely impressive since The Marvels just did this a few weeks ago. 

Captain Marvel opening weekend £12,700,000

Captain Marvel 2 opening weekend £3,460,000

Aquaman opening weekend £5,230,000

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1