Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:
Fantastic for Logan. It's down only 42% Fri-Sun, and its weekday business (£4m) was very strong. Should end up close to £25m, which would be the 2nd biggest of the franchise after Days of Future Past.  X Men 2 is the only other film to top £20m, so this is a massive achievement for Logan. 

Shouldn't Deadpool count or is that a seperate from the X-Men franchise? 

I'm really curious to see how Power Rangers as I've seen posters but I have a feeling it's going to be another F4ntastic 

Seen almost no marketing for power rangers and i suspect it'll flop. Won't grab/interest people like Transformers did (and similar to TMNT) because it's not really anything they haven't seen before. Power Rangers was always live action whereas most people know Transformers and TMNT from cartoons and toys.

17 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Shouldn't Deadpool count or is that a seperate from the X-Men franchise? 

I'm really curious to see how Power Rangers as I've seen posters but I have a feeling it's going to be another F4ntastic 

Well Charles Gant, who writes the weekly box office article for The Guardian didn't include Deadpool. I guess it could be included, but it isn't as central to the franchise as Logan for example is. 

And i'm not sure about Power Rangers. I feel like it could do well with a very narrow demo, but not enough to make it a hit. Plus the fact is looks (and probably is) awful. March has been full of blockbusters and the biggest is yet to come. No sure if there's much room for PR to do well. Fast 8 releases not too long afterwards aswell. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

good numbers for both movies.

Has anyone seen Kong in 4DX? I am tempted to go tonight as I haven't tried 4DX before and got nothing better to do... is the experience worth a try?

I have already seen the movie btw.

Depends on where you go because the projection is kinda ropey in some. Crawley is great, but Stevenage always has a mirror image that they don't seem willing to get rid of. But the experience is fun for that kind of film. 

Warner Bros’ reboot lands with $7.6m (£6.22m); Elle posts strong site average.

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 Kong: Skull Island (WB) $7.6m (£6.22m) $7.6m (£6.22m)
2 Logan (Fox) $4.7m (£3.86m) $20.6m (£16.86m)
3 The Lego Batman Movie(WB) $1m (£820,000) $31.7m (£26m)
4 Viceroy’s House (Fox) $700,000 (£572,904) $2.9m (£2.34m)
5 Moonlight (Altitude) $582,000 (£476,419) $4.1m (£3.35m)

(Note - Dollar conversions are based on today’s rates)

WARNER BROS

Kong: Skull Island brought a swift end to Logan’s UK reign as it debuted top of the box office.

Warner Bros’ King Kong reboot opened to a healthy $7.6m (£6.22m) bow from its 565 sites, including $748,000 (£612,000) from Thursday (March 9). Its Fri-Sun tally of $6.8m (£5.61m) would have also seen it land at number one.

The opening compares favourably to Legendary’s Godzilla reboot, the first instalment of their MonsterVerse, which opened with $7.8m (£6.39m) from 550 sites and bigger previews of $1.45m (£1.19m).

That film went on to take $21m (£17.2m) in the UK which seems like a sturdy target for Kong: Skull Island, although it will have to compete with the arrival of Disney’s likely huge Beauty And The Beast remake this Friday (March 17).

Also for Warner Bros, The Lego Batman Movie fell almost 50% with a $1m (£820,000) fifth weekend for $31.7m (£26m) to date.

John Wick: Chapter 2 and Fist Fight stand at $7m (£5.77m) and $891,000 (£729,000), respectively.

FOX

Logan fell 45% (excluding previews) with a non-final $4.7m (£3.86m) second weekend as it dropped to second.

Fox’s latest X-Men offering is now up to a promising $20.6m (£16.86m) after 12 days in play, already making it the biggest solo Wolverine outing in the UK and the fifth-biggest Fox Marvel outing, including Deadpool.

Logan should hit £20m by the end of this coming weekend at the very latest, which would make it only the third X-Men film (excluding Deadpool) to cross the £20m mark.

Also for Fox, Viceroy’s House fell 37% on its way to a $700,000 (£572,904) second weekend for $2.9m (£2.34m) to date, having added around $1m (£850,000) across its first Mon-Thurs period.

Hidden Figures has accumulated $6.5m (£5.31m) after four weeks in play, while Bollywood title Badrinath Ki Dulhania posted a UK debut of $229,000 (£187,585) from its 58 sites.

ALTITUDE

Moonlight remained in fifth as it dropped only 35% with a non-final $582,000 (£476,419) fourth weekend.

Altitude’s Best Picture winner is now up to an excellent $4.1m (£3.35m) in the UK and will be playing in 431 sites overall this week, but not all sites will be playing for the full week.

UNIVERSAL

Sing fell out of the UK’s top five for the first time in its seventh week of release.

Universal’s latest Illumination Entertainment hit dropped 43% with $560,000 (£458,352) for $34.2m (£28m) to date, and will still hope to stick around long enough to hit £30m.

Also for Universal, Fifty Shades Darker is now the second biggest 18-rated film of all time at the UK box office.

