Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Sorry, I thought Lionsgate had already announced, but I am sure it is getting IMAX. The first Divergent had IMAX so this one will have as well. Also, Seventh Son is in IMAX and opens in the UK in March as well.

What stops me from thinking Insurgent will go imax here is that Noah took it instead last year. Though we randomly got the last Twilight so who knows. Edited by Schumacher FTW

What stops me from thinking Insurgent will go imax here is that Noah took it instead last year. Though we randomly got the last Twilight so who knows.

Well, here it was Captain America 2 and TASM2 that got IMAX last year, but I am pretty sure this year it will be Insurgent (and like I said, it won't surprise me if Chappie gets IMAX as well).

Well, here it was Captain America 2 and TASM2 that got IMAX last year, but I am pretty sure this year it will be Insurgent (and like I said, it won't surprise me if Chappie gets IMAX as well).

We had that log jam as well. Cap got 1 week, Noah got 2, then Spidey had a good month before Godzilla. They must have brought the remastering cost down because I swear it used to be $10m.

I think that's already been confirmed. But that's the perfect movie for DBox instead.

Yeah, that is already confirmed for IMAX.

We had that log jam as well. Cap got 1 week, Noah got 2, then Spidey had a good month before Godzilla. They must have brought the remastering cost down because I swear it used to be $10m.

We had Cap 2 for 3 weeks, TASM2 for 2 weeks, Transcendence for 2 weeks and only after this we got Godzilla on mid May. Neither Noah or Divergent had IMAX here.

I also think the cost went down. FOX has been releasing every movie in IMAX. Exodus, Penguins, Night at the Museum 3, Taken 3 and now Kingsman. 

Edited by CJohn

Yeah, that is already confirmed for IMAX.

We had Cap 2 for 3 weeks, TASM2 for 2 weeks, Transcendence for 2 weeks and only after this we got Godzilla on mid May. Neither Noah or Divergent had IMAX here.

I also think the cost went down. FOX has been releasing every movie in IMAX. Exodus, Penguins, Night at the Museum 3, Taken 3 and now Kingsman.

Kind of Ironic that they released all of that in IMAX and not Apes or X-men last year. Apes in particular was a big missed opportunity.

Kind of Ironic that they released all of that in IMAX and not Apes or X-men last year. Apes in particular was a big missed opportunity.

They also released The Maze Runner in IMAX :lol:

Kinda weird, yeah. 

X-Men was due to Godzilla having IMAX and Apes was partly due to Guardians in IMAX.

The top four films each made £2-3m, considering it's January it's impressive, has that ever happened before?

Edited by Jonwo

Fox’s threequel adds $5m (£3.3m) for $18.5m (£12.2m) after 11 days in play; Warner Bros’ American Sniper records Clint Eastwood’s best-ever opening with $3.8m (£2.5m).

Despite some stiff competition from awards contender American Sniper, Taken 3 has retained top spot at the UK box office for the second straight week.

Fox’s threequel shot to a further $5m (£3.3m) after a 43% drop (excluding previews) for $18.5m (£12.2m) after 11 days in play. At the same stage in its run, Taken 2 stood at $22m (£14.5m) meaning that Taken 3 will require a stronger hold this weekend to have a chance of topping the sequel’s $35.6m (£23.5m) result.

Also for Fox, Birdman fell just 27% on its way to a $836,000 (£551,250) third weekend for $6.1m (£4m) to date, while Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb reached $17.1m (£11.3m) with a $629,000 (£415,211) fifth weekend.

Released in 293 sites, Wild travelled to a UK bow of $796,000 (£524,991) including previews of just over $167,000 (£110,000). That’s behind the $1.6m (£1.1m) debut of director Jean-Marc Vallée’s last awards contender, Dallas Buyers Club, which went on to take $7.9m (£5.2m) in the UK.

Penguins of Madagascar and Exodus: Gods and Kings stand at $11.7m (£7.7m) and $12m (£7.9m), respectively.

WARNER BROS

The week’s highest new entry came in the form of American Sniper with an impressive $3.8m (£2.5m) opening salvo from its 411 sites.

