Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

LONDON – U.K. box office in 2014 fell 3% to £1.13 billion ($1.75 billion), Rentrak revealed Friday. The U.K. tally represents 6% of the world’s box office.

Warner Bros. movies occupied the top two positions in the year’s charts, with “The Lego Movie” coming out top with a £34.3 million ($52.9 million) gross, followed by “The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies” on £33.5 million ($51.6 million).

Entertainment’s “The Inbetweeners 2,” a home-grown teen gross-out comedy, came third with £33.4 ($51.4 million), followed by Fox’s “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” on £32.7 million ($50.3 million), and Lionsgate’s “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1” on £30.1 million ($46.3 million).

Apart from “The Inbetweeners 2,” the only other U.K. film in the top 20 was Studiocanal’s children’s movie “Paddington,” which has taken £28 million ($43 million).

Fox led the distributors’ chart with a 21.4% share, followed by Warner with 15%, and Universal with 11.4%. Disney came fourth with 9.3%, eOne Films followed with 8% and Studiocanal had 6.8%.

3% isn't too bad considering there were no mega-hits this year. 2015 should be huge.

If this is up to the 31st, those numbers seem strong for Hobbit and Paddington.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2

The Theory of Everything is a great film, much better than the blandly directed Imitation Game.

What's not bland about the way Theory of Everything was directed? Except its gross 'put through an instagram filter' look and that awful reversal of time sequence at the end?

• Like 1

Big Hero 6 in 3D was about half full for me today. Bodes well for the full release later this month. Loved the film too so I'm all good.

Considering it wasn't advertised, that's good, I imagine they'll be bundled with the actual total. It'll be interesting which of Kingsman and BH6 comes up tops when both are released on the 30th.

Considering it wasn't advertised, that's good, I imagine they'll be bundled with the actual total. It'll be interesting which of Kingsman and BH6 comes up tops when both are released on the 30th.

Disney par at the moment is around £5m on opening weekend. I don't see Kingston going that high, but it should crack £10m total hopefully.

My two Big Hero 6 screenings (projector broke in the first so we scrambled to another cinema) were packed today, seemed to go down really well as well. Hope it reaches at least £25M here, potential for more with Feb half term.