Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Boxing Day has never really struck me as a huge box office day in the UK like it is in other countries. Everyone is shopping in the sales or spending the day with more family and friends. The following days leading up to New Years are stronger.

2 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Well SW is doing even better in the UK than in the States and it's breaking records there too. Boxing Day number will be big, but not mega huge. Details in a couple of hours. Daddy's Home breaking out, Peanuts and ITHotS disappoints.

Daddy's Home seems to be a surprise hit both here and in the US. I assume families need something to watch other than Star Wars. 

It'll be interesting how The Danish Girl and Joy do, Joy has a head start because of previews in West End cinemas which won't be counted yet. Neither will match either The Theory of Everything or American Hustle but probably will do decently. The Hateful Eight and The Revenant will likely be successful as well. 

Looking ahead to 2016, it won't be as big as a year as 2015 but we'll likely have a few £30-40m grossers, Rogue One will be successful but not on the same scale as TFA, Batman v Superman and Civil War will break out as will Finding Dory and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. My wildcards for 2016 are Suicide Squad and The BFG.

4 hours ago, Heretic said:

Boxing Day has never really struck me as a huge box office day in the UK like it is in other countries. Everyone is shopping in the sales or spending the day with more family and friends. The following days leading up to New Years are stronger.

yeah reasonable day but 27th traditionally biggest(marginal or in a big way) 28-30 can be slight bigger again or same , 1st usually isn't but 2nd is

having said that TFA blown everything out of water its way bigger than Avatar was on boxing day like by 2.7-8 times and would have to be close to double nearest closest BDay

total (IAL OD)..so if 27th ends up being bigger again:)

• Like 5

Just now, VenomXXR said:

Yep. US pop is about 322 million, UK is 64 million. So $200 million in the UK would be $1 billion here.

Ya I get there are more factors than pop to consider with this but still it should be comparable. So what chances does it have at making 200mil?

1 minute ago, tokila said:

Ya I get there are more factors than pop to consider with this but still it should be comparable. So what chances does it have at making 200mil?

At this point I'd put it at 70%. It's definitely tracking towards $200 million, whether it gets there depends on the last little hold towards the end of January. $175 would be a lock. 

• Like 1