Warner Bros’ awards contender posted Clint Eastwood’s best-ever UK bow as director, some distance ahead of Changeling’s $1.9m (£1.2m) debut from 351 sites. American Sniper also marked the second-widest opening for Eastwood, behind Jersey Boys’ 448 sites debut.

Gran Torino is currently Eastwood’s highest grossing film with $12.6m (£8.3m) and a strong hold this coming weekend should see American Sniper in a position to challenge that.

Also for Warner Bros, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies has become the first 2014 release to hit £40m. The climactic Hobbit outing journeyed to $970,000 (£639,000) for $61.2m (£40.3m), but is likely to finish as the lowest-grossing outing of the trilogy.

UNIVERSAL

Boosted by its awards recognition over the past fortnight, The Theory of Everything posted a terrific hold in its third weekend, dropping just 6% for $3.5m (£2.3m).

Universal’s biopic has now taken $18.1m (£11.93m) to date and can likely look forward to an extended run up to the Oscars and beyond, pushing it towards £20m at the very least.

DISNEY

Expanding slightly to 485 sites, Into the Woods fell just 18% on its way to a $3m (£2m) second weekend.

Disney’s musical is now up to $8.1m (£5.4m) in the UK and is on course to top the $16.6m (£10.97m) result of previous Stephen Sondheim film adaptation, Sweeney Todd. It’ll need a couple of further strong holds to challenge director Rob Marshall’s highest-grossing musical outing, Chicago’s $24.9m (£16.4m) result.

STUDIOCANAL

Falling a slim 27% in its eighth weekend, StudioCanal’s Paddington added $1.4m (£936,248) for $51.6m (£34.03m) to date. It will shortly overtake The Lego Movie’s $52m (£34.3m) to become the second highest-grossing 2014 release.

Also for StudioCanal, The Imitation Game was buoyed by its Oscar nominations as it climbed 1% for a $320,000 (£211,093) weekend, crossing the £15m mark to stand at $23m (£15.2m).

SONY

Strong critical approval saw Sony’s Whiplash drum up a solid $879,000 (£580,000) from its 249 sites on its UK bow. Equally impressive word-of-mouth could see the film sustain up to the Oscars, where it’s nominated for five awards including Best Film.

Also for Sony, Annie is now director Will Gluck’s best-ever UK performer after a respectable 34% drop in its fourth weekend led it to $629,000 (£415,000) for $10.5m (£6.9m) to date.

LIONSGATE

With $91,000 (£60,376) in previews from Monday’s [Jan 12] live stream of a Q&A from the BFI Southbank to nearly 300 sites, Lionsgate’s Testament of Youth posted a $632,000 (£417,269) UK opening from its 235 sites. It should enjoy sturdy midweek returns given its older-skewing audience.

Also for Lionsgate, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 has amassed $46.9m (£30.96m).

EONE

Falling over 50% in its second weekend, eOne’s Foxcatcher grossed $576,000 (£379,947) for a ten-day tally of $2.5m (£1.7m). As expected, the film is now director Bennett Miller’s best-ever UK performer, surpassing Capote’s $2.3m (£1.5m) tally.

Also for eOne, The Woman in Black: Angel of Death has now scared up $7.1m (£4.7m) following a $558,000 (£368,439) third weekend.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Universal’s Ex Machina (opens Jan 21), Lionsgate’s Mortdecai, Paramount’s The Gambler and Icon’s A Most Violent Year.

Teen movie documentary Beyond Clueless and Curzon Film World’s La Maison De La Radio are among the films receiving a limited release.

• Like 1

Top thr Engagements UK
16-18/1

1-Vue Westfield Strathford               (Tak3)
2-CW Sheffield 20                         (Tak3)
3-Vue Westfield 17, London                (Tak3)
4-Odeon trafford Centre 20               (Tak3)
5-Odeon Metrocentre 12                     (Tak3)
6-Vue Star City Birmingham 25              (Tak3)
7-NAc Showcase Bluewater 12                (Tak3)
8-Odeon Liverpool one 14                  (Tak3)
9-CW Crawley 15                            (Tak3)
10-Odeon Leicester Sqaure                   (Tak3)