Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Warner Bros’ climactic Hobbit outing fought its way to a further $8.4m (£5.4m) as it crossed the £20m mark after just ten days in play to stand at $31.7m (£20.3m).

At the same stage in their runs, The Desolation of Smaugstood at $31.3m (£20.01m) and An Unexpected Journeystood at $37m (£23.7m), although the latter had an extra day of release due to opening previews.

Falling a slim 14% in its fourth weekend, Paddington held off all newcomers to remain in second place with $3.9m (£2.5m).
StudioCanal’s big screen outing for the marmalade-loving bear is now up to a terrific $28.3m (£18.1m)

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb with a UK debut of $2.9m (£1.9m) 
Charting narrowly behind Night at the Museum in fourth was Dumb and Dumber To with a UK bow of $2.8m (£1.8m) at a site average of $6,160 (£3,944).
  • Like 1

Exodus, Big Eyes and Unbroken on Boxing Day.

I imagine the Hobbit will stay number 1, and Paddington will have another soft drop. Exodus will likely open pretty well (£3m-4m?), but drop off quickly like in the US. Big Eyes is more about the legs, as is Unbroken, though I expect the latter to have a pretty decent opening too.

Top thr Engagements Uk
19-21/12

1-Imax Southbank             (BOFA)
2-CW Sheffield 20              (BOFA)
3-Odeon Manchester 20          (BOFa)
4-Odeon Leicster Square       (BOFA)
5-Vue Westfield 17, London     (BOFA)
6-CW Feltham 14                 (PK)
7-CW Glasgow 18                (BOFA)
8-NAC Showcase Bluewater 12  (BOFA)
9-CW Crawley 15               (BOFA)
10-Odeon Metrocentre 12       (BOFA)
  • Like 1

Top thr Engagements Uk

19-21/12

1-Imax Southbank (BOFA)

2-CW Sheffield 20 (BOFA)

3-Odeon Manchester 20 (BOFa)

4-Odeon Leicster Square (BOFA)

5-Vue Westfield 17, London (BOFA)

6-CW Feltham 14 (PK)

7-CW Glasgow 18 (BOFA)

8-NAC Showcase Bluewater 12 (BOFA)

9-CW Crawley 15 (BOFA)

10-Odeon Metrocentre 12 (BOFA)

Considering the sheer volume of seats available at all these other cinemas, the performances of OLS and particularly BFI imax really are astounding again.
  • Like 1

Will Birdman appear in the top twenty since it's getting early release in West End cinemas or will they considered previews? 

January is very competitive as usual, January 9th alone has Taken 3, Into the Woods and Foxcatcher. Taken 3 will easily be number 1 but it'll be lower than Taken 2 and Into the Woods I could see having legs, There is also Wild, American Sniper, The Gambler and at the end of January Kingsman the Secret Service and Big Hero 6. 

Paddington is really benefiting from crappy family competition and Big Hero 6 isn't out for another month so it has most of January as well. Strange that the biggest films of this year were family films although Apes and Inbetweeners 2 did very well even if the latter had terrible legs. 

2015 will be Star Wars, Avengers and Spectre in the top three but I think other big grossers will be Fast and Furious 7, Minions, Mockingjay part 2 and either Inside Out or The Good Dinosaur and other solid hits will be The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Cinderella, Shaun the Sheep, Tomorrowland and Mission Impossible 5. 

Edited by Jonwo

Pretty poor to take off an advertised show. Which chain was this? Did they give you anything?

It was Cineworld and I hadn't booked at that point. When something is big they do it quite commonly as they get away with the whole times are subject to change spiel. It wasn't too big a deal in the end as i had other stuff to do, but still disappointing.

Hasn't been posted yet

Ian Sandwell

Paddington has hit £20m in the UK, after adding over £2m on Mon and Tues. A nice early Christmas present for @StudioCanalUK. £30m possible.

With Christmas eve added on, I imagine it'll be at around £24m-ish by Sunday, which is a £6m week. Should stay flat or increase again this upcoming week, so £30m is well and truly locked. It's on track to beat Lego Movie for no.2 of the year, after The Hobbit, of course.

Speaking of, I expect a weekend of over £5m for that. DoS increased 2%.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3

Ian Sandwell

Paddington up to £24m in the UK after estimated £2.6m weekend. Now one of the top ten highest grossing films of the year.

Huge week for Paddington. £35m is the target now, not too far away from Frozen.

Ian Sandwell

Dumb and Dumber To adds £1.1m for £3.8m as Unbroken opens in the UK with around £675k from 437 sites.

Poor for Unbroken.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2