The raunchy sequel whipped up a further $370,000 (£302,808) for $27.7m (£22.69m) after five weeks in play, surpassing the final results of Gone Girl and The Wolf Of Wall Street.

TRAFALGAR RELEASING

Elle has given an auspicious start to Lyn Goleby’s newly launched outfit Trafalgar Releasing.

Paul Verhoeven’s critically acclaimed thriller took a strong $310,000 (£253,619) from its 62 sites through Trafalgar Releasing and Lionsgate, including $38,000 (£30,797) in previews, marking a healthy $4,998 (£4,091) site average.

Also for Trafalgar Releasing, NT Live’s Hedda Gabler grossed $789,000 (£645,591) from its 527 sites on Thursday (March 9).

LIONSGATE

Having crossed £30m on Thursday (March 9), Lionsgate’s La La Land danced to an extra $131,000 (£107,000) for a terrific $36.8m (£30.14m) to date.

The result means that the award-winning musical is the distributor’s third biggest release of all time at the UK box office, behind Hunger Games outings Catching Fire ($41.8m/£34.2m) and Mockingjay - Part 1 ($38m/£31.1m).

Also for Lionsgate, Patriots Day stands at $2.1m (£1.72m) and ranks as one of director Peter Berg’s lowest-grossing films in the UK.

VERTIGO RELEASING

Driving into 183 sites through Vertigo Releasing, Joan Collins comedy The Time Of Their Lives had an unmemorable $131,000 (£106,833) UK bow.

PARK CIRCUS

In its second weekend, Park Circus’ Certain Women added $22,000 (£18,271) from its 22 sites for $124,000 (£101,342) to date.

ICON FILM DISTRIBUTION

Including $9,600 (£7,873) in previews, Icon Film Distribution’s The Love Witch posted a UK debut of $18,000 (£14,385) from its 11 sites.

As part of Picturehouse’s Discover Tuesdays, the film will play in 31 sites tomorrow (March 14).

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Disney’s Beauty And The Beast and Universal’s US box office smash Get Out.

Icon Film Distribution’s Personal Shopper receives a wide release, while Curzon Artificial Eye’s The Salesman, Warner Bros’ Wolves At The Door and Studiocanal’s Seoul Station are among the films receiving a limited release.

• Like 2

Both Sing and The Lego Batman Movie has done incredibly well, only £2m between considering Sing had a higher OW and previews. With BATB coming, The Lego Batman Movie will miss £30m but still a solid run for both films. 

Kong should hopefully match Godzilla's total but it depends on how it fares with BATB, Ghost in the Shell and to a lesser extent Power Rangers, Logan is also doing really well. 

What are people expecting for BatB? Pre-sales are insane, especially for a family movie as they usually have big walkups instead. Wouldn't surprise me if it grosses £5m+ on Saturday. I think an opening between £12-13m.

Edited by Heretic

I think £11-12m OW and it could go higher, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends breaking BvS OW which is the highest March opening in the UK. 

April will be interesting, I think Fast 8 five day opening will match Fast 7's OW but it'll have worse legs due to Guardians 2 which likely do at least double what the first film did on its OW.

In May I can see Alien Covenant doing decently and Pirates will do well, not sure on OW but I think Disney would be happy with £7-8m OW, I'm not sure if it hit the same heights as the last three films.

Wonder Woman I imagine if it hits the same numbers as MOS and SS, WB will be very happy, I'm surprised they're not opening midweek or Thursday to coincide with the half term but Warner Bros don't tend to do previews with a couple of exceptions. 

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

My main cinema Has BATB on 8 of 16 on Friday. Going to be HUUUUUUGE. 

It's playing in 4DX which seems like an odd choice for a musical film, it can work well with kids film like Lego Batman but I imagine it'll only really pop out with Be Our Guest and the title song.

Edited by Jonwo

I wouldn't be surprised if BatB has an opening similar to Fantastic Beasts last year (£15.3m). This is truly a 4-quad film, it will do massive business day and night which distinguishes it from more typical family orientated movies.

For comparison, TJB had an OD of £2.2m and ended up with £9.9m Fri-Sun. I'm expecting BatB to do at least £3m on Friday, and with the same internal multiplier as TJB, it will make £13.5m over the weekend, minimum. Starting to think it could have one of the biggest Saturday's ever.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I wouldn't be surprised if BatB has an opening similar to Fantastic Beasts last year (£15.3m). This is truly a 4-quad film, it will do massive business day and night which distinguishes it from more typical family orientated movies.

For comparison, TJB had an OD of £2.2m and ended up with £9.9m Fri-Sun. I'm expecting BatB to do at least £3m on Friday, and with the same internal multiplier as TJB, it will make £13.5m over the weekend, minimum. Starting to think it could have one of the biggest Saturday's ever.

I think BATB while it's a family film, will do better than what most family films do on weekdays as it will appeal to the demo who saw it as kids. 

Get Out should do well, I think Split numbers would be great.

45 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Any news regarding Batb?

Opens tomorrow. Presales are very strong and it's getting a huge number of screens. Hopefully we get some early numbers from Rth.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2