Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

40 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Shades £7.8 million 

Batman £7.5 million. 

Photo finish by the looks! Could swap

Lego Batman's numbers include last week's previews so its real OW is just over £5m. Still impressive, I imagine LB had a low Friday but a huge Saturday and Sunday and 50 Shades had a high Friday but fell on Saturday and Sunday.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lego Batman gets number 1 next week, it won't stay flat or increase like The Lego Movie did but a small drop wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by Jonwo

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 The Lego Batman Movie (WB) $9.88m (£7.9m) $9.88m (£7.9m)
2 Fifty Shades Darker (Universal) $9.45m (£7.56m) $9.45m (£7.56m)
3 Sing (Universal) $2.91m (£2.32m) $22.8m (£18.21m)
4 T2 Trainspotting (Sony) $1.75m (£1.4m) $16.9m (£13.5m)
5 La La Land (Lionsgate) $1.18m (£942,787) $33.1m (£26.49m)
  • Like 5

Big increase for Lego Batman and it got to number 1, that numbers is only slightly lower than The Lego Movie's OW

Sing is holding up well although I think Lego Batman has dented it since its drops are high compared to SLOP which might make £30m tricky. 

Edited by Jonwo

Weekend Feb10-12
# Title Opening Date Weekend   Total Distributor
1 Lego Batman Movie, The 2017/2/10 £ 7,906,468 N/A £ 7,906,468 Warner Bros Int'l
2 Fifty Shades Darker 2017/2/10 £ 7,557,485 N/A £ 7,557,485 Universal Int'l
3 Sing 2017/1/27 £ 2,325,281 -39% £ 18,217,102 Universal Int'l
4 T2: Trainspotting 2017/1/27 £ 1,420,910 -52% £ 13,515,865 Sony Int'l
5 La La Land 2017/1/13 £ 949,283 -48% £ 26,497,599 Lionsgate
6 Lion 2017/1/20 £ 753,368 -14% £ 6,427,316 Entertainment Film
7 Split 2017/1/20 £ 682,691 -46% £ 9,584,867 Universal Int'l
8 Hacksaw Ridge 2017/1/27 £ 425,832 -48% £ 4,290,940 Lionsgate
9 Rings 2017/2/3 £ 271,180 -67% £ 1,462,257 Paramount Int'l
10 Space Between Us, The 2017/2/10 £ 258,400 N/A £ 258,400 Entertainment Film 
  • Like 4

Just a note, not all schools actually have half term this week. Most in London do, but in a lot of other places schools are off next week instead of this one. 

Also, Lion is having an excellent run. Hopefully it can leg its way to £10m with the holds it's having. That'd be a near 8x multiplier from its opening. 

Edited by Heretic

The Bafta bounce: La La Land and Lion

At the weekend, the arrival of Lego Batman and Fifty Shades Darker at thousands of screens saw existing films in the market shedding sites, moving into smaller screen capacities and losing showtimes. The likes of T2 Trainspotting (down 52%) and La La Land (down 48%) suffered their biggest falls to date. But La La Land bounced back on Monday, boosted by those five Bafta wins including best film.

The week before, La La Land grossed £203,000 on the Monday. This week it took £225,000. In other words, instead of seeing box office fall by nearly half, as it did at the weekend, La La Land rose 11% on the previous Monday.

With Dev Patel’s surprise supporting actor win figuring strongly in the Bafta conversation, the boost for Lion was even bigger. At the weekend, Lion fell 13% on the previous frame, but Monday was a different story. Lion grossed £170,000 yesterday, compared to £125,000 the previous Monday, a rise of 36%.

The Monday boost for Lion was icing on the cake for a film that has held up particularly strongly ever since its release on 20 January. True, Lion has consistently grossed less than La La Land each weekend, but the gap has narrowed with each passing week. On its opening weekend, Lion grossed £3.1m less than La La Land did over that three-day period (£4.37m v £1.27m). For the latest session, the gap was just £196,000 (£949,000 v £753,000). Lion has now reached £6.4m, which is five times its opening weekend number. There looks to be a long way to go for Lion, as long as it can hold its cinema screens in this competitive marketplace.

Very nice. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3

This weekend will be very busy again. It's been non-stop so far in 2017, must be one of the biggest starts to the year ever.

I expect Lego-Movie will retain the number 1 spot this weekend, with a total around the £15m mark. And there's a whole slate of new releases. Among them, John Wick 2 and Hidden Figures should do pretty well. The Great Wall has IMAX screens and it's been advertised quite heavily, so it could pull in a decent figure too. There's also Moonlight which I'm sure will play well with its target audience.

Lion and La La Land I imagine will have very soft drops this weekend in light of the Bafta's. There should be at least 5 or 6 films above £1m this weekend, which shows how saturated the market is.

I have a feeling that The Wall is going to struggle against the new releases and the holdovers, Fences will do well as its open wide today and it had a strong PTA last weekend 

2 hours ago, PhilipJ2001 said:

£2m for Fifty Shades on Valentine's Day.

We've had a mega week on Lego Batman and Sing. Lego especially the figures must be insane

Lego Batman did seem to hurt Sing a little in its previews and OW but both seem to be coexisting just fine. 

Fifty Shades did well on Valentine's Day although I expect it'll going to have a huge drop 

Edited by Jonwo

The Great Wall opens with estimated £1.8m UK debut

Fifty Shades Darker adds around £3.6m in the UK for £16.9m to date.

John Wick: Chapter 2 shoots to estimated £2.3m UK bow, including previews.

The Lego Batman Movie swings to extra estimated £4.6m and has now built up £17.6m in the UK.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

nice numbers all around. did batman even drop at all from last weekend? which would be nuts especially considering its just had 4 days (excluding the Friday in the weekend) of half term holiday.

It dropped only 16% excluding previews. 

Some areas of the country have half term this week, so it should have another strong week coming up.

Edited by Heretic