Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

$3.3/$13.5m for Kong. That's a 56% drop, and 51% from the 3 day. That's pretty decent considering we just had one of the biggest openings ever. 

£2.1m ($2.6m) for Get Out. Great opening, could let it to £10m. 

• Like 1

TLJ will probably win. If Rogue One could do £66m, TLJ should have no problem hitting £75m at least. 

It's really difficult to say where BatB will end up until we've seen how it holds. For all we know, if could have a sub 30% drop next weekend on its way to £80m. Or it could just have a fairly standard 3.5x multiplier and end up with £65m, which would still be incredible. Either way, we're in for an exciting run, and with the way it's behaved so far, I feel like there are a few surprises left in store.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Giesi said:

What would all of you predict for BatB' final outcome? Is TLJ's year-end crown in danger? Ep8 would gross around $110M taking account of the same decrease AotC had to deal with and with todays ER!

Sorry, what is TLJ? The Justice League?

Edited by Manchester by the Tree

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Re - Beauty and the Beast. HUGE. Confirmed results at some point this morning.

The actual FUCK?It was already fcking huge and still got underestimated?

Apparently same thing happened in US.Sunday should see a 4-5m bump.I wonder if this trend will continue in other countries too and WW goes over 360M.

MASSIVE increase from estimates. I knew Sunday was way too low after that Saturday result.

DISNEY

Beauty And The Beast has enjoyed a magical start to its UK box office run.

Disney’s latest live-action remake waltzed to a mighty $24.5m (£19.7m), marking the fifth biggest Fri-Sun opening of all time, behind Spectre’s $24.8m (£19.98m), and the eighth-biggest overall opening ever.

The result means Beauty And The Beast has achieved the highest-grossing Fri-Sun opening for a PG-certified movie ever, as well as the biggest ever March opening weekend of all time.

In terms of days, the film’s Saturday take of $9.81m (£7.9m) marks the second-biggest Saturday performance of all time, behind only Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ opening Saturday gross of $10.81m (£8.71m).

Whatever way you look at it, Beauty And The Beast’s debut is remarkable and with strong reviews and word-of-mouth, it is anyone’s guess just how much it can take.

Also for Disney, Moana is set to sail past the £20m mark next weekend, a terrific achievement after its opening weekend take of only $2.75m (£2.21m).

WARNER BROS

Due to the monster arrival of Beauty And The Beast, Kong: Skull Island fell more than 50% (excluding previews) with a $3.34m (£2.69m) second weekend.

Warner Bros’ King Kong reboot is now up to $13.7m (£11.05m) in the UK and is tracking behind Godzilla, the first instalment of Legendary’s MonsterVerse, which stood at $14.7m (£11.81m) at the same stage in its run.

Also for Warner Bros, The Lego Batman Movie swung to a $636,000 (£512,000) sixth weekend for a solid $33m (£26.6m) to date.

Wolves At The Door opened to only $4,400 (£3,542) from its 15 sites.

UNIVERSAL

Get Out proved to be savvy counter-programming from Universal as it enjoyed a brilliant debut.

Universal’s critically acclaimed horror scared up a strong $2.67m (£2.15m) from its 470 sites, marking a healthy $5,676 (£4,573) site average, to chart third on its UK bow.

With strong word-of-mouth, the US box office smash will hope to follow Split’s sustained UK run to hit the £10m mark.

Also for Universal, Sing fell 52% on its way to a $273,000 (£220,056) eighth weekend for $35.1m (£28.28m) to date, while Fifty Shades Darker has now whipped up $28.5m (£22.96m).

FOX

Logan has crossed the £20m mark in the UK after three weeks in play.

Fox’s latest X-Men outing dropped 54% with a non-final $2.18m (£1.76m) for $25.2m (£20.27m) to date, making it the third highest-grossing outing of the series to date and it will soon overtake X2’s $25.7m (£20.66m) result.

Also for Fox, Viceroy’s House added $295,000 (£238,057) for $3.88m (£3.12m) after three weeks in play, while Secret Cinema’s production of Moulin Rouge! has amassed $2m (£1.6m) to date.

Hidden Figures and Bollywood title Badrinath Ki Dulhania have grossed $7.11m (£5.73m) and $415,000 (£334,711), respectively.

LIONSGATE/TRAFALGAR RELEASING

Elle fell 45% (excluding previews) with a $151,000 (£121,683) second weekend.

Lionsgate and Trafalgar Releasing’s critically acclaimed thriller is now up to $643,000 (£518,029), and will soon become the biggest non-Bollywood foreign language release this year, ahead of Toni Erdmann.

CURZON ARTIFICIAL EYE

Asghar Farhadi’s The Salesman recorded his best-ever UK debut, with one site still to report.

Curzon Artificial Eye’s Oscar winner posted a $118,000 (£95,098) bow from its 27 sites, including previews, at a site average of $4,372 (£3,522), topping The Past’s $82,000 (£65,832) from 31 sites.

A Separation is currently Farhadi’s best-ever UK result with $426,000 (£343,002).

ARROW FILMS

From its one-site release at Bertha Dochouse in Curzon Bloomsbury, Arrow Films’ Gleason grossed $1,900 (£1,535), including previews.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Lionsgate’s Power Rangers, Warner Bros’ CHiPs and Studiocanal’s The Lost City Of Z.

Sony’s Life and Vertigo Releasing’s Another Mother’s Son both receive wide releases, while Park Circus’ The Eyes Of My Mother and Soda Pictures’ Age Of Shadows are among the films receiving a limited release.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3

Fri: £4.9m

Sat: £7.9m

Sun: £6.9m

Incredible Sunday hold, down only 13%.

Now to extrapolate for this week. The Jungle Book made £3.7m in its first Mon-Thu. Seeing as BatB literally doubled its opening, £7m weekdays seems reasonable.

As for its 2nd weekend, there is virtually no competition (Power Rangers or Smurfs are hardly going to dent it), but, barring some miracle, it isn't going to drop only 17% like TJB. A 35% drop gives it £12.8m, and 40% gives it £11.8m. Either way it'd be the 3rd biggest 2nd weekend ever. So, by Sunday, BatB should be approaching the £40m mark already. Unless it drops way harder than expected this weekend, I don't see how it doesn't reach at least £70m, especially with Easter holidays coming up. It has a free run until Fast and Furious 8 on April 12th. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Fri: £4.9m

Sat: £7.9m

Sun: £6.9m

Incredible Sunday hold, down only 13%.

Now to extrapolate for this week. The Jungle Book made £3.7m in its first Mon-Thu. Seeing as BatB literally doubled its opening, £7m weekdays seems reasonable.

As for its 2nd weekend, there is virtually no competition (Power Rangers or Smurfs are hardly going to dent it), but, barring some miracle, it isn't going to drop only 17% like TJB. A 35% drop gives it £12.8m, and 40% gives it £11.8m. Either way it'd be the 3rd biggest 2nd weekend ever. So, by Sunday, BatB should be approaching the £40m mark already. Unless it drops way harder than expected this weekend, I don't see how it doesn't reach at least £70m, especially with Easter holidays coming up. It has a free run until Fast and Furious 8 on April 12th. 

I imagine it's more adult skewing compared to The Jungle Book which means it'll probably have stronger weekdays. 

Fast 8 I think will do £12-13m over five days, I'm not sure it'll increase from Fast 7 and even if does, I think Guardians 2 will prevent from doing more than £30m total.

I don't expect Fast 8 to match the 7th. There seems to be less hype this time around. Fast 7 also opened over Easter weekend, but with a Friday opening. Nevertheless, it has a £12.8m 3-day, and £15.6m with Monday included, so pretty huge. With 2 extra days and including Easter Monday, I'm sure Fast 8 can match that figure, and maybe make a run for £30m, compared to £38.5m for Fast 7. 

As for Guardians 2, the first had a great run, opening with £6.3m and ending just below £30m, so an impressive multiplier for a Marvel film. This time, it should open higher, probably around the £9-10m mark with a total similar to, or just above the first.

Pirates 5 will be the next big blockbuster after that, and it'll probably have a similar run to these two films.

Last year had a record number of £30m+ films (11), will be interesting see if this year can top that.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

Just now, Heretic said:

I don't expect Fast 8 to match the 7th. There seems to be less hype this time around. Fast 7 also opened over Easter weekend, but with a Friday opening. Nevertheless, it has a £12.8m 3-day, and £15.6m with Monday included, so pretty huge. With 2 extra days and including Easter Monday, I'm sure Fast 8 can match that figure, and maybe make a run for £30m, compared to £38.5m for Fast 7. 

As for Guardians 2, the first had a great run, opening with £6.3m and ending just below £30m, so an impressive multiplier for a Marvel film. This time, it should open higher, probably around the £9-10m mark with a total similar to, or just above the first.

I'm think £10-12m OW is likely for Guardians and like Civil War it's opening on a Bank holiday. Interestingly when I saw Beauty and the Beast, the only Disney trailer I had was for Coco and the only big blockbuster trailer was Wonder Woman rather than Guardians or Pirates

42 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Can Wonder Woman break out?I mean the film is set in the UK...

Should do well as it is Marvel property. Maybe £25m. Maybe more. Can't really say, depends on reception. 

Edit: DC!!!

Edited by Heretic