Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

You know any twitter accounts or websites I can use to track Alita in the UK?

From a box office perspective? Pass, any info I find comes from here. Likelihood is, unless it launches way above what anyone expects, there likely won't be much news until late in the weekend. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You know any twitter accounts or websites I can use to track Alita in the UK?

UK box office tracking is useless, you wont get anything until international BO report on Sunday evening.

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

UK box office tracking is useless, you wont get anything until international BO report on Sunday evening.

sad

when you look at South Korean it's night and day

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

sad

when you look at South Korean it's night and day

I don't really know why it is. UK is usually second or (behind China) third biggest market for a hollywood film. It is bizarre that we don't have transparent BO tracking in the way that many many smaller markets do.

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

It's not rated 15? When I bought my tickets it said 12A

3 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

All 4 formats for Alita got a 12a from the bbfc. 

I realised my problem. The Limitless preview tickets are rated 15 by Odeon, so any film you watch at a preview says 15 on the ticket. It came up as 12A when the bbfc thing came up, but my phone was off by this point. 

3 hours ago, Avatree said:

nice one! enjoy the film, let us know what you think! :)

I'll try not to spoil anything.

Overall it was Epic but localised. Action scenes are phenomenal. The eyes irked me for a solid hour before I was able to comfortably tolerate them.

There's a chance that WOM may be not great for one specific reason. PM me for more info on that if you wish, though it may be spoilery.

I would watch again if anything only for the action sequences... they really were beautiful. Although screen wasn't bright enough for 3D still (a bright day appeared as dark as an overcast day)

I enjoyed it, though I'm not sure it's necessarily for the General Audience.

2 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

It came up as 12A when the bbfc thing came up, but my phone was off by this point.

good man.

2 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

would watch again if anything only for the action sequences... they really were beautiful. Although screen wasn't bright enough for 3D still (a bright day appeared as dark as an overcast day)

I enjoyed it, though I'm not sure it's necessarily for the General Audience.

This is why I dont watch 3D, it is just way too dark, sucks. Especially in a movie that looks mostly set in dark...

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

good man.

This is why I dont watch 3D, it is just way too dark, sucks. Especially in a movie that looks mostly set in dark...

Don't worry Jim is cracking the whip on that, atleast in America.

It's disgusting though my local Cinema dims the bulb massively. Really sad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

good man.

The 3D was fantastic though, especially in the action scenes. And the movie is probably at most 50% in the dark, which is surprising given the trailers.

@feasby007 thanks. I will still only be watching in 2D. Will watch ava2 in 3D though.

@IronJimbo there is not a whole lot they can do. Sure they can write a letter to the cinemas, as has happened many times but will the cinema actually act upon it?

This is why if I want properly projected film I will buy an IMAX ticket. It's sad though that most local average cinemas can fail to do the most basic job of projecting a movie correctly.

so many times I'll go to the cinema and:

- very dirty screen

- crackling audio / broken speakers

- extra light coming in to screen from Fire  Exit signs placed in poor positions

- image projected wonky so some of the frame goes on to the wall / under / over the screen

- 3D not turned up to compensate for 30% darker glasses

its pathetic. That is the whole business, projecting movies. And half the cinemas cant do it right. and no one in the audience gives a crap.

SAD !

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

@feasby007 thanks. I will still only be watching in 2D. Will watch ava2 in 3D though.

@IronJimbo there is not a whole lot they can do. Sure they can write a letter to the cinemas, as has happened many times but will the cinema actually act upon it?

This is why if I want properly projected film I will buy an IMAX ticket. It's sad though that most local average cinemas can fail to do the most basic job of projecting a movie correctly.

Oh, also... I'll put in spoiler box just in case, but I don't think it is one:

Spoiler

There's an underwater scene and a wonder whether Cameron leant his tech to Rodriguez, as that scene was visually stunning. I think even more so than Aquaman which I found a little quirky at times.

Just now, Avatree said:

Projection across this area as a whole is a problem, not just for 3D. I've had crazy dim projection at 2D shows, mirror images at 3D shows, incorrect cropping and framing, images going out of the screen as well. And that's not to mention places that don't seem to give a shit when speakers have been out for best part of a year. I swear, when I get my cinema, it's going to be the perfect experience every time. 

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Projection across this area as a whole is a problem, not just for 3D. I've had crazy dim projection at 2D shows, mirror images at 3D shows, incorrect cropping and framing, images going out of the screen as well. And that's not to mention places that don't seem to give a shit when speakers have been out for best part of a year. I swear, when I get my cinema, it's going to be the perfect experience every time. 

i just edited my post above to say exactly that. Filthy screens, broken speakers, dim projection. it's a shit show. Why cant they just do it properly. It's not even difficult, it's just lazy. I know cinemas run on tight budgets but it really is very poor.

Plenty of times when the whole film just kind of suddenly goes darker, sometimes I think I am going crazy but no I dont think so. Like when you have a light on in the house and you run the shower it suddenly goes a bit dimmer.

Disappointing for Escape Room, especially after last weekend's strong previews:

1 How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 2019-02-01 £ 5,323,448 £ 5,323,448 Universal Int'l
2 Green Book 2019-02-01 £ 1,672,562 £ 1,672,562 eOne Films
3 Glass 2019-01-18 £ 944,735 £ 8,641,332 Walt Disney Int'l
4 Escape Room 2019-02-01 £ 820,218 £ 820,218 Sony Int'l
5 Mary Queen Of Scots 2019-01-18 £ 782,198 £ 6,623,402 Universal Int'l
6 Vice 2019-01-25 £ 581,985 £ 2,528,464 eOne Films
7 Mary Poppins Returns 2018-12-21 £ 530,842 £ 42,941,029 Walt Disney Int'l
8 Can You Ever Forgive Me? 2019-02-01 £ 518,230 £ 518,230 Fox Int'l
9 Stan And Ollie 2019-01-11 £ 413,289 £ 9,270,294 eOne Films
10 Favourite, The 2019-01-04 £ 410,001 £ 14,019,668 Fox Int'l
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

additional numbers to the ones in feasby007's post

Ralph Breaks The Internet +  £202,000 =  £17.9m

A Dog’s Way Home + £395,000 = £1.2m.

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse +  £227,000 = £10m -39%

The Mule + £288,000 = £1.4m -60%

Aquaman + £175,000 = £22.3m 

A Star Is Born = £29.9m

Everybody’s Talking About Jamie + £219,562 = £951,931

Bumblebee + £173,000 = £12.4m

Second Act + £146,915 64% = £751,102 -64%

The Upside + £70,615 = £2m

Burning, which premiered In Competition at Cannes last year, opened with £39,562 from 34 locations this weekend for an average of £1,163.

Free Solo £39,298 = £1.6m

Colette + £38,114 = £1.9m

Destroyer = £192,535

Beautiful Boy + £37,084 = £836,058

